Status: Finished

Destiny Keeps Getting in the Way

Twenty-Five

[Nathan’s Point of View]

On Thursday night I had planned to take out Melinda for dinner but suddenly work just swamped me.

Lucy reminded me I had a proposal to finish.

So here I am in the office working on the proposal.

There’s two light knocks.

“Come in.” I said and Lucy walks in.

“Do you need anything else?” She asked.

I shook my head. “You can go home.”

“All right. Are you staying in all night?” Lucy asked.

I stopped typing and rubbed my eyes.

“I’m not sure. This needs to get done by tomorrow.” I yawned.

“How’s Melinda? I haven’t seen her since the dress fitting.” Lucy said.

Truth was I haven’t talked to her in two days. It’s weird not seeing and talking to her for so long but work has been overwhelming.

“She’s… fine. She’s good. We’re good.”

Lucy smiled. “Well all right. I’m gonna go now.”

A few seconds after Lucy left I decided to call Melinda.

Her answering machine from her house is what I got.

I tried her cell phone but it was turned off and it went straight to voice mail.

She always kept her phone on.

[Melinda’s Point of View]

“Oh baby don't you know I suffer? Oh baby can't you hear me moan? You caught me under false pretences How long before you let me go? Oooh...You set my soul alight
Oooh...You set my soul alight.” I sang along with Matt.

Peter and I were in the front.

“(oooh...You set my soul alight) Glaciers melting in the dead of night And the superstars sucked into the supermassive (oooh...You set my soul alight) Glaciers melting in the dead of night And the superstars sucked into the supermassive.”

I moved with the slow beat.

“I thought I was a fool for no-one Oh baby I'm a fool for you You're the queen of the superficial And how long before you tell the truth Oooh...You set my soul alight Oooh...You set my soul alight (oooh...You set my soul alight) Glaciers melting in the dead of night And the superstars sucked into the supermassive (oooh...You set my soul alight) Glaciers melting in the dead of night And the superstars sucked into the supermassive (sucked into the supermassive).”

“Supermassive black hole Supermassive black hole Supermassive black hole Supermassive black hole Glaciers melting in the dead of night And the superstars sucked into the supermassive Glaciers melting in the dead of night And the superstars sucked into the supermassive (oooh...You set my soul alight) Glaciers melting in the dead of night And the superstars sucked into the supermassive (oooh...You set my soul) Glaciers melting in the dead of night And the superstars sucked into the supermassive.”

“Supermassive black hole Supermassive black hole Supermassive black hole Supermassive black hole.”

They moved on to my other favorite songs.

“You having a good time?” Peter yelled in my ear.

“Hell yeah!” I yelled back.

I sang along to every song I knew. Peter seemed to know them too. I was happy. I was alive. After it was over I couldn’t believe it.

“I’ve got another surprise for you.” Peter said as we were going towards the backstage.

“No.” I said unable to believe it.

“Yes.” He said.

“But how?”

He takes out two plastics passes from his pocket.

“A friend of a friend.” Peter smirked.

I giggled. “Are we going to be able to meet the band?”

“It’s what these are for.” He flashed the backstage passes.

We got past security and there was commotion around everywhere. I smiled and Peter held my hand as he got me through people.

Finally we were outside Muse’s dressing room.

“I’m shaking.” I laughed as I tried to calm myself down.

“It’s okay.” He said and knocked on the door.

Matt was the one who opened the door. He had a smile on his face.

“Peter!” Matt said.

My eyes widen. He knew Peter.

“Matt,” Peter and Matt shake hands.

Matt turns to me.

“You must be Melinda. A big fan right?” He said.

I nodded my head. I felt my face turn red.

“Peter has told us a lot about you, come in.” He opens the door.

I looked at Peter and he smiled. He took my hand and led me inside. Christopher and Dominic were on the couch drinking water.

“Peter!” Both of them said and did their man hugs and handshakes.

“Chris, Dom, meet Melinda.” Peter said gesturing to me.

I waved at them.

“Wow, she really is as beautiful as you said.” Christopher said.

“Thank you.” I said.

“A well deserve compliment.” Dominic said.

“You didn’t told me you knew them, Pete.” I said to Peter.

“Well I got the tickets from a friend.” Peter smirked.

I narrowed my eyes.

“Devlin knows them and Devlin introduced them to me about a year ago at a concert.” Peter said.

“You talked to Devlin before?” I whispered.

“We’ll talk about that later. Come talk to the guys.” He said.

[Later]

Peter and I got to my place around two in the morning.

“Was this a good night?” He asked when we crashed on my couch.

“The best night of my life.” I said with a grin on my face.

“I’m glad I was there on the best night of your life.” He said.

I turned my head and he was already looking at me. My heart started to thump. Maybe it was the beers I had.

I saw as his face got closer and closer. His lips just a centimeter from mine. Our lips only connected for about five seconds before I pulled out and stood up. I felt a little dizzy and almost fell backwards if it wasn’t because Peter caught my arm.

“It’s best if you go.” I said. He stood up and got really close to me.

“You feel our attraction don’t you?” He said. He also had a little too much to drink.

I shook my head lightly.

“Yes! Yes you do Melinda, I can see it in your eyes. You love me and I love you.” He said.

“I love Nathan, Peter. I love him.” I said trying to break away from him.

He held me tighter.

“He doesn’t deserve you, Melinda. He lied to you for three years. He was so selfish. He was only thinking of himself and didn’t think about your pain. Remember those nights you stayed up late just crying.” He said.

“No.” I whispered trying to block those dark moments in my life.

“Remember how you couldn’t stop drinking because all you wanted was to forget him and you blamed yourself because he ended up in a coma and all this time he was awake!”

“Why are you telling me this?” I yelled at him.

“Because he doesn’t deserve you, Melinda. I’ve been there for you all this time. I’ve loved you always.” He presses his lips against mine.
♠ ♠ ♠
Outfit