Behind The Searcher

Exile and Decay

I am known to some as the angel of death, but heed my warning. I pity the fool who mistakes me as angelic. I have many names, but you may simply call me the searcher. There have been innumerable myths and horror stories based on me; none of them accurate. I shall give you the curse of my tale, and may you be haunted for all eternity.

I was a man once. It was countless ages ago, before the coming of your Jesus, near the dawn of humankind, but I was in fact human. One must understand: as your collective minds grew, so did mine. The only difference is what we evolved into.

Back in my human days, I was known as Anthrarcis. I was a lone wolf, an exile. No need for the details, simply picture a gruesome murder on a chilly autumn evening. However, I committed such an act only to try and better my tribe. He was an infected arm on a healthy body, and infected limbs must be severed. My tribe could not understand my reasoning. They chased me clear of their land, leaving me with only the furs on my back and a ragged slash across my collar bone.

As the weeks passed, I barely endured the harsh bite of winter. I was further hindered by my weeping wound. I had no treatment for this infection, and this one could not be severed. Irony is a cruel mistress.

As spring awoke, I was barely breathing. I lay huddled inside of a shallow cave, with only a devastating pain in my chest and a severe emptiness in my gut to keep me company. Near nightfall, a lone figure came stumbling into my haven, only realizing I was there as well after he had collapsed onto the ground in exhaustion. He stuttered an apology and offered to leave, but I couldn’t care less. I knew I had only a few hours left until death took me.

Night came, and he built a fire and began to boil water for a stew of whatever leftovers he had stashed in his pack. Once simmering, he tossed some herbs and a few dried pieces of meat into the crudely made pot. The smell awoke my senses. With his help I rose to a sitting position, only to fall back down again seconds after. My body was weak and broken. He fed me most of the food, leaving for himself only a few mouthfuls. Thoroughly satisfied, I fell rapidly into a deep sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. I don't know how well this translates to other people.