Status: Finished

Destiny Keeps Getting in the Way

Thirty-Nine

I wanted nothing more than to be in his arms. Nathan and I were silently watching some random channels to TV. We both called in sick and it wasn’t a problem for my family for me to be with Nathan.

“What do you want to do today, baby?” He said as he kissed my temple. I sighed happily.

“I don’t know whatever you want to do.”

“Let’s go to a club.” He whispered in my ear.

I smiled. “All right.”

“But let’s continue watching TV.” He said.

We watched TV for most of the day. Still, I couldn’t forget what Devlin told me. I looked at Nathan and he was watching TV with a neutral look. God knows how much I love him and I have to hurt him in order to protect him. What if I tell him? He’ll know what to do because this wasn’t my area of expertise.

I’ve never been blackmailed before.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” He asked.

“What?”

He turned to look me in the eyes. “You’ve been giving me that same sad look for a couple of minutes now. What is it, Mels?” He said really concerned.

I pursed my lips. “Nothing, I swear… I’m just… I don’t know. Still hurt about Peter actually being an enemy.”

“He’s not going to tear us apart, love.” He cupped my cheek and pecked my lips.

I know that. It’s going to be who is going to tear us apart.

I smiled for him. I had to act normal like nothing was going with me.

“I know but it’s hard to lose a friend.” I said. I shook my head as if to clear my head. “I don’t want to talk about him, Lucy or any other problems in our lives.” I smiled wide.

He smiled right back at me.

“I should go home and change for the club. What time are you picking me up?”

“Eight, invite your friends, I’m sure they’d love to see how London parties.” He smirked.

I chuckled and got up. I checked the time. It was one in the afternoon. I kissed his cheek and took my keys and bag and walked out of his penthouse and went to my car. I saw my body guard sleeping in his car.

I went to my car and opened the door. It was closed by someone. I looked and saw Devlin. He had a smile that said ‘Victory is mine’.

“I want to establish some things.” He said. “You mustn’t tell dear Nathan what I’m up to.”

“How will you know?” I asked.

“I have his whole place and yours tapped. So I can hear and see everything that you’re doing.”

“Are you going to give me a date for this shit?” I spat angrily.

He shook his head. “No, not yet, I’m going to let you whither in mystery for a while. See you at the club.” He winked.

How did he—oh right he has Nathan’s penthouse tapped. Asshole thought of everything. There’s always the hospital. I couldn’t risk it, damn it. I’m trapped. With no way out and pissed as hell. I got inside of the car and slammed the door close.

I turned on the music loud. ‘Psycho’ by System of a Down always helps me relax when I’m pissed. I didn’t care for people driving besides me looking at me as if I was possessed or something.

I got home and took a few minutes to relax. I listened to some music. I let out a high pitch scream until I couldn’t breathe. When I was done letting my anger out I walked out of the car and made my way to my apartment.

I could smell the food my mom was making in the hallway. I opened the door and I was greeted by my friends and family.

“I thought you were staying the whole day over at Nathan’s.” Linda said as I sat down on the living room couch.

“Change of plans. I came here so I can change to go to a club.”

“Ooh!!! Can we go?!” Brian insisted with a puppy look.

“Of course,” I laughed, “so let’s get ready because three girls getting ready for a couple is going to take forever.”

We went to work. I took a shower first because I didn’t take too long. Once I was done with my shower I chose the clothes for the club. I found a skirt that I hadn’t worn in a long time. I got a corset that matched the skirt and went to put it on. I applied lotion on my legs so they wouldn’t look ashy.

Once I was done with my makeup and hair I was putting on the black boots.

Linda and Maya were looking good too.

I smiled at my friends.

“Tonight is going to rock!” Linda said.

“I know. I get to say ‘I went to a club for my vacation… in fucking London, England!” Maya squealed. “We love you so much for moving here, Mels, but we do miss you over there.” Maya pouted her lips.

“Aw, thanks, and I miss you guys too.”

“Have you and Nathan thought about moving in together?” Linda asked.

“Nah, we’re kind of taking it slow for the moment.” I said.

“Well, in two weeks it’s my anniversary… three years.” Linda squealed. “I can’t believe it’s been so long.”

“I bet it would only last two weeks, remember, Maya.” I laughed and Maya nodded.

“I actually gave you guys a week.” Maya and I laughed.

Linda stuck out her tongue. “Whatever, we made it through, didn’t we?”

“I thought for sure you two were going to break up when you thought he was having an affair.” I said.

“When he was actually picking extra shifts at work so he buy you that golden necklace you wanted so badly.” Maya said.

“Yeah… he used that money to buy a car after I put sugar in his gas tank in the old one.”

“Oh yeah… you’re scary when you’re jealous.” I muttered.

Linda smiled wide.

“How long do you think you and Nathan will last?”

“What is that supposed to mean?” I said a little offended.

“Well, it seems there’s always something between you two.”

“Except for now. You guys seem happy.” Maya said. “I think you two are so cute together.”

“Yeah, that’s true.” Linda said. “A guy who takes a bullet for you is worthy of a second chance.”

I smiled at my friends.

“I know and I don’t think I would be the same without him.”

“We know that.” Linda said. “You were like a zombie when he was in a coma.”

At eight Nathan was here. My parents told us to be careful. Nathan said I looked delicious and that made me blush. His single touch was making me shiver. The boys complemented Nathan on his ‘Sweet ride’.

Nathan was wearing dark jeans with dress shoes, a blazer and a dress shirt that had two loose buttons at the top that showed his tone chest. He had the sleeves of the blazer and dress shirt up to his elbow. His hair was a mess instead of tidy and neat. He looked so hot.

“Stop drooling, Mels!” Maya called me out and I glared at her.

“Tattle tale.” I stuck out my tongue at her.

Tonight was going to be interesting. I just know it.

It felt like a bad thing but what could go wrong?