Status: Updates will be very slow, but I'll try to get them out as quickly as I can.

The Chronicles of the Forgotten Potter

Chapter 5

Image


Kat’s POV
The light left Cedric’s eyes with a flash of green light as mine and Harry’s screams cut through the night…

There was a door at the end of a hallway. It looked so familiar, Merlin, why did it look so familiar? It was just within my reach, my fingertips just grazing the doorknob, poised to open it before it all dissolved into black. There was nothing, only darkness and deafening silence. I felt cold in the black, empty expanse. Chills went down my spine as evil laughter filled the air…

Third Person POV

She whirled around in an attempt to find the source. The rules of defensive magic and dueling flying through her mind, never turn your back on an opponent, always be on guard, and be ready for anything were the few that stood out in the current situation.

“Hello Katherine,” came a cold voice from somewhere behind her in the dark void that surrounded her, the last voice that Kat, or anyone for that matter, wanted to hear. She spun around to find herself face to face with the Dark Lord himself. She was shocked to say the least, but quickly regained her composure, refusing to allow him to see weakness. “Tom,” she replied, managing a rather stony-faced expression. His scarlet eyes flashed dangerously as his face contorted in anger, “Never call me that! I will not be called by my filthy muggle father’s name!” Kat’s fiery temper was also flaring, “What? Is being a half-blood that terrible Tom? Hm? Is it that much of a disgrace?” she found she could not control her growing anger that was being fueled by the dark wizard increasing infuriation with the bold half-blooded young witch. “Enough!” he bellowed, his eyes seemingly on fire as he simmered, glaring furiously at the young girl, the sister of Harry Potter, the enemy he had created.

Kat fought the urge to say something, knowing that it was unwise and that the outcome would not turn out well. The dark wizard breathed heavily in an attempt to regain his composure as Kat stared daringly at him, her piercing green eyes trained upon his snakelike features, studying every small expression that crossed over his face or passed through his eyes.

“Now Katherine,” he said in a calmer yet icy tone, “I have a proposition for you.” She said nothing but her eyes gave off the slightest hint of puzzlement that did not go unnoticed. Voldemort was enjoying this slight shift off balance in her usually solid level of confidence. His plan was working well. He could feel the churning spark of curiosity that began to grow. “Aren’t you the least bit curious as to what I want to offer you?” he asked, his voice dripping with hidden venom that she could sense as it disguised itself with an attempt of innocent curiosity. Despite her relatively stony expression, he could still see a glint of interest in her piercing emerald eyes. His hopes to use this feeling against her seemed to be within his grasp.

“No, but it’s not as if I have a choice, is it? You’re just going to tell me anyway,” she smartly replied, instantly beginning to shut down his attempts to gain the upper hand in this confrontation, her confidence beginning to rebuild itself. He grinned evilly, harbouring a mixture of deep-seated hatred and admiration for the raven-haired girl who stood before him, “From what I hear, you are an exceptionally talented, bright, and clever young witch-“ She sighed before cutting him off sharply, “Get to the point.” His red eyes flashed in annoyance as he hissed, “Hold your tongue girl!”

After a moment of glaring at her he regained his cool composure and cut to the point, “Join me Katherine Potter. Join my ranks. Your power and skill, from what I hear, are quite impressive, especially for one at your age. The potential that I have been told about, that I can see flows within you is far superior to most of my best and most powerful followers. You could be great you know. I could teach you to control the raw power that you possess,” he noticed the doubtful yet intrigued look that swept over her features, “I know that you wish to know what you are truly capable of. I know that the questions of how powerful you really, truly can be and of what other powers that you could possibly possess are eating away at you. I can help answer them Katherine, I can help develop the gifts that were bestowed upon you if you will join me.”

Kat listened, her temper beginning to boil once more, however, his questions of her potential intrigued her. Yes, she was curious and Dumbledore wasn’t even bothering to help her along anymore, instead having Snape guide her as had been decided at headquarters before the start of the school year. “Do you honestly think that I’m that naïve?” she exclaimed incredulously, almost shouting as she lashed out at the dark wizard, “You killed my parents, my friend, and countless others whom I have know and many whom I have never met. Not to mention that you have, on several occasions, attempted to kill both my brother and myself. So no, I will not nor will I ever accept your proposal.” Her green eyes flashed in fury and disbelief too far gone to even regret her tone of voice when she saw the anger pass over his snakelike features. “I told you to hold your tongue!” She could hear the slight disappointment at her defiance in his voice as he withdrew his wand from his robes. She eyed it warily, managing to maintain a stony, angry expression as he pointed it at her, “Crucio!” Excruciating pain flooded her body, catching her off guard. Another rule of dueling crossed her mind, always be on guard and always anticipate your opponent’s next move. His bone-chilling, wicked laughter filled the air once more as she writhed before him attempting to hold back the screams of agony, “Consider my offer Katherine…”

Kat gasped, her eyes shooting open as she sat up in bed. She was drenched in sweat, shaking terribly and breathing heavily. The pain subsided instantly, but it felt so real. Her dreams had been getting worse, but none were like this. This dream was too real, almost as if she had physically been there. The pain was undeniably real, but that would mean… no, he couldn’t. Could he?

“Kat?” her head snapped to find Hermione’s worried face. It was just the two of them in their dorm room due to Kat’s “condition,” so no one else would be disturbed. Hermione looked at her friend with obvious concern etched onto her pretty face, “Kat, what’s wrong? What did you dream about?” The poor girl looked at her friend and broke down; her already trembling body began to shake violently. Hermione rushed to her side hugging her in an attempt to calm her. She had begun talking in her sleep, mostly mumbling as she usually did on bad nights, but tonight, the mumbling got progressively louder, into an audible half of a conversation, then, letting out groans and whimpers of pain, she began thrashing and writhing in her sleep, her face contorted into on of severe pain. Hermione had never seen it this bad.

Harry’s POV

I saw my sister break down over Cedric’s lifeless body. I turned to face his murderer and found myself in the hallway that haunted my dreams almost every night now. It looked so familiar. I approached the door. I was almost at the knob then it all went black. There was nothing but silence. Evil laughter filled the air, then a shout. It was quiet for a while, then, groans of pain, whimpering, my sister…

My eyes shot open as I sat up. Something was wrong with Kat. I knew it. I could feel it. I grabbed my broom as quietly as I could and opened the window kicking off into the crisp night air, making sure to close the window most of the way behind me. I flew to her window, hoping to see her peacefully asleep. Instead I found a tired looking Hermione trying to comfort my clearly terrified and somewhat hysterical sister. I gently knocked on the window, causing Hermione’s gaze to turn to my direction. Instead of the expected death glare, she gave me a relieved look, giving my twin a final hug and whispering what I could only guess to be a few more calming words to her before walking over to the window and letting me in. I dismounted once inside and walked quickly over to Kat, who had her head in her hands, shaking like a leaf.

I sat down beside her, pulling her into my arms, rubbing her back, murmuring comforting words as she had done so many times for me. I had never seen her in such a state before and to say it was unnerving to see my usually calm and collected sister reduced to a sobbing, quivering mess was an understatement. She began to calm down, her breath becoming even and less panicked. “Shh, it was only a dream Kat, I promise. It’s okay. I’m here now, I’ve got you,” I whispered as my hand had taken to soothingly stroke her hair. We stayed like that, both of us falling asleep on her bed. We dreamt of nothing, our minds clear and allowing us to sleep peacefully in each other’s company.