Status: Updates will be very slow, but I'll try to get them out as quickly as I can.

The Chronicles of the Forgotten Potter

Chapter 16

Image


The chatter died down as the members of Dumbledore’s Army noticed Kat come forward turning to face all of them. “Alright,” she started, “Tonight, you are going to learn the jinx, incarcerus. This jinx will come in handy for immobilizing the enemy in the instance that you are losing the upper hand in a duel or for ambushing them. The spell itself unleashes a set of ropes that instantly wrap themselves around your opponent, binding them until either they or a partner can deliver the counter curse.” The group of students ranging from all different houses seemed to be hanging on her every word, “Now, the wand movement is quite simple really, Harry, if you don’t mind?” she asked her brother, who gladly moved into dueling position across from her. “Say Harry is my opponent,” the two had their wands out, at the ready, assuming their fighting stances, “I point my wand at him and I will just barely move my hand forward like so. Incarcerus.”

Harry collapsed to the ground unable to maintain balance when the cords hit him, successfully binding his arms and legs to his body. “Now, notice how when I turn my wand hand palm up and the more energy and focus that I put in, the tighter the ropes’ grip becomes,” she said calmly, only tightening it enough for a visual aid and enough not to hurt her brother. He only let out a small grunt of discomfort. The DA members burst out into low chatter as Kat undid the jinx from her brother and helped him to his feet with a grin, which he returned with a look of mock irritation. After quickly teaching them the counter spell they all paired off and began practicing as Harry and Kat watched to make sure nothing went wrong and to jump in if it appeared someone needed help. The two had worked out a fairly efficient and rather successful teaching method and the members of Dumbledore’s Army were learning quickly and hungry for more.

The twins were happy to see sweeping success with the exception of the few corrections and words of advice for some of their “students.” They eventually moved onto practicing spells on the dummy, each group member using one of the spells that they had learned and after that, moved onto pairing off once more and practicing spells upon each other. Dumbledore’s Army was improving and Harry and Kat couldn’t have been happier to see their progress. Even Neville was finally succeeding at casting good defensive spells. Before they knew it, the meeting was over and after Harry thanked them all, congratulating them on their hard work and wishing them a happy holiday, the group left in controlled numbers. They had to be exceedingly careful nowadays to avoid Umbridge, the Hogwarts High Inquisitor and her brutally effective Inquisitorial Squad which was entirely made up of Slytherins, namely Malfoy, Crabbe, Goyle, Blaise Zabini, and Pansy Parkinson to name a few. Umbridge’s Educational Decrees lined the walls and were now specifically targeting the DA, which was only just a rumour but still a threat in her eyes.

It would take a while for the group to clear out so Harry and Kat would usually stay until the rest had cleared out. Hermione and Ron would leave before, so as not to draw suspicion. Neville used to wait for Kat not too far away from the Room of Requirement but under the current circumstances no extraneous risks could be taken, so he had now taken to waiting with the Potter twins. Today, Cho decided to stick around as well, clearly wanting a moment alone with Harry but covered it up by staring at a picture of Cedric that Harry and Kat had posted as a memorial. Kat, although not happy about it, obliged excusing herself and Neville and the two left Harry and Cho in the room alone.

As they made their way out and were a safe distance away from the door that instantly disappeared once they had closed it behind them, Kat and Neville’s hands clasped and the two walked in silence. She had told him about her little run in with Malfoy and they decided now that he knew, there was really no sense in keeping their relationship hidden, the whole school would know anyway. It was also, however, less suspicious now that they were together alone and walking back to Gryffindor Tower from the 7th floor corridors, especially now that they were a couple.

Kat had a meeting later that evening with Snape concerning her special lessons. Only Harry, Ron, Hermione, and her boyfriend knew of these weekly “N.E.W.T.s practice” sessions. Her homework was finished for the most part and she figured she’d have a little alone time with Neville. Once they entered the common room they moved quickly to a small, somewhat secluded corner with her nuzzled up to his side, her head nestled on his shoulder as his leaned against hers. His arm was draped around her while his other one stroked the hand that it held. They would whisper to each other once in a while, for the most part enjoying the comfortable silence between them.

Ron and Hermione were occupying the usual chairs by the fire, Ron struggling to put out the effort to do his homework while Hermione seemed to be cranking it out at only the speed and effort that was expected of her. Every once and a while she would steal a glance at Kat and Neville and smile before returning her focus to her work. Harry came in about 20 minutes later joining his friends by the fireplace with a somewhat dazed yet goofy smile on his face. Kat knew that he had kissed Cho just by the way he walked into the common room. There was a little bounce in his step that could only come from kissing someone that you fancy.

Her session with Snape was drawing near and she reluctantly withdrew from her boyfriend’s arms telling him that she had to go. He stood with her, offering to walk her down at least part of the way. She declined his offer, saying it was best not to let on that he knew of her lessons, the last thing she wanted was for him to get into trouble for knowing too much. He hesitantly agreed giving her a soft, sweet kiss on the lips and drawing her into a hug. She kissed him once more as they separated from the hug, saying goodbye to him and walked over to say goodbye to Hermione, Ron, and Harry (not to mention poking fun at her brother for his recent moment with Cho and at Ron for his, as Hermione put it, “emotional range of a teaspoon”) who said they’d see her later in response. With that, she headed out of the portrait hole and down to the dungeons.

*********


“Good, Miss Potter,” Snape complimented her in his dry, monotone voice, “Again.” Kat sighed; she was tired, shaky and sweaty from the concentration and exertion that the lesson had cost. “Sir?” she asked warily. “What?” he replied testily although he couldn’t find it in himself to be angry with the girl who so closely resembled Lily Evans (he could never bring himself to call her by her husband’s name). “I’ve- I’ve recently experienced something rather odd, something I can’t quite explain,” she started, thankful that he was interested and letting her rest for just a little while longer. “And what exactly would that be Miss Potter?” he looked rather bored and unenthused as he usually did. “It’s really quite peculiar sir, I was talking to my friend and when she touched my hand I felt a tug on my mind. And the thing is sir, so did she. It has never happened me before until last night.”

“It happened again this morning. Harry touched my hand and, it was stronger this time sir. But this time was different, I… I saw things, almost like pictures, flashes of his life. I, I just want to know what’s happening to me sir.” she finished, a naïve look and feeling of fear played upon her pretty features. Snape looked at the girl in front of him, her green eyes reflecting the innocent, almost childlike fright. He understood at that instant why Dumbledore was so adamant about her potential and the need for her to be inducted into the Order at such a young age. “Most intriguing Miss Potter. You say this has never happened before last night?” he said after a long pause. “Yes, sir,” she replied. “I will talk to the headmaster, until that time,” he drawled, quickly changing the subject back to their previous activity, “we shall resume your lesson. Legilimens!”