Status: Finished

Destiny Keeps Getting in the Way

Twenty-Three

[Melinda’s Point of View]

On Sunday morning I woke up in my room. I was a little confused but then I think I remember Peter carrying me. I smiled a little.

I laid in my bed and looked at the ceiling. I went back to sleep for a little while. When I woke up I felt my bed shift.

Nathan laid next to me.

“Good, morning sleepy head.” He tapped my nose and I scrunched it.

“Not cool.” I said.

He chuckled. “What did you do last night?”

Suddenly I remembered what he did to Devlin. I sat up and he did the same. He looked confused.

“Why didn’t you tell me that you betrayed Devlin? You and Lucy?”

His eyes widen in fear. “Let me explain--”

“Why didn’t you just tell me, Nathan?” I asked. “Why did I have to hear it from Peter?”

He narrowed his eyes. “What exactly did he tell you? I bet he said lies about me.”

“He actually defended you.” I said. “Nathan, please just tell me why you kept it a secret? I was going to find out sooner or later. And I would’ve wished it would’ve been from you and not someone else.”

“I was going to tell you.” He said.

I got off the bed too angry at him. “Just like you were going to tell me that Lucy was going to be your secretary?” I snapped at him.

“Why were you with Peter?” He changed the subject. “You know I don’t like him being near you.”

I scoffed. “I can still be friends with Peter, Nathan. He’s a very close friend of mine and before you go thinking wrong, Charles was with us as we watched movies last night.”

“How do I know? Huh?” His blue eyes turned dark.

I couldn’t believe what he was implying. “You think I’m cheating on you with Peter?”

“I don’t trust him, Melinda. I trust you. I know you love me but I know Peter is manipulative.”

“Peter has been my friend for four years, Nathan.”

“And I’ve known him my whole life.” He shot back. He sighed and calmed down. So did I. “Look, I know him better than you.”

I rolled my eyes and shook my head.

“Did you apologize to Devlin?” I asked.

“The first day we saw them.” He said. “Look, there are something in my past that I’m not proud of. Losing Devlin’s friendship for Lucy is on top of my list.”

He took my hand and pulled me to him.

“I’m so sorry. But I hate seeing you disappointed in me and I knew this would disappoint you and I just had to gather the courage to do so.” He wrapped his arms around me.

I sighed. “You can tell me anything, Nathan. Sure I might get angry and upset but I would get over it.” I smiled at him.

“I don’t want to lose you. Now that’s there’s nothing standing between us, I don’t want to lose you.” He hugged me tighter. I hugged him back.

“Me either. Te amo.” I said I love you in Spanish.

“Te amo.” He said it back.

I giggled.

“I’m going to take a shower… wanna join?”

“Yes.” He said.

[Later]

“What do you want to do today?” He asked after a long shower, hint, hint.

“You don’t have anything to do in the office?” I asked.

He shook his head. “Nada.” He said.

I smiled.

“How about we--”

His phone went off. We pulled apart from the embrace and he answered.

“Hello?… uh-huh… no I told you to reschedule that… can’t you… okay, okay. I’ll be there in fifteen minutes.” He hung up.

That must’ve been Lucy.

“So much for secretary experience if she didn’t reschedule.” I muttered.

“It’s a simple mistake that happens a lot, love. I should be back before dinner. Are you going to be fine?” He asked.

“Yeah, just me and Ben and Jerry.” I said.

He kissed me long and deeply. I just hated not having him to myself. When he was gone I decided to do laundry. I picked up my dirty scrubs and other clothes. I washed them. I put on my I-Pod as I start to clean the apartment.

“When you see yourself in a crowded room Do your fingers itch, are you pistol-whipped? And will you step in line or release the glitch? And can you fall asleep with a panic switch? And when you see yourself in a crowded room Do your fingers itch, are you pistol-whipped? Will you step in line or release the glitch? Do you think she'll sleep with the panic…” I sang and danced around as I cleaned.

Then after it was over it switched to another.

“But I'm on the outside and I'm looking in I can see through you, see your true colors 'Cause inside you're ugly, you're ugly like me I can see through you, see to the real you.” I sang.

Halfway through the song I changed it to Muse recent release of ‘Uprising’ from their new album coming out soon called The Resistance.

The beat started and I moved. I imagined myself in a concert singing it. I took to the broom and used is a microphone.

I looked at my fake crowd.

“The paranoia is in bloom, the PR The transmissions will resume They'll try to push drugs Keep us all dumbed down and hope that We will never see the truth around (So come on!).” It had a catchy beat that just made me want to move all sensual and stuff.

“Another promise, another scene, another A package not to keep us trapped in greed With all the green belts wrapped around our minds And endless red tape to keep the truth confined (So come on!).They will not force us They will stop degrading us They will not control us We will be victorious. (So come on!)” I pumped my fist in the air for effect.

I heard a laugh and I yelped and looked to see Peter. I removed my ear buds.

“What the hell?” I said. My heart was racing.

He continued to laugh. I glared at him.

“It’s so not funny.” I said stomping my foot.

He stopped and looked at me. His green eyes full of life and happiness.

“I’m sorry pum--”

“Hey!” I said stopping him before he called me pumpkin.

“Right, right.” He raised his hand.

“How did you get in?” I asked with my hands on my hips.

“Well, I was knocking for about five minutes but I knew you were there because I heard you singing so I just opened the door and let myself in. You know it’s funny that you were singing Muse.” He said reaching behind his pocket and took out two tickets.

My mouth dropped. “No way.”

He nods. “They’re in town just for this one day before they go on tour in America.”

“You’re not kidding?” I asked walking closer to him.

“Hey, I know they’re your favorite band and I wouldn’t joke. It’s this Thursday but we have to leave early around three to get some good spot.” He said.

“I’ll get someone to cover for me.” I smiled. “I get out at five, so it’s only two hours.” I smiled. “Oh, my God, I can’t wait to tell Nathan.”

“Uh…” Peter said nervously.

“What?” I asked.

“Don’t you think it’s best if he didn’t know? If he knows you’re going with me he’s going to get all jealous and I don’t want you two to start a fight because of me.” He said.

Why didn’t Nathan trust him? Sure, he would flirt and stuff but he didn’t want to see me unhappy. I smiled at him and nodded.

“Thanks, Peter. You’re so awesome. You’ve been incredible to me.” I hugged him around the torso.

He hugged me back.

“You’re worth it. I know it.” I heard him say.