Status: complete!(:

It's Yours

Nineteen.

The nurse came back in with a tiny needle. I knew better than to watch. Instead I turned to Dr. McKenzie.

“Can you tell me exactly what’s going to happen?”

Another smile. “Of course! Right now it seems that you are one month away from the end of your first trimester. Each trimester is three months long, so there are three trimesters.

“Around the 26 week we can tell the gender of the baby. Unless of course you want it to be a surprise.”

A sharp intake of breath from me as the needle punctured my skin. Dr. McKenzie looked at me sympathetically.

“At around 22 weeks you will have a pretty definite bump. I would suggest getting maternity clothing but it looks like you already have some.”

The blood draw was done by now. The nurse placed a band-aid over the tiny puncture wound as Dr. McKenzie picked up a little stack of prescription note cards.

“I also think it would be a good idea to tell your parents, but I’m not going to force you to.”

“I’m going to tell them.” I told her. “They’re in South Africa right now but they get back in a little over a week. I’m telling them then.”

I gazed down at my belly. My hands absentmindedly stroked the ever growing bump.

“Okay then. I think that we’re done here. Next month we’ll do an ultrasound. Make sure to schedule with the receptionist outside.”

Dr. McKenzie left. The nurse and I followed suit and I went to the desk outside to make sure I could get an ultrasound.

The receptionist glared daggers at me while she clacked noisily on her computer.

“I’d like for it to be around 2:00 if that’s possible. Or on a weekend.”

She shot me a nasty smirk. “It seems that the only time available is in two weeks at seven in the morning on Monday. Beyond that its about a two month wait.”

I sighed. “Okay fine. That time works.”

I started to walk away. As I reached the door I heard another mother schedule an ultrasound for next Saturday at one. I looked over my shoulder at the desk. The receptionist gave me a smile of pure malice. Slut. She mouthed. Bitch. I mouthed back. Then I whipped my head around and strode out the door, my head held high.