Status: complete!(:

It's Yours

Fifteen.

Sometime I fell asleep. While I drifted I remembered:

Jake’s eyes were cold and distant.

“This isn’t working Em. You never give me anything in this relationship. All I do is give and give and you never return the favor. I’ve found someone new.”

Tears were falling from my eyes.

“Please, please, don’t do this Jake! I’ll give you anything! I swear to God that I’ll give you anything!”

“It’s a little late for that Emma. You know what I want. You never gave it to me. Even now I can tell that you won’t. Even with me leaving. I found someone who will. See you around, Em.”

Jake lifted two fingers and waved. Then he turned and walked away. I ran through the rain after him, pleading, begging, crying. He didn’t turn around. I collapsed on the street corner.

Paul found me an hour later. He lifted me up and carried me home.

“He left.”

It was a statement, not a question. I nodded and turned into Paul’s shoulder. He changed me from my wet clothes and gave me a hot bath. He tucked me into bed like I was a child.


“Look, she’s even crying in her sleep. What happened Thom?” Becky’s voice was blubbery and worried.

“I don’t know. She wouldn’t talk to me. She wouldn’t move. I think Melissa and Jake have something to do with it though. Those are the only two that she’s really talked to all day. I don’t buy for one second that Melissa never found her.” Thom’s voice was quiet and pained.

“You have to fix her Thom. She can’t do this on her own. FIX HER GOD DAMMIT!!!” Becky was hysterical.

“Miss! This girl has suffered from extreme trauma and abuse. She needs peace and quiet and if you cannot contain yourself I’m going to have to ask you to leave.” A nurse’s voice reprimanded quietly.

Becky was silent. Somebody brushed the hair off of my face.

“Poor baby. C’mon kids. Let’s go get something to eat.” I heard Mrs. Numez’s voice say.

I wanted to cry out to her. She was much more of a mother than mine had ever been. Instead I just wept harder. The room quieted and I drifted back to sleep.

RingRingRing.

Pick up Jake! Pick up!

RingRingRing.

“Hello?”

“I miss you.”

“Emma, I already told you, we’re done. You don’t make me happy anymore.”

“If you’d just give me a chance I could make you the happiest man alive.”

“And that includes…?”

“E-v-e-r-y-thing.” I tried to make my voice as sexy as possible.

“Do you really mean it?”

“I can show you better than I can tell you.” I purred.

“Okay. I’ll take you up on that offer. I really missed you too, Em. It feels so right to be your boyfriend again.”

The line went dead. I breathed a sigh of relief as my world righted itself.

“Emma the guy’s a worthless piece of shit. Don’t fall for him again.”

“Do you know how rude it is to spy, Paul? And I’m pretty sure that tapping someone’s phone line isn’t exactly legal. Besides, I love him and he loves me. We’re meant to be together.”

“First of all, I’m not spying, or tapping your phone line. I came into your house to use your phone since mine isn’t working and you were on the phone when I went to use it. Secondly, if he loves you why did he leave?”

“We just had a little disagreement. It’s all over now. Everything is all better.”

“Are you always this delusional, Emma?”