Status: complete!(:

It's Yours

Three.

I decided to skip school for the day. Besides, I still didn’t have my voice. Becky begged for me to let her stay home too. I smiled - fake and plastic - and shoved her out the door. I needed a ‘me’ day. I opened a can of Sprite. I was still having dry heaves, but it felt good to have something in my stomach.

Then it was off to the drugstore. I donned an Ashton High sweatshirt and ball cap, placed a huge pair of Dolche and Gabbona sunglasses over my eyes, and ran all the way.

It was so natural. So right. I felt like I could fly. My legs pumped faster as I repeated over and over in my head: Jake had a condom. Jake had a condom. But truthfully, I couldn’t remember if he did. I wasn’t paying attention to him when we had sex now. Tears streamed down my face. I couldn’t be a mom! I couldn’t!

Five blocks later I was there. I don’t know how many tests I grabbed; I just shoved them onto the counter and kept my head down.

“That’ll be $45.75.” The cashier had a droning voice. It hurt my ears. I threw down a fifty and bolted without my change. I got home and chugged about a gallon of cold coffee. A minute later I peed on all five tests. Another minute later I checked them.

Test Number 1: Positive
Test Number 2: Positive
Test Number 3: Positive
Test Number 4: Positive
Test Number 5: Negative

I tallied up the ‘Positive’ test at least ten times. But they always came to the same number. It was official. I was pregnant with Jake’s bastard.