Status: complete!(:

It's Yours

Twenty-Four.

“Babe, stop calling them.” Thom said as I emerged from the bathroom, crying. He didn’t believe for one second that I was just upset about the vomit.

“I can’t, Thom.” I sniffed. “They’re my parents.”

Thom sighed and pulled me close. I cried into his shirt, getting my snot and tears all over it. He didn’t care.

“Em, they don’t deserve a daughter as sweet and loving as you. If they can’t see how hard this is for you and try to help you, they shouldn’t matter.” I was going to interrupt but Thom kept talking.

“I know that you love them and that they matter to you. But, sweetie, you don’t need this stress.”

He was right. We had finals coming up and I was nearing my 18th week which meant another ultrasound. Those always stressed me out because I was so scared of how the nurses would judge me. And on top of that Christmas was getting closer and closer and I had yet to buy gifts for anyone.

“You two! Get to class!” A hall monitor yelled at us. Thom shot her a dirty look. Then she seemed to realize who we were. “Oh, umm, I’m sorry. Never mind.” She ducked her head a scurried away.

“Well that’s one good thing.” Thom chuckled into my ear.

“What are you talking about?” I asked, pulling away so that I could look him in the eye.

“You now have the power to scare the hall monitors shitless.”

I smiled and began giggling. Thom seemed pleased that he had managed to cheer me up.

“C’mon.” He said, slinging his arm around my shoulder. “You need a break.”

I smiled and let him lead me to his car. With Thom around everything seemed right.

“So where to, Oh Hall Monitor Master?” He asked teasingly, opening the car door and gesturing me inside.

I turned to him and smiled.

“Food. I am starving!!”

“Food it is.”

I laughed and turned up the radio. My hands folded over my baby bump. Thom pulled out of the snow covered school parking lot and headed towards the food district of town.

“So what sounds good?” He asked.

I grinned evilly and he sighed.

“McDonalds again?”

I nodded and gave him my best puppy dog look. He sighed again and turned into the Golden Arches drive through. I laughed as he slid down the window and gave my order to the box. We pulled through and Thom made fake disgusted noises as I ate my cheeseburger and fries. I was surprised when he didn’t head back to school though.

“Where are we going?” I asked between mouthfuls.

He gritted his teeth and mumbled something I couldn’t understand as the car came to a stop at one of the few lights in town. I raised an eyebrow at him and he sighed.

“It’s your 18th week. You have an ultrasound.”

My body went into panic mode. I shouldn’t be this afraid. People judged me at school every day. But being there? Where everyone else so obviously belonged? It was terrifying. Thom registered the fear in my eyes and the speed of my breathing. His hand reached out to my knee automatically and began comforting me.

“Shhhhh. Shhhh. Em. Em. Emma.” He said soothingly. I stared out the snow spattered window, crumbling inside. He reached out to turn my face towards his. I looked at him, reluctantly.

“It’s going to be okay.” He promised. “No one is going to hurt you. I won’t leave your side. I promise.”

“Pinky?” I asked shakily, sticking out my little finger.

“I pinky promise Emma Rae Campbell. I will always be here to protect you. No matter the cost.”

I almost kissed him. Right then and there, I almost reached over and kissed him right on his gorgeous lips. I loved him so much. Instead I settled for his cheek. He smiled and pulled the car forward.

I felt a bit of the adrenaline coming back into my system as Thom pulled into the tiny little medical cul-de-sac ten minutes later. Instead I just pulled at my lower lip and allowed Thom to help me out of the car. As much as I hated to admit it, I wasn’t small anymore. I had gained a good 12.5 pounds and I was horrified at the thought of sleeping on my stomach. This baby was definitely getting big.

As we walked into the clinic heads turned, as usual. There were three other moms waiting. Two wore sour faces, as did the receptionist, naturally. One seemed friendly enough. She looked as though she was at least six months into her pregnancy. Thom smiled at everyone and ushered me towards the chairs as he went to check me in. I scurried towards the nicer looking mother. I gave her a hesitant smile before sitting down two chairs away from her. She turned towards me.

“You’re first baby huh?” She said kindly.

I nodded, trying not to look at her, afraid of the expression that might be etched on her face.

“That’s got to be rough.”

I nodded again.

“How far along are you?”

I looked up hesitantly before whispering, “18 weeks.”

“It’s getting hard to sleep I bet. I’m on my second child, but I remember when I had my little girl four years ago. It was hard. I was just 18.”

I looked up at her, now realizing how young she was. She smiled before continuing.

“It was so hard to sleep after 18 weeks, I was so afraid I would crush my poor baby. You should really look at buying a full body pillow. It’ll help.”

She smiled again as Thom sat down. “You must be the father.”

“Yes.” I said, smiling, before Thom could get a word out. He kissed my cheek and I blushed.

“Well congratulations. I hope everything works out for you.”

“Jane Addams?” A nurse called out. The woman, Jane, went to stand up. Thom hurried over to help her and she smiled before disappearing with the nurse. Just then another nurse appeared.

“Emma Campbell?” I squeezed Thom’s hand as he helped me up. Together we walked towards the nurse.