Status: Updates will be very slow, but I'll try to get them out as quickly as I can.

The Chronicles of the Forgotten Potter

Chapter 12

Image


Several days had passed since the quidditch match and news that a girl had dumped the Slytherin Prince for the first time ever had spread like wildfire. Needless to say, Malfoy was not pleased. His ego had been damaged and the old animosity between he and the Potter twins came back as strong as ever. It pained him to have lost Kat because of a stupid mistake, but he, to help repair his wounded ego, passed it off as nothing. He pretended that she was just another conquest, proceeding to have his way with several other random girls to emphasize his point. Kat was absolutely furious with him. He had insulted the Weasleys, who were of course like family, and he had insulted both her brother and her parents. He had gone too far and she had had it.

She was lucky to have been spared from Umbridge’s immediate wrath unlike her unfortunate brother and the Weasley twins who had been banned from playing quidditch at Hogwarts for their “abhorred” behaviour while her ex was babied and received no form of punishment whatsoever.

Tensions between Gryffindor and Slytherin were at an all time high, simply fueled and rallied by the wronged parties. Kat threw herself into her studies and restrained herself from any relations with boys. Harry, although more than happy that she had dumped Malfoy especially after the match, was being supportive of his sister in her rather delicate situation/state. Ron and Hermione were of course there for her too, perhaps Hermione a little more so than Ron seeing as the two girls were closer to each other anyway.

Kat and Neville had begun to hang out an awful lot more often too. Their constantly solid friendship growing even stronger as the weeks progressed. He had been there to console her throughout her rocky relationship with Malfoy, as he had been for her previous relationships, and was there for her after they had split. He had always been her constant, the one thing that never changed since their first meeting in St. Mungo’s. She didn’t know what she would do without him.

Neville was happy to be there for her, he always was. He hated seeing her in such an unhappy state. He cared for her deeply, he always had, but in the last few years, he had begun to care for her in a completely different way. He was frightened by these new feelings at first, but the fear soon dissipated as they got older. She got prettier with age and his small crush that he had begun to harbour in his third year had grown past just attraction into something more. He was just too afraid to do something about it, for fear of ruining their friendship.

***********


“Miss Potter, please read the introduction to Chapter 12,” asked Professor Umbridge in her characteristic sickly sweet voice. Since the incident at the quidditch match, she had relentlessly sought every possible opportunity to make Kat’s life miserable, despite the fact that she had done nothing wrong. The girl had managed to narrowly escape being banned from quidditch but that did not mean that she could escape punishment for the wrong that she committed in the demented toad-woman’s eyes. Her crime, being who she was and for whom her brother was. The young, raven-haired witch sat with her textbook closed in front of her, a defiant expression lightly etched on her fair features and a dangerous glint flickered across her agitated gaze as she responded. “I’ve already read it Professor.”

A mildly disturbing fake smile formed on the ministry official’s mouth, “Oh, I highly doubt that,” Umbridge replied, the stupid confident grin never leaving her lips, “Please summarize the introduction. “ She was sure that she had gotten the girl, thinking that she was lying through her teeth. “Chapter 12: On disarming spells,” Kat began, her voice calm and even, “Disarming spells are the easiest way to get out of a fight or prevent other potential attacks from happening. It is meant to disarm the opponent and avoid harm. It is a clean way to evade attack and to gain the upper hand in battle/a fight. The most commonly known and used disarming spell is expelliarmus…” As Kat continued to rattle off a fairly perfect summary of the chapter, her voice began to gain more confidence, earning smiles from her classmates. Even Malfoy gave a small, amused smirk before it quickly disappeared from his lips.

“In all honesty professor, I think it’s a load of rubbish,” she added once she finished. The smile on Umbridge’s face faltered, “How can it be rubbish Miss Potter, when it teaches you a safe way to defend yourself and avoids actually putting you at risk.” Kat scoffed, “How can we even learn anything, if we’re just reading about defending ourselves? Don’t we need to practice these spells so we can actually learn how to use and execute them properly?” Kat replied, her temper beginning to flair. At this point, the entire class had abandoned their readings and focused their attention upon them; all dead silent as they watched the two go at it.

“This is a Ministry approved class!” the toad exclaimed shrilly. “I don’t bloody care who approved it! We’re not going to be able to protect and defend ourselves in the real world with this twaddle ‘professor’!” Kat fired back, raising her voice, uttering the last word with distaste. Any courtesy that had been in her voice to begin with (which was very little, if any at all) had disappeared completely. “What on earth would you have to defend yourself from? We are safe!” Umbridge fumed, her voice rising in pitch and in volume. “Safe? Safe?!” Kat shouted incredulously, “Voldemort’s back, gaining power and followers, and you really think we’re safe!?”

“He. Is. Not. Back!” Umbridge spat through gritted teeth. “Yes, he is! I was there last year, I saw him in the bloody graveyard. I saw him kill Cedric Diggory and fight my brother. He used the bloody cruciatus curse on me! Do you know what that feels like ‘Professor?’ Do you? I don’t think you do! I’ll tell you how it feels. It feels like your insides are being pulled apart and shredded up with excruciating pain everywhere. So don’t you dare tell me he’s not back!” Kat seethed, breathing heavily as her outburst came to an end.

The class was in shock. Kat had never acted so disrespectfully towards a teacher before, nor had she ever spoken about that night in the graveyard, the night Cedric Diggory died. No one moved or spoke, all eyes focused on Kat who had risen from her seat during her outburst. Umbridge was taken aback, blinking stupidly before somewhat composing herself, “Detention, Miss Potter!” Her voice was still shrill in her obvious discomfort and irritation. “This book and the Ministry’s need to interfere in the teaching methods of this school are complete and utter garbage Professor,” Kat fumed, just managing to keep her temper under control, nothing was shaking or threatening to fly across the room or break. “Detention Potter! To the Headmaster’s office at once!” the flustered toad-woman shouted, her voice reaching a whole new octave. “That’ fine with me,” Kat replied coldly, harshly slinging her school bag over her shoulder and grabbing her books from her desk, “This joke of a class is a waste of time anyway.” With that, she stormed out of the classroom, the door slamming shut behind her, leaving her classmates, friends, and her brother in awe.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry, sorry, sorry that it's been so long!!!! I'm back at college and I've got a crap load of work and it's been pretty hectic, but here's a new one! Chapters 1-5 have been revised, 6 is on the way and 7 will be next. I'll try to get these out as quickly as possible. Thank you so much for bearing with me!