I'm the Kind of Human Wreckage That You Love.

My Jersey Family

**Thank you so much to all the people who left comments, you've turned me into a complete recluse who's never off the computer! Yeah! jk, I hope you like the story and all your comments really propel me to try and write better chapters for you guys everyday.**

I woke up early and went to pick up some coffee and doughnuts. After a quick breakfast and a decent dose of aspirin, we headed back to his house. I was still dead tired so when we got there he changed and we just fell asleep on his bed. I was awaked by the sound of someone singing. It grew clearer as a woman came down the stairs.

“Oh, shit, Gerard. Wake up! Someone’s coming.”

“What?” he asked groggily.

A woman opened the door, but didn’t really notice me. She began to pick up his clothes strewn on the floor.

“You can’t sleep the day away, sweetheart.” she cooed in a kind voice.

She saw me when she turned around and was surprised for a moment, but then she looked to Gerard.

“Who’s your little friend, honey?”

“This is my best friend in the whole wide world, Grandma.”

I looked over at him. His eyes were lit up looking at her.

“Well stand up, darling.” She directed to me.

She put down her laundry basket and stepped over to the bed. Pulling me up out of bed, she spun me around holding my arm up in the air.

“Meet my grandma, Helen.” He announced.

“Oh, Gerard, she’s too skinny,” she smiled and looked back at me, “Let’s get some meat on these bones” She patted my cheeks and began to rip the sheets off the bed causing Gerard to flip out on to the floor.

“Uuhhh... Grandma...”

“Rise and shine, sweetheart. I’ll start some breakfast.”

With that, she exited his bedroom.

“Oh my goodness... I have met the grandmother I never had.” I gushed.

“This is great, two of the most important woman in my life have met, I couldn’t be happier. And even better, you guys like each other.”

“Really? You think she likes me?” I doubted as I walked over to help him off the floor.

“Oh, yeah. She usually just glares at the few girls I’ve brought home.”

“Wow, I’ve always wanted a grandma!”

“Well good, I’m glad. She’s the greatest cook ever, too.”

After pulling him up, we kissed a little and raced each other up the stairs. We were met by her smiling, singing face. I sang along to some of the lyrics I knew of “Money,” from the musical Caberet. She seemed very pleased by this.

“We’ve met another person to come over on movie night, Gerard!” she sounded excited.

“I know.” He agreed

“Do you need any help?” I offered.

“Who is this girl, Gerard? She’s so thoughtful,... and beautiful!” His grandma boasted, causing me to get goosebumps from embarrassment.

Gerard came up behind me and rubbed my arms warming me up as I stood in front of the sink.

“I don’t know how I got so lucky, grandma.” He commented before kissing me on the head.

“I don’t need any help, dear. I could probably cook breakfast with my eyes closed. Thank you.”

“It smells great.” I pointed out.

“You know, grandma, she’s a great cook, too. She just might give you a run for your money.” He shared before pulling me on to his lap at the kitchen table.

“Goodness, me! She can cook to? Thank heavens you finally brought home a nice girl.”

I took a seat between the two Ways. Gerard and I scarfed down our food while, as you could imagine, Helen daintily finished her meal.

“Gerard, could you go get Grandma her sweater from the front room?”

“Sure thing, Grandma.”

Gerard left leaving me and Helen a second to talk.

“Honey, I just want to say thank you.”

“Thank you? What have I done for you?”

“You’ve made my grandson very happy. I couldn’t put my finger on what it was that made him change so quickly... and drastically, but now I know. It’s you.”

“Really?”

“Oh, yes. He’d hit a bit of a rough patch lately, but then it all began to get better. When I saw you in his room this afternoon, I was so relieved. I thought to myself, ‘He’s found the one,’ and now, upon meeting you, I know I’m right.”

“I think that he’s the one, too.” I looked up from my hand placed around my mug on the table. She grabbed it and smiled so pleasantly at me.

Gerard strolled back in and helped Helen into her sweater.

“I know why you’re so special now, Gerard.” I told him while looking at his grandmother.

She smiled shyly, I knew where Gerard got his smile from, too. We cleared the table and began to wash the dishes.

“Oh my goodness! I almost forgot. How was your show yesterday, sweetheart?”

“It was great, grandma.”

“Were you there?” She asked me.

“You bet.”

“He used to get so scared before he went on stage.”

“Well not much has changed then.” I uttered, thinking it out loud.

“Is that right, dear?”

“Yeah, pretty much.” Gerard whispered.

“That reminds me, in the fourth grade Gerard and Mikey switched public schools, and I suggested he get more involved in school. Well, Gerard joined this drama club and got the lead in the play that year!”

“Wow, he did? He hasn’t told me this story.” I admitted.

“Grandma, no!” Gerard quietly protested with an embarrassed laugh.

“He did! And he performed as Peter Pan. Can you even imagine anything cuter in your life?”

“Nope.” I looked over to Gerard who had his head in his hands.

“Please... just stop there, grandma.” Gerard prayed.

“And I made him the most adorable little outfit. Do you remember it, dear?”

“Unfortunately, yes, I do.”

“Well, what did it look like?!” I begged.

“Grandma, how many times do I have to tell you to stop telling this story to people? It’s not even cool because a girl usually plays Peter Pan.”

“I’ll stop when it stops being cute.”

“What did the outfit look like?!”

“It was genmtmiiimes.” Gerard murmmered under his breath.

“What?” I asked.

“Oh, honey, I’ll just go get some pictures, then.” Helen reminded

“No! Grandma, no. It was green tights, okay!? Are you happy now?”

“Oooohhh, that’s the cutest thing I’ve ever heard, though, baby. Don’t be embarrassed. What the point of being shy? I bet you were the sweetest looking Peter Pan there ever was.” I hugged him around his neck and mouthed ‘Go get the pictures,’ to Helen standing behind him.

She rushed over to retrieve them while I kissed and reassured Gerard.

“I love it when you kiss my nose!” he said with a quick laugh, “and I love showing you off the my grandma, and to everyone.”

Image
“I love your grandma!”

He picked me up and threw me over his shoulder. I gently kicked trying to get down and he dropped me onto the couch in the front room. I sat up and looked around.

“Oh, my, God. I love your house! Look how ‘Jersey’ it is!”

“I know, right?”

“Look at the silk flowers and shit.” I leaned over the back of the couch to scan the whole room but Gerard wrapped his arms around my middle and pulled me down on to his lap.

“Okay, here they are!” Helen announced, joining us on the couch. I slid off Gerard’s lap and sat next to Helen and began flipping through old pictures.

“This is so unfair!” Gerard complained, but Helen and I just ignored him.

We spent most of the afternoon talking and shuffling through photos. She was one of the most amazing and unique people I’ve ever met. In just a couple hours, I felt like a better person, simply by meeting her. I learned how important their family is to each other, I was honored just being tolerated by these marvelous people, let alone accepted.

Mikey came home around dinner and joined Gerard on the ‘uncomfortable boat’.

“Well, I should probably get dinner started.” Helen concluded, ending our bonding session for the time being.

“Oh, then I should probably get home, I don’t want to eat anymore of your food, or overextend my welcome.”

“Never, child!” Helen reassured.

“Thanks so much Helen.”

“Call me grandma, sweetheart.”