Status: Finished

Destiny Keeps Getting in the Way

Twenty-Two

An awkward silence came between me and Nathan as he drove me back home. It was snowing now. Back in California I had to go to Big Bear Mountain to be in the snow, here it comes most of the year.

“I was really going to tell you about Lucy.” Nathan broke the silence.

I looked over at him and smiled.

“It’s all right, Nathan.”

“I know it isn’t, Melinda. I can tell by your tone of voice.”

He knew me too well.

“What am I supposed to say?”

“What do you really feel about Lucy working for me?”

I sighed. “It doesn’t matter, Nathan. She’s getting married and I shouldn’t have any reason to be suspicious but I just don’t trust her. She’s so fake!”

“Have you tried to get to know her?” He raised an eyebrow and glanced at me before looking back at the road. “Because it seems she’s making an effort to get to know you.”

Shit. I was stuck.

“You said to tell you how I really felt and I did and now I’m getting accused of not putting my part.” I said and shook my head.

“She has Devlin and they seem to be really in love.”

Well I didn’t see it. Not once did Devlin held Lucy’s hand, sure she patted her hand sometimes but didn’t held her hand and squeezed it to show affection. Nathan and I always did that. There was something in Devlin’s eyes that I just didn’t trust.

And Lucy is being fake but Nathan doesn’t believe me.

“Yeah, whatever.” I said. I took out my phone and checked that it was five in the afternoon. We spent a lot of time in the restaurant. “Are you staying?” I asked.

“No, I have some paperwork to finish. I might just go to my place tonight since it’s closer.” He gave me a sad look.

I patted the hand that was on the drive stick. “It’s all right. I understand. I’m kind of tired myself. I might just chill.”

He stopped in front of my building and kissed me. With his kiss he made me forget why I was so upset.

“I love you.” He said as we pulled away.

I caressed his cheek. “I love you, too.”

I got out of the car and went inside. Once inside of my apartment I found myself really bored. I flipped through the channels and found nothing good on.

My phone rang. I saw the caller ID

Pete Watson

His name flashed on the screen. I smiled. I missed him. I answered.

“What’s up, Pete?”

“I have a day off and I was wondering if you were doing anything tonight?” He said.

“Nope. Nada. Nathan has some papers to do over at work and he’s crashing at his place.” By now I was hanging upside down on the couch.

“Well, I have a lovely surprise for you. Why don’t you open your door?” There was two light knocks. “Don’t peek in the hole!” He said.

We hung up and I got off the couch and walked to the door. I opened the door and I was tackled to the floor.

I looked up and saw Charles.

“CHUCK!!!” I exclaimed in happiness.

“MELLIE!” He yelled back.

“Oh, my Gosh! You weight a ton!” I said.

He gasps. “She called me fat, Pete.” I looked above and saw Peter with a smile on his face.

“Mad cause she tells you the cold truth?” Peter took Chuck off of me and helped me up.

“You are supposed to protect me from evil.” Chuck pointed at me as he said evil.

I gasped in fake hurt. “You think I’m evil?” I hid my face in Peter’s chest and pretended to sob.

“I know you’re faking, Mellie.” He said tapping his foot.

Damn. I looked at him and stuck my tongue out. He laughs.

“So this is your place, huh?” He looked around.

“Yup.” I smiled proudly.

“Where is the kitchen?” he asked looking around.

“To your left.” I pointed and he just went through the door to the kitchen.

Peter and I laughed. Chuck’s mind was always on his stomach. When we stopped I noticed he was still holding me. Rather tightly. It was as if we were a couple. I pulled out of it and smiled at him.

“Thanks for the surprise. I really needed this.”

He furrowed his eyebrows. “What’s up, pumpkin?” He lifted my chin and I glared. “Oh right, you don’t like it when I call you that.”

I chuckled. “And yet you continue to use it, meanie.” I pinched him and he jumped a little.

“Ow, that hurt.” He rubbed the spot I pinched him.

“You deserve it.”

“Yeah, yeah. Now really tell me what’s going on?”

I sighed and walked over to the living room. We sat on the couch facing each other.

“I don’t know. I just… you remember a guy named Devlin?”

He nods. “Yeah, what does he have to do with this?”

“Well, he and Lucy are engaged--”

“What?” Peter sounded shocked.

“Why are you surprised?” I asked.

“Why aren’t you? I mean I wouldn’t go back with the girl that cheated me with my best mate.”

My eyes widen in horror. I must’ve heard wrong. Because then that would mean that Nathan backstabbed his best friend for Lucy.

“Whoa, go back and rewind. What the fuck?” I cursed.

Peter seemed to regret what he said. “I thought you knew.” he said slowly.

I shook my head. “What do you mean, Pete?” I asked.

Before he could answer Charles came back with a bowl of popcorn.

“Do you have the DVDs?” Charles asked Peter.

“Shit, I forgot it in my car. Go get them.” He tossed him the keys and Charles easily caught them.

Once he was gone Peter turned to face me.

“When we were younger, Devlin and Lucy were together. Since they were like thirteen or something. When were seventeen Devlin found Lucy and Nathan sleeping together. Ever since Devlin and Nathan haven’t spoken.”

I was so angry at Nathan. Why didn’t he tell me any of this? Why did I have to hear it from someone else? He had a whole week and didn’t say anything.

“When did you find out about their engagement?” Peter asked.

“Monday and today I had to go cake tasting with Lucy.”

“That must’ve been something.” Peter muttered and I agreed.

“I just can’t believe Nathan did that!” I screeched.

“We were young. And he was a different person.” Peter defended him.

“Why haven’t you talked to Nathan?” I asked.

He sighed. “I really can’t be friends with a guy who’s with the girl of my dreams.” He placed a lock of my hair behind my ear.

Just then Charles walked in and saw it. He froze with wide eyes.

“What is going on?” He asked slowly.

I smiled and moved away from Peter. I didn’t notice we were so close.

“Nothing.” Peter said quickly.

Chuck placed himself between us.

“All right. Let’s watch Ace Ventura the first one. It’s the best.” Chuck said popping out the DVD from the box. I took it and placed it inside of the DVD. I took the control with me.

“I love Jim Carrey.” I smiled.

Chuck put his arm over my shoulder and I leaned on his shoulder. It was friendly. Chuck never had feeling towards me other than a friend. Or a sister.

When Jim Carrey started dancing in the tutu I started laughing so hard my stomach hurt. It was the best scene, especially when he’s trying to hide inside of the box.

After Ace Ventura we watched V For Vendetta. I am so in love with that movie. The message is just so incredible.

After that one I think I fell asleep.

[Peter’s Point of View]

“I think it’s time for us to leave.” I told Chuck as I watched Melinda sleep. She looked so peaceful. So cute.

“Yeah, I’ll clean up.” He said getting up.

“I’ll take her to the bed.”

Charles gave me a look. I rolled my eyes.

“I’m not going to rape her, Charles.” I snapped.

“I wouldn’t pass it by you.” He muttered and I glared at him.

I picked her up bridal style and she clutched to me. She smelled so good. It was like cinnamon and vanilla. Her bedroom door was open. I placed her on the bed and pulled the covers on. I removed the hair from her face.

I just couldn’t resist.

I placed my lips very gently over hers and pulled away.

She stirred a bit. “Nathan.” She mumbled and I clenched my hands.

I had to remain calm. The plan was going well. Nothing was going wrong.