Status: Finished

No More Secrets

13

A few days after our first date, Brendon called my cell phone.

“You won’t believe what I found out!” he said excitedly. I had come to find out that Brendon got excited over the littlest of things, his favorite song on the radio, finding a penny in the street and getting the last Oreo in the package.

“What did you find out, Brendon?” I asked

“The carnival is in town!” he sang. “And Ryan and I were going to ask you and Sam to go with us tonight.”

“Well, we are starting to run out of excuses for going out so much.” I said playfully. He always had an off the wall excuse for us to use. But taking care of an elderly squirrel with a limp could only be used so many times. “But we would love to go.”

"Sweet! We’ll meet you outside the gate at seven! And tell your moms you went out to party with a group of blind, diabetic beatniks.”

“Why are they diabetic?”

“So they can’t drink, duh!”

At seven, I told mom that Sam and I were going for a walk. She was the only one who was around enough to find our sudden friendship…unexpected. She never asked what was going on, but preferred to see it as the beginning of her and Deidra's new relationship. Sam didn’t have to say anything to her mom, she was out at a business meeting and Charlotte was, once again, at a party with her friends.

We walked to the gate, trying not to run and look suspicious. But as soon as we were out of sight, we ran to the car where Ryan and Brendon were waiting. Sam ran to Ryan and wasted no time in making out. Brendon and I had a little more dignity then that and said hello before he grabbed me around the waist and pulling me towards him. He was so warm and smelt so good. Like spearmint gum, laundry detergent, a hint of Abercrombie cologne and a smell that was all him.

“You ready?” he asked with our foreheads touching.

“Let’s go!” I said leading him to the car.

“Break it off or I’m leaving you!” Brendon yelled at Ryan and Sam, who finally came up for air.

“You wouldn’t leave us.” Ryan said as he and Sam climbed in the back.

“Yes I would have. I don’t want to miss the carnival and wouldn’t have thought twice if you guys didn’t move.” Brendon said as he drove down the street.

Ryan muttered something like “Some friend.”

When we got to the carnival, Sam and Ryan ran off towards the Ferris wheel and Brendon and I walked along, holding hands, looking at the different rip off games. In the very back corner was an ancient looking bumper cars ride. Brendon stopped, pointed and said in a daze

“Let’s go on that one!”

We ran over and got in line with the pre-teens. Absent mindedly, Brendon started swinging our interlocked hands as we waited. Five minutes later the line started moving and we ran to get into a dilapidated car. As I pulled the safety bar down I looked at Brendon who was staring at a little blonde girl in pigtails of about five who was in a car by herself and having trouble seeing over the steering wheel. Brendon looked over at me and I smiled

“Go, I doubt she could drive it by herself.”

He smiled and went to go sit by the little girl who stared at him silently. He asked if he could sit with her and she nodded and looked on terrified as he scooted her over and sat in the driver seat. I looked up and saw a pudgy eleven year old boy with a buzz cut looking shyly at me.

“All of the other cars are taken, can I sit with you?”

“Even better” I said moving over “You can drive.”

“Thanks!” he said jumping in next to me.

“Just do me a favor and hit that guy as many times as you can.” I said pointing to Brendon and the little blonde. As soon as the ride started the boy in my car took off and started ramming everyone! And, doing as I instructed, hit Brendon’s car at least nine times before Brendon drove away with the little girl laughing her head off. She was pointing to different people and telling him to ram them. Which Brendon did, along with screeching sounds that made her laugh even more. The kid driving my car was relentless! He followed Brendon and hit him several more times.

Brendon dropped back and chased us.

“Get them! Get them!” screeched the little girl.

“They are coming after us!” I yelled at the boy.

“Oh no!” he cried as we t-boned another car. We were jerked forward at the impact and were immediately thrown backwards as Brendon and the blonde collided with us. This caused a mass pile up in which the carnie had stopped the ride. The little boy thanked me for letting him ride and ran off into the crowd. Brendon helped the little girl out of the car and she smiled and also ran off.

“That was fun.” He said as we walked away from the bumper cars and the grumbling carnie. “What next?”

We spent two hours going on rides and playing the rigged games they had. I told Brendon to ignore the games, but he was finally suckered into the throwing darts after being heckled by a carnie.

“I bet I can win one of those huge stuffed penguins.” He said smugly. I looked at the large penguins that were wearing top hats.

“Alright, and I bet dinner you can’t.”

“You’re on!” he said grabbing the darts from the carnie.

“You get three tries.” The guy behind the rail said with a toothless grin. “And I bet your lady friend would really like to take home a prize.”

Brendon took aim and popped a red balloon. A grin spread across his face. With a flick of the wrist he popped a green one. He knew he was going to win.

“Looks like you owe me dinner.” He said as he took aim. I leaned in a kissed his ear right before he threw it. The dart didn’t even make it to the board.

“OOHH.” The carnie said shaking his head.

“She cheated!” Brendon said outraged. “She distracted me!”

“All women are distracting.” The carnie smiled. “But you did good, so you get a panda instead.”

He handed Brendon a small panda that was holding a purple heart.

“You owe me dinner.” I said walking away from the stand.

“No! I won a prize!” he said dancing the panda in my face.

“I believe the wager was if you won the penguin. You have a panda.”

“Damn it.” He said staring at the toy. “Do you like Chinese or Italian?”