Status: Finished

No More Secrets

3

After Aunt Deidra was done playing hostess we went up to the guest suite. That’s right, we had a suite. When we got up to our rooms, I opened the doors to a balcony that faced the river. The lattice work was next to our balcony with the big purple flowers that gave off a sweet, all most hypnotizing scent. The swimming musician was gone. On the up side, we had a spectacular view of the river. Mom and I had just opened our bags to unpack when a soft knock was heard at the door. I got up and opened it. Nancy was standing there with a huge smile on her face.

“Hey there!” She said with a smile. Nancy was in her forties, but would never admit it out loud, blonde and one of the nicest people I knew. I really doubted this woman had ever mentally left high school. She was funny, sarcastic, and so overly dramatic; she could put any day time soap star to shame.

“How was the drive?” she asked my mom. Nancy was always making sure we were comfortable in our suite, even if tension was running high downstairs.

“I’m just glad our car made it.” Mom sighed “Anything new here?”

‘Well, both of the terrorists aren’t back from school yet, so you have a chance to relax before they come home.” She said referring to Charlotte and Samantha. “They’ll be back tomorrow so be prepared. They just finished their second year at Yale and I’m sure you are going to get an earful. Charlotte just broke up with her boyfriend of three months so try not to mention love, relationships stuff like that. And Samantha has changed her major for the fourth time, so don’t ask what classes she’s taking.”

“Wow. What can we say around them?” I asked. “Not that I’m going to have a conversation with them. I just want to know what will get me in trouble.”

Nancy smiled. “The usual: hair, makeup, and their latest trip to Europe.” She knew how I loathed my cousins and did everything in her power to keep me away from them. But, sadly sometimes it was inevitable. I had to spend time with them.

That evening, I made my way down to the dock. I kinda hoped that guy would see me and come out. But after thirty minutes of floating in the river, no one came. So, I trudged back up to the room for a shower. We weren’t going to eat with Aunt Deidra tonight because she had a business meeting.

I got my shower and was walking around in my p.j’s, combing my hair when I noticed lights on in the house across the river. I stood by the open doors leading to the balcony when the guy walked into view. His bedroom was directly across from our suite! I didn’t want to spy, but I couldn’t stop watching him. He was on the phone, pacing around his room. After a few minutes, he hung up and ran his hands through his hair, making it stand up a little.

“How cute.” I thought. He paced around for a minute more then he went to his dresser and got shorts and a tee shirt out.

“Oh no.”

He started taking his jeans off when I heard the door open. I quickly closed the doors and started combing out my hair. It was my mom.

“What were you doing?” she asked. I tried not to look embarrassed.

“Um, ya know, just combing out my hair.” I said showing her my comb. She came over to the doors and opened them. “Well, it’s too hot to keep the doors closed. We’ll keep them opened until we go to sleep ok?”

When she opened the doors I glanced over at the house. He was gone.

The next morning, mom and I were eating breakfast in our room when Nancy came bursting in. She bared the door with her arms.

“Batten down the hatches!” She hurriedly whispered. “The Terror Twins are going to be here in 10 minutes!”

Mom hurried to get ready. I didn’t feel like getting dressed up to see cousins who didn’t want to see me. So, I just put on jeans and a tee shirt and took longer than necessary to do my hair.

“Lilly!” mom said when she saw my dark blue jeans and purple tank top. “You are going to see your cousins. Don’t you have anything nicer?” She should talk! She was wearing almost the same thing I was!

“These are nice!” I said indicating my jeans. “There are no holes, rips or paint on these jeans. These are jeans I wear to church! And the clothes I wear to God’s house are nice enough to wear when I see my cousins.” Who are the Devil reincarnate.

Five minutes later, we where downstairs waiting in front of Deidra's grand stair case. I tried to not notice the painting, it just creeped me out. The minutes dragged on as I waited for inevitable humiliation and torture. Why did mom insist on coming? She knew I hated these people. SHE hated them. For years she had tried to make a peace between her and her sister. But being the youngest, she always looked up to Deidra and tried to get her approval. I was so glad I was an only child.

“Their here.” whispered Nancy, who was stationed by the door. Reg straitened his tie, took a deep breath and walked out the door.

We could hear a car pull up and the closing of two car doors. Deidra was already outside waiting for them and we could hear her greeting her children.

“AHHHHHH! YOU’RE HERE! I MISSED YOU!”

The door flew open and there where my cousins, in all their Gucci glory. Charlotte was a little taller than Samantha, carrying matching hand bags. Both girls had shoulder length light brown hair and hazel eyes. Charlotte’s greatest weapon was her eyes. She could bore into your soul, leave you raw and open without batting an eyelash. She was obsessed with green so of course her outfit was in all green. She was wearing a green mini skirt, green blazer with green skinny heels, and her hair was slicked into a low ponytail.

Samantha’s favorite color was blue. She was wearing blue halter top, blue skinny jeans with blue ballet flat shoes. Unlike her sister, Samantha was far less intimidating. She had square bangs that set her apart from her sister and always seemed to shrink into Charlotte's shadow even though she was permanently attached at the hip. They stopped for a moment to gaze at their domain and walked in. Deidra came in after them and Reg was left outside to bring in their many bags.

“Girls,” Deidra was saying “Your aunt Meredith and Cousin Lillian have come to visit us during the summer. Now, I want you two to entertain them and treat them like guests.”

Fat chance.

Charlotte walked over to us and looked us up and down. She had the same calculating look as the creepy painting. She smirked at our worn jeans and dirty tennis shoes.

“Oh, momma,” She said not looking at her mother, but staring us down. “You don’t need to worry. We’ll have a great time with each other. We always do, right?” She turned to stare at me. Intimidation was her greatest weapon.”Lilly, we always have fun together? DON’T we?” she said pointedly.

“Yes.” I said. “We always have fun together.” Charlotte smirked. No matter how much I resolved NOT to be intimidated by her, I always bended to her will. Aunt Deidre motioned towards the living room and we followed her inside.As we sat in her huge living room, Deidra said “Girls, tell us how your trip was.”

For the next 30 minutes, we had to hear stories of first class airplane stewardess who gave them the wrong temperature water and chauffeurs who wouldn’t stop to let them out to go shopping during afternoon rush hour. After an hour of Charlotte going on and on, we were allowed to go so they could freshen up and go out for dinner.

“Good God.” I said. “I’ve never been so bored in my entire life! And I’m a survivor of Mr.Tenebaum’s physics class.”

Mom smiled. She was bored as well, but was too polite to say anything. Again, we were going to eat alone, but this time on the covered porch. Deidra , Charlotte and Samantha were going out. But I wasn’t complaining. Mom and I were sitting in silence. She had her eyes closed ‘resting’. I knew she was glad to get out of our apartment. It was small and we were always getting into one another’s way. I glanced out to the river and saw him.

The mysterious swimming guy was outside, again. That was what I was going to call him until I found out his name. The M.S was walking around the side of his house with another guy about the same age. The M.S’s friend was just as tall as he was, had light brown hair a little longer than The M.S and was a bit skinnier. I watched them for a while. The M.S was showing his friend the river and pointing things out, when he pointed to Deidra's house! They stood there for a few minutes when I realized they were trying to look into the porch!
Do I ignore them? Do I wave and let them know that I can see them? What do I do?

Fortunately, I was saved from deciding on what to do because they waved at me! I looked at mom who was snoring softly in her chair. And when I looked back and they still where waving! I smiled shyly and waved back. They said something to each other, waved AGAIN, and went to the front of the house. I didn’t know if I should feel awkward or a little excited.