Status: Updates will be very slow, but I'll try to get them out as quickly as I can.

The Chronicles of the Forgotten Potter

Chapter 2: A Nightmare and a Trial

Image

“Cedric!” Kat watched in horror as the light left his eyes in a flash of green light. Everything went black. A door flashed into focus the fades quickly. A face appears, a dreaded and familiar face, came into view. Voldemort.

Kat woke with a start, breathing heavily and drenched with sweat. Her shoulder length, jet-black hair stuck to her pale skin and her green eyes darted around the room fearfully until they made contact with the two figures of Ginny and Hermione staring warily at her with evident looks of concern. “Are you alright Kat?” Ginny asked. “I’m fine, why?” she replied managing to slow her breathing down to a slightly staggered tempo. “You were thrashing around and calling out in your sleep again,” Hermione said worriedly. “I’m fine, really. Just a nightmare is all,” Kat replied with a weak smile. Despite the fact that her dreams were getting increasingly worse over the course of the summer, she continuously pushed them aside and told the girls to go back to sleep, once more reassuring them that she was fine and apologizing for waking them up. Her friends looked unconvinced, but agreed, reluctantly going back to sleep, while Kat feared to succumb to the drowsy need that came over her, fighting the clutches of sleep until she could stand against it no longer and fell into a thankfully dreamless slumber.

**********


“Morning, love,” George Weasley greeted Kat, giving her a quick peck on the cheek when he came down to breakfast the next morning. “Morning George,” she replied as he grabbed the seat next to her. They had been together on and off since her third year and their relationship was currently far from pleasant with their constant arguments, their previously close friendship, tarnished by their somewhat incompatibility as a couple. They were trying desperately to make it work, perhaps him more so than her, but there was one thing for certain, their relationship was on the rocks and quickly slipping out from under them.

Kat’s toast was buttering itself as she helped herself to the other foods Mrs. Weasley had cooked up for breakfast. “You know, you’re really getting the hang of that,” Hermione stated as she observed Kat’s growing control of her telekinesis, “You’re not even having to look at it anymore. “Thanks Hermione,” she replied with a smile. Her friend was sitting next to a very tired looking Ron, who was loading his plate with food, as were the twins. Mrs. Weasley, now finished cooking, was desperately trying to comb Harry’s stubborn jet-black hair but with little to no success, his hair managing to fight back, earning winces from him with every tug of the comb. “Katherine, remember what Dumbledore said, no use of any of that outside of Headquarters. Do I have to remind you of the risks or of the danger you could put yourself in?” chided Mrs. Weasley in her motherly tone as she gave a rather painful tug with the comb. Kat, who had been intently watching the raging battle between her brother’s unruly hair and her pseudo mother with a rather amused expression sighed in response, “I know Mrs. Weasley.”

No one was very talkative seeing as it was the morning of Harry’s trial, everyone at the dinner table shooting him sympathetic glances throughout breakfast. Katherine was going with Mr. Weasley and her brother for support and in the chance that she’d need to testify in his defense. Her thick, silky black hair was tied half up half down. She was a very pretty girl with a slim figure, fair skin, emerald green eyes with many features that closely resembled her mother’s as well as the characteristic ones that she shared with her brother.

*********


Later that morning, when they had arrived at the Ministry of Magic and the trial had begun, Kat sat in the seats opposite the Ministry officials of the Wizengamot. She scanned the group of wizards and witches, noticing a familiar red-haired man who glared at her over his horn-rimmed glasses, Percy Weasley himself. She wanted to laugh at the pompous air that he exuded. ‘Prat,’ she thought as she glared back, before he turned his attention to the Minister. She continued her scan of the room, spotting a few more witches and wizards that she recognized, including the ever-so-arrogant Lucius Malfoy and of course, Cornelius Fudge, the chief official of the Wizengamot and rather corrupt Minister of Magic. Then there was the toad-like woman who sat beside him. Dolores Umbridge, the Senior Undersecretary to Fudge, a vile woman whom she had the unfortunate chance of meeting. To say that she had made a bad first impression with the toad was an understatement. The woman hated her from the start of their first meeting and it proceeded to worsen until Dumbledore was ready to leave Fudge’s office that day.

She just hoped that her bad status with this woman wouldn’t affect Harry’s trial. Then again, she hated kids, so who knew what she would do anyway. Kat was lost in her thoughts until Dumbledore’s voice brought her from her trance. The trial was now in session and it progressed slowly, Harry’s testimony, Dumbledore defending her brother, accusations and praise from the Wizengamot, and Mrs. Figg’s testimony. She had been listening intently to the proceedings but nearly jumped out of her seat when she heard her name being called.

She approached the chair that Dumbledore had conjured up for Mrs. Figg. “State your full name,” came the ever-so-irritating voice of Fudge. “Katherine Lily Potter,” she replied, her voice strong and clear, managing to hide the traces of annoyance that struggled to seep into her tone. “Where were you on the date in question?” he droned on, seeming rather bored with the trial. “With my brother,” she replied. “Please give us your account of the evening, Ms. Potter.” Kat proceeded to give them a matching account of her brother’s story, “…It got really cold and I heard faint screaming, then two dementors came into the tunnel out of nowhere and attacked. One had Harry and the other had my cousin-“ she was cut off by a girly cough that made her mentally cringe.

She turned her gaze to Umbridge. “Excuse me dear, but why did you not use your wand, as your brother had to defend yourself? It seems to me that if you were under attack, wouldn’t you also have cast a spell, when your brother could not?” Her voice was sickly sweet and high-pitched, which reminded Kat of nails on a chalkboard. “I had forgotten it at my aunt and uncle’s house. I reached for my wand, which is usually in my pocket and it wasn’t there. Believe me, if I hadn’t left it in our room I would be here now instead of Harry.” Umbridge looked a bit put off by her response, but kept her mouth shut, finding no retort. “I still find it hard to believe that children of your age can even perform a fully fledged patronus charm, especially by the young age that you two apparently managed to conjure one at the age you claim to have first produced one,“ stated Fudge in his rather undeserved pompous tone.

“Well actually, we can,” Kat’s voice rang out, not even bothering to hide the irritation in her voice. “Well… prove it,” he fired back in an almost childish tone. The girl rose from her seat, withdrawing her wand from her pocket. She paused a moment, thinking of a happy thought, the first time that she met Harry being the first one that popped into her head “Expecto Patronum,” she whispered, causing a silver doe to emerge from the tip of her wand and proceeded to run around the room, eventually fading as she willed it. Most of the court stared at her dumbfounded. Fudge looked as if he had been slapped across the face, a look that pleased Kat greatly as she returned to her seat next to her brother, the twins sharing a small, smug glance before turning their attention back to the older wizards. She didn’t notice the cold eyes of Lucius Malfoy watching and assessing her carefully. ‘So,’ he thought, ‘she may be as powerful as the dark lord thought. I’ll have to tell him immediately.’