Status: Updates will be very slow, but I'll try to get them out as quickly as I can.

The Chronicles of the Forgotten Potter

Chapter 17

Image


Kat woke up that night with a start, her last dream being the most graphic she had seen in a long while. She was drenched in sweat and breathing heavily as she sat up in her bed to find the worried face of her best friend beside her. “Kat, what’s wrong? Are you alright?” Kat shook her head, unable to formulate words, clearly shaken by the night terror that she had just experienced “Mr. Weasley,” she panted before dashing out of bed, “I need to find Harry.” Hermione followed after her friend, slipping on a robe as she jogged to catch up, completely and utterly confused. Kat flew up the stairs to the boys’ dormitories and rushed into her brother’s room. The boys were for the most part, crowded around Harry’s bed. Harry was covered in sweat and breathing heavily, looking deathly pale as he sat there gasping. She was at his side in an instant and in that moment, she knew that they had shared the same dream but this time, Harry had the more vivid version.

As she grabbed his hand to help and try to sooth him, Professor McGonagall flew into the room in her dressing gown, her hair down and clearly flustered. One look at the Potter twins and she knew something was terribly wrong. Everything seemed a blur from then until they arrived in Dumbledore’s office. All Kat remembered was McGonagall and Ron supporting Harry ahead of Hermione who was supporting Kat as they raced down the many corridors to the griffin statue. Once in the office Harry was told to share the dream he had just experienced. He looked so vulnerable, so helpless, so lost and Kat, who was quite shaken herself, wanted nothing more than to bear the burden for her brother so he wouldn’t have to suffer through the torture that was the Dark Lord’s mind.

All were quite shocked when he said that he saw it from the snake’s perspective and Dumbledore, looked for the first time, somewhat flustered. At that time Snape had chosen to arrive. His exchange with the headmaster was cryptic at the most and resulted in Harry getting dragged from the room by the potions master. Dumbledore said that he would be sending the Weasleys, the Potters, and Hermione by portkey in the morning; their Christmas holiday would be starting a wee bit sooner than usual so they could see Mr. Weasley in the hospital and be there for his recovery. All of them were sent back to their dormitories to try and rest and to eventually pack when the morning came. Kat, who had not said a thing since she had run to find Harry, looked to be a mild form of shock. McGonagall conjured up a blanket, placing it around her shoulders and rubbing the poor girl’s shoulders gently to try and sooth her.

From the time she and Harry had been separated as babies until the time that they had been reunited in their first year at Hogwarts, Katherine Potter had grown up within the walls of the school, hidden from the world. Professor McGonagall had been almost a motherly figure to her, perhaps more of a grandmother-like figure, teaching her things, cultivating her seemingly endless thirst for knowledge, and often tending to the poor girl after particularly nasty and terrifying nightmares. Kat was eternally grateful for everything that the elderly witch had done for her over the years, thanking her as they walked down the corridor back to Gryffindor tower.

“It will be alright Katherine,” she assured her as they made their way down the hall, “Don’t you forget, Mr. Weasley is still alive tonight because of you and your brother.” Kat looked at her head of house, her eyes tired and dull, almost the eyes of someone who had seen much in her young life, more than anyone her age should have seen at her age. “I know,” she murmured, “It’s just… I- I can’t take it anymore. These dreams or visions, whatever they are, are driving me mad. He’s in my head professor and I can’t get him out,” she said, beginning to weep silently. The older witch stopped walking and turned to face the young girl, her usually confident and kind yet mature demeanor that seemed beyond her fifteen years was replaced with a look of frailty and fear, exhaustion clear in her stance by the way her shoulders seemed to hunch forward and the slight drop of her head.

“Have you not been doing what Professor Snape had taught you?” she asked her. “Yes, I’ve tried. I don’t have the energy to do it. I need sleep, something the Dark Lord’s not been allowing me to get enough of,” Kat muttered bitterly. “Does he know of your link to his mind?” McGonagall asked, fearing the worst. “No,” Kat replied, noticing her transfiguration teacher let out a small breath of relief, “Not that I know of. He’s only once contacted me through my dreams. Nothing’s been that vivid since…” As soon as the words left her mouth Kat regretted it noting the stern look that rapidly appeared on McGonagall’s face. “Miss Potter, he contacted you through your subconscious and you didn’t tell anyone?” she asked incredulously, her voice disapprovingly as she looked over her glasses at Katherine who now had a look of guilt washing over her tired features. “I’m sorry professor. I just didn’t want to say anything, especially with everything that’s been going on recently and now with Harry’s dream tonight… “ Kat apologised, with the utmost sincerity in her voice.

“We will talk about this with Professor Dumbledore tomorrow,” McGonagall said sternly, eyeing Kat warily with evident concern. Kat nodded in response, mentally cursing herself for letting slip about her particularly violent dream from the beginning of the year. “Now, off to bed with you before you pass out in the hallway, remember to pack when you wake up and report to the headmaster’s office as soon as you finish,” she added, her tone taking on a softer edge as she sent the poor girl off for some much deserved sleep. When she was out of sight, McGonagall swiftly made her way back to Dumbledore’s office to tell him about the little conversation and the dream that Kat had kept hidden from the head of the Order.

*********

Kat, although exhausted, began to pack upon entering her room, unable to go to sleep. Hermione seemed not to feel to sleepy either and had already begun to pack for Grimmauld Place. The two said nothing as they placed their things into their trunks, Kat using her telekinesis to fold her things as she went along, hoping that the use of her mind would tire her out enough to help her get to sleep. They finished around the same time, both sitting on their beds in silence. “Hermione,” Kat called. “Yeah,” came the reply. “If I’m not here when you get up tomorrow I’m probably going to be in Dumbledore’s office, they know about the dream I had in September.” Hermione snapped her gaze to meet her friend’s, sitting bolt upright in the process, “What happened?” she asked, not bothering to utter an I-told-you-so.

“McGonagall was walking me back and we got to talking about Voldemort being in my mind and, well, it kind of just… slipped out. It was like word vomit or something, I dunno. Once it started I couldn’t stop,” Kat frowned, clearly annoyed with herself. Hermione frowned while she expressed her sympathy. Both girls knew that something was up. Voldemort wanted something desperately from the Ministry of Magic and now members of the Order guarding whatever it was were at risk and Mr. Weasley was the first to have been openly and violently attacked. Dumbledore was worried, all of the members were and yet they still told Kat nothing. The girls sighed and reluctantly went to bed, Kat hoping for a peaceful, dreamless sleep.

*********

“Interesting,” said Dumbledore as he paced away from his desk, a pondering look upon his ancient features as he processed Kat’s dream. The girl sat in the chair in facing his desk, watching his actions intently trying (rather futilely) to figure anything out from his mostly unreadable expression. “It seems Katherine, that both you and your brother have a connection with the Dark Lord’s mind, which is intensified through the rather strong bond that you and Harry share. Now, whether or not he is aware of this connection I cannot tell, but you must be wary of the things that you see, for if he is indeed aware, which is currently rather doubtful, he will send false visions and cause more horrible dreams that are meant to torture you as Professor Snape has already told you. Be careful Katherine and focus on the things at hand, I know that you are more than ready to use occlumancy to defend yourself when the time comes.” Kat looked inquisitively at her headmaster, choosing to nod and utter a somewhat confident sounding “Yes sir” in response, unsure of how to properly reply to the information he had just thrown at her. “Now,” began the great wizard, “I do believe the others will be arriving after breakfast and the portkey is ready for use when they arrive. Your things have already been sent to Grimmauld Place. Go get some breakfast before you head out,“ he said, his voice adapting his usual calm tone. “Traveling by portkey on an empty stomach usually isn’t the best of ideas,” he added, his blue eyes twinkling over his half-moon spectacles.

*********

Kat found Harry, Hermione, and the Weasleys sitting together at the Gryffindor table. The lot of them were eating in relative silence (which to anyone observing them who was not aware of the current situation would have thought to be odd and uncharacteristic) with the occasional question of passing some food or drink. Even the twins maintained solemn expressions, the reality of the dangers of the world outside Hogwarts only beginning to reveal itself to them. Kat sat next to her brother quietly greeting them as she took her place, earning a soft murmur of greeting in response. None of them had much of an appetite, all of them picking at the food that lay on the plates in front of them. Even Ron was barely touching his food.

After gaining a consensus of whether everyone was finished, the group decided to make their way to Dumbledore’s office. As they stood, Kat caught the eye of Neville, who had noticed the behaviour of the group and decided it wise to let them alone. He rose from his seat quickly and met up with her outside the Great Hall. “I’m so sorry I have to go like this Neville,” she murmured as he drew her into his arms. He kissed the top of her head before nuzzling his nose into her hair. He inhaled deeply, taking in her sweet smell, “Don’t apologise. I’ll see you after break ends, yeah?” She nodded as she pulled away slightly to get a good glimpse of the warm brown eyes and handsome face that she had begun to fall so hard for. He slowly and tenderly met her lips in a soft, yet passionate kiss. For someone who was so inexperienced, he seemed to have a natural talent for making her knees go weak. Only he and, dare she say it, Malfoy had that ability to make her feel so dependent on their touch, but only Neville looked at her with a seemingly ever present look of affection.

When they pulled apart she bid him goodbye and walked off to find her friends and her brother. They had all been moving at a sluggish pace, despite their evident concern for their father, due to their reluctance to see him in such a bloodied state was completely understandable. She quickly fell into line next to her brother as they trudged down the long winding corridors to get to the headmaster’s office.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's been so long. I've been crazy busy, but I'm trying to crank out more for you guys!