Status: Updates will be very slow, but I'll try to get them out as quickly as I can.

The Chronicles of the Forgotten Potter

Chapter 1: An Introduction and a Reunion

Image

Harry Potter woke up with a start upon hearing a loud noise coming from down stairs. The Dursleys were out accepting some award for gardening or something along those lines, leaving him alone in the house. He had been feeling alone and resentful all summer due to the absence of communication with his friends who had seemed to have disappeared from the face of the planet. After the run-in with the dementors, his sister had gone with Dumbledore, much to the dissatisfaction of the Potter twins. He had not received word from either her or Sirius and it had bothered him greatly. It was the first time that he and his sister had spent a birthday apart in the three years that had passed since they had been reunited for the first time after the murder of their parents. To put it simply, Harry was not in a good mood and the fact that he had been woken up in the middle of the might by a possible intruder downstairs was not helping his temper at all.

He grabbed his wand from his nightstand and put on his glasses before getting up and creeping over to his bedroom door. He paused listening to make sure that he wasn’t hearing things. Another loud noise confirmed his original suspicions of an intruder in the lower level of the house. He slowly opened the door, trying to make as little noise as possible so as not to give away his position. He could hear the sound of voices and movement coming from the living room and kitchen areas as he poked his head out from his room. He crept to the top of the stairs to see if he could possibly better assess the situation from their when he noticed a girl standing at the bottom of the stairs talking rather animatedly to a man in a hushed tone. As he came to a stop at the top of the staircase, her head snapped to face his direction. “Harry!” she exclaimed, he could tell that she was grinning by the sound of her voice. “Kat?” he asked, instantly recognizing the voice of his twin with a small smile.

She began to walk towards him when the man that she had been speaking with stopped her, “Stop. How do we know that he’s not the real Harry Potter?” The man’s voice was gruff and very familiar. “Oh, honestly Alastair,” snapped Kat. “Now, now Alastair,” came the voice of Remus Lupin. Harry began to wonder just how many people were wandering the first floor of the Dursley’s house. “Here’s a question that only Harry Potter should know,” Remus continued, “What is the form that your patronus takes?” Harry was thankful that Lupin had been his defense against the dark arts professor, “A stag.” Moody grunted, not entirely convinced. Kat rolled her eyes, “For further verification, what is the form of my patronus?” Harry smiled at his sister’s quick wittedness and at her obvious irritation with the man who would have been their defense against the darks arts teacher the previous year. “A doe,” he replied without hesitation. Moody finally gave in and as if on cue, Kat bounded up the stairs to her brother.

“Harry!” she squealed as she tackled him in a tight hug which he gladly reciprocated. The two stood that way, afraid to let each other go after spending a while apart. They were so close and any long time apart was hard on them. “I’m so sorry Harry. I wanted to stay, I really did, but I had to go and I missed you so much and I’m sorry. I’m really, really sorry,” she rambled into his shoulder. “It’s alright Kat,” he murmured as he kissed her hair and pulled away from her embrace. Her vibrant emerald eyes were filled with mixed emotions of happiness, relief, regret, and what seemed to be the slightest trace of sadness. They stared at one another for a moment to fully absorb the fact that they were once again in each other’s presence.

“Pack your trunk Harry and get your broom. We’re getting you out of here,” she said suddenly, her voice taking on an authoritative tone that sounded frighteningly close to Hermione when she went into bossy mode. He gave her a questioning look as he turned and began to walk back to their small room with her close behind.

As soon as the door shut behind them, Harry began to bombard his sister with questions as he hauled out his trunk and began to pack his things. “Where were you? I’m not mad or anything, but, what are you doing with Lupin and Moody? Who are the other people who are here? Why are you all here?” The somewhat regretful look returned to her features, biting her lip (a nervous habit that she had developed as a young child), “I’m sorry Harry, but I can’t tell you now, not here,” she said quietly as she began to help her somewhat flustered twin pack, “But, what I can tell you is that they’re our escorts, they’re supposed to protect us if something happens and if anything goes wrong.” Harry nodded in response to show that he understood.

There was a brief silence between the two until Harry decided to break it to ask, “What about our lovely relatives?” His voice was oozing with sarcasm. “You can’t seriously believe that they actually won some gardening award did you?” she scoffed, causing Harry to look at her inquisitively, “We set it up, it’s not real. We had to get them out of the house somehow and I don’t think that Uncle Vernon would take too kindly to a bunch of witches and wizards barging into their home in the middle of the night.” Harry chuckled at his sister’s bluntness as he continued to pack. He had missed her and was glad to have her back with him again. Another comfortable silence settled over them until it was broken by loud noises coming from downstairs, earning a small, irritated groan from Kat. “You finish packing, I have to make sure they don’t break anything, you know Aunt Petunia, one small scratch or item out of place and she’ll know something was up.” Harry chuckled in acknowledgement of his aunt’s obsessively clean and organized tendencies. “I’ll meet you downstairs, yeah?” she asked as she made her way towards the door. “Yeah,” he replied watching her as she gave him a quick smile and left the room.

He resumed placing his belongings into his trunk and making sure that Hedwig was properly secured in her cage. “Tonks, no! Don’t touch the toaster! My aunt hates when her things are out of place!” He laughed as he heard his sister lecture their “escorts.” After he was sure that he had packed everything he needed he lugged his broom, his trunk, and Hedwig’s cage down the stairs. When he entered the living room, Kat introduced him to the others who were part of their traveling party, Nymphadora Tonks (just Tonks as she made it very clear), Kingsley Shacklebolt, and Hestia Jones. After introductions and such were made, Harry’s things were sent to the location, which was still unknown to Harry, and the group made their way out of the Dursley House with their broomsticks in hand.

Once outside the group fell into formation and mounted their brooms, ready to fly. “Whatever you do, don’t break ranks…” Moody rambled on gruffly about the dangers, safety precautions, and touched on how they would proceed to their destination. Kat just rolled her eyes and gripped her broom poised and ready to take off as did Harry, both eager to fly. Finally, they kicked off and began their journey into the night. Harry felt all negative feelings just fade away as they soared, feeling happy for the first time in weeks, treasuring the wind whipping his face and the familiar feeling of freedom that he loved spreading through his body. Kat kept up easily on her Firebolt, which she had also received from Sirius in their third year. She was glad to see her brother looking so happy for the first time in a while. She had been cooped up at headquarters and was, like her brother, savouring the feeling of flying. The twins wore matching expressions of joy and peace as they darted off to their destination, maintaining their formation.

They finally landed in another muggle suburb just outside of London. Harry shot his sister a questioning look as they dismounted and walked towards the middle of two of the houses across the street, which she returned with a small smile and gestured with her eyes to the houses in front of them. As they got closer, the houses began to diverge and a new house began to appear in the steadily growing gap between the others. “Welcome to Number 12 Grimmauld Place Harry,” she whispered as Moody gave the code knock.

The party entered as the door opened, Tonks almost knocking over a troll foot umbrella stand. Upon entering, Harry took in the dark, ancient interior of the house as they proceeded down the dimly lit hallway until he was enveloped into a very tight hug from Mrs. Weasley, who immediately began fussing over him. She was making the usual comments of how glad she was to see him and how thin he still was and the like while Kat snickered off to the side. When Mrs. Weasley finally released him she directed him to his room, telling him that the others were already here. Harry thanked her before she walked away to the kitchen at the end of the hall followed by the escorts. He saw Sirius through the doorway, receiving a nod and small smile, which he returned before he began to make his way up the decrepit looking staircase. He got about five steps up when he noticed that his sister was not behind him and instead making her way towards the kitchen. “Kat, are you coming?” he asked. “I’ll catch up with you later Harry, go say hi to everyone and make yourself at home, alright?” she replied, giving him a weak half-smile before closing the kitchen door behind her.

**********


The Order meeting progressed at a painfully slow rate as each problem was analyzed and over analyzed before they proceeded to the next issue or bit of news. Kat had been inducted after the incident with the dementors in Little Whinging, making her the youngest member. She didn’t quite know why she had been sworn into the Order of the Phoenix, they never made it clear and it bothered her. She drifted from her thoughts coming back to the present conversation, rather the present argument. Sirius and Snape were going at it, their deep-set hatred in each other fuelling them as they went back and forth in a rather animated fight. The major topic of the evening was whether or not her twin brother should be inducted into the Order, spawning endless disagreement between the older members.

Mrs. Weasley was completely opposed to it and if she had her way to begin with, Kat would never have become a member in the first place. “Enough!” Everyone’s gaze snapped in the direction of the 15-year-old girl who was now rubbing her temples, “I don’t mean any disrespect, but you are honestly like a pair of children squabbling over a broken toy and quite frankly, it’s giving me a headache.” Snape glared at her while Sirius and several others at the table (namely McGonagall, Dumbledore, and Lupin) cracked small, amused smiles at her boldness. “If I may speak,” she paused to receive a nod from her headmaster, “It is in my honest opinion that my brother, Harry, should be inducted into the Order. We’re the same age, we’re equally good at defending ourselves and he’s proven this time and time again with everything that he has been through and he’s handled it as well as I think most of you could. It’s not a matter of fairness, so to speak, but I do believe that he of all people has earned his place in this organization.”

They sat in silence, none quite sure of what to say. They all knew of why she had been inducted and although they knew that she was right in what she said, they all knew that she was not fully aware of the gravity of her situation. She would learn the reason of her early initiation eventually, when the right time presented itself. But now, however, was not the right time and she would be kept in the dark until then. Excusing herself from the meeting she quickly made her way from the kitchen, the door closing loudly behind her. Little did Kat know that her brother had heard every word and he was reminded about how much he loved his sister.