Status: complete!(:

It's Yours

Nine.

I laughed shakily and nodded as Paul pulled me to my feet. Thom reached his hand out as I lifted my shirt up. He lightly brushed his fingers across my belly cradling both hands around me.

“Wow. You hardly even have a bump. Whoa!” He jumped back.

Immediately my hands were crossed protectively across my stomach.

“What is it?!? What’s wrong?”

“I felt a heartbeat.”

“No way! That is so cool!” I could feel it now too. My stomach was moving ever so slightly up-and-down, up-and-down. And suddenly, an epiphany hit me. I swayed and tumbled down as the thought swirled in my head.

“Em? Emma? EMMA?” Paul and Thom were yelling.

“I fine. Fine.” I breathed as I stood back up.

“What the hell was that?!?”

“Nothing, Paul, nothing.”

Thom wound his arms around me. I leaned my head against his shoulder. I knew I shouldn’t. Thom had told me he loved me in the sixth grade. This was not going to help him. But I couldn’t do anything else. I was still plagued by my realization.

I was having a baby. I was in charge of another person. I was in charge of a baby. I had a child inside me, depending on me for survival. I was freaking pregnant!!!! It was a surprising thing to realize.

“First things first,” said Thom over the top of my head, “you have to tell Jake.”

I pulled away so that I could look into his eyes.

“What?”

“Thom’s right, Em. Jake has a right to know. It’s his baby too.”

They were ganging up on me and I didn’t like it.

“I am not telling Jake. He’s not even here. He’s off in Ohio and he’s probably got a new girlfriend and a new life and he…he…he…”

I couldn’t talk for the tears. Thom pulled me closer to him again and began running his fingers through my hair, soothing me.

“It’s okay, Emma. He’s not going to be able to hurt you ever again.” He whispered in my ear.

“Yeah,” agreed Paul, “and if that bastard ever cheats on you again I’m gonna open up a can of whoop ass on him!!”

I gave a weak smile and pulled out my cell phone. Thom let go of me and I wandered into the bathroom. I gently shut the door behind me. I could hear Thom and Paul’s footsteps as they rushed to the door to eavesdrop. Well at least they wouldn’t be able to see my face. Jake answered after the fourth ring. Not a good sign.

“Hey baby can this wait? I’m kinda busy.” He sounded like he was panting. I thought that I could hear a girl’s voice calling him back to bed. My tears started again.

“No, actually Jake it can’t.” My voice was wobbly. Dammit.

“Babe I know you want to talk but right now my grandparents have company over.”

“Jake. I have to tell you this.”

“Seriously babe. We’ll talk later.” He hung up on me.

I spent the rest of the day at Paul’s. Thom never left my side. I felt as though I was leading him on, but I needed him. And Paul. I needed both of them. Jake had left me for the first slut he could find. I couldn’t trust him anymore. Even if I loved him with all of my heart and soul he couldn’t be there for me. Thom and Paul would always be there for me. They were the only ones that would get me through this.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, before you guys think I made up the heartbeat thing, I didn't. Once a baby has a heart, you can feel it through your stomach sometimes. However rare it may be, it definately happens. Emma is far enough along that her baby has a beating heart. I did a lot of research to make sure this was possible and it is. I'll update soon, and I really love hearing what you guys think so comment if you want(: