I'm the Kind of Human Wreckage That You Love.

We Spark and Fade

Frankie helped me over to a stone wall to calm down.

“Sam! Sam?! Where did you go?!” We hear a new voice say. “Have you seen a guy, about six feet tall, brown shaggy hair, jeans, black shirt?” She directed to us.

Frankie groaned out of frustration and looked over his shoulder.

“We don’t...we don’t...” Frankie became flushed and couldn’t finish his sentence.
She was gorgeous, “Who...who are you?”

“I’m Jamia. Who are you? And what happened to you?” She inquired, looking at me.

“I’m Frank-”

I cut him off, “Your boyfriend, Sam, just got me punched me in the face.” I said matter-of-factly trying to get Frank’s attention again.

“What?!” She exclaimed.

“Well, he didn’t hit her or anything, this time. My friend heard about her,” he pointed back at me but couldn’t take his eyes off of her, “ex-boyfriend hitting her before and decided to, kind of, do a dance on his face.” He was scratching his neck and smiling.

‘I’ll smack his smirk off his face’, I thought jealously.

“He’s hit a woman before? Well, are you okay?! I’m so sorry. I didn’t kn-, God, this is terrible. I don’t know what to do.” Jamia expressed, sincerely.

“You’re boyfriend ran away in that direction, his face will be a lot worse than mine so don’t be surprised when you meet up with him.”

“You mean ex-boyfriend. I’m not going after that dirtbag.” Jamia crossed her arms and looked very confused.

“Well I have to get home,” I said standing up and walking off dizzily.

Frankie snapped out of it and began to go after me.

“Do you work here?” He asked Jamia shyly, walking backwards, hands in his back pockets.

“Yeah. In the music store. In the back.” She yelled to him.

He ran to catch up to me.

“I got jealous back there, it was weird.” I said to him even though he was still checking over his shoulder to catch a glimpse of her before she walked back inside. I sat in my car and slammed the door.

All he could do was smile. I gave him a dirty look and he saw my eye when he entered the car.

“Godammit! FUCK my friends.” He banged his head against the headrest.

“Don’t say that. Besides, you’ve already done that.” I reflected with a sly smile.

He laughed, “How are you dealing with this all so well?”

“You do all my freaking out for me.”

“We have to try and fix this, a least, a little before you see Gerard again.”

“You wanna go buy a steak?”

I drove to the supermarket and Frank jumped out to get two T-bone steaks. When we arrived at my place, we tried a dozen different things to make the swelling and bruising go down, but nothing worked. I just got worse. Around four thirty, I started to get dinner ready and I practiced what to say to Gerard on Frank, none of it sounded right.

“You just have to tell him the truth.”

“Yeah, but then that means it’s real. And that’s scary.”

“So he doesn’t know anything about it?”

“No, he actually knows some douche has hit me, but I wouldn’t tell him his name because he’d go hire someone to kill him.”

“Ah...”

“Okay. I’m gonna go pick him up. Watch the steaks on the stove.”

I walked into QuickStop Comics and held my breath. He was bent over the counter reading The Avengers.

“Okay, don’t freak out.”

He looked up and his eyes grew as wide as dinner plates.

“What the fuck happened to you?”

“I’ll explain in a minute, c’mon.” I outstretched my arm for him to take my hand.

“Okay, I need to lock up.”

He punched in a security code to a white box on the wall and I helped him pull down the metal cage and lock it. I could feel him staring at me with worry in his eyes. I could hardly believe he had the patience to wait until I was ready to talk. Frankie would be all over me. We made it into the car, but I couldn’t hold it in any longer, and broke down crying. Gerard pulled me on to his lap and quietly comforted me, stroking my hair. I coughed and sniffled and got tears and snot on his jacket, but he didn’t care. He just wanted to be there for me.

“Okay, I think I’m ready to go,” I whispered after a while.

“You sure?”

I nodded.

“Let me drive then.”

I nodded again.

He took the keys, smoothly slide out from under me and dashed over to the driver’s seat. He pulled out of the parking lot and I began talking. I told him all about Shaun and Sam, and how it was an accident, and how Frank had met Jamia. He just continuously nodded and glanced at me every once in a while. He parked the car and ran around to help me out of the car. We hugged for a long time before he kissed me briskly and we headed inside.

We were greeted by the smell of steaks, Frankie hadn’t managed to burn them for once in his life. We all had a lovely dinner, except for the fact I could feel both of them staring at my eye.

“Cut it out you two.”

“Sorry.” Gerard apologized.

“This steak tastes like eye.” Frankie replied with a mouthful of meat.

I threw my spoon at him.

“Ow!”

“Try getting punched in the face!”

That made him shut up.

After dinner Gerard and Frank began talking about their bands.

“Yeah, I don’t know how long Prep is gonna continue. We’re pretty fucked at this point.”

“Ah, really Frankie?” I asked concerned for him.

“Well, we’re actually looking for another guitarist. Me and Toro were talking about it. I think you’d fit in.”

“Yeah, um, when do you practice?”

“Whenever we get a chance, and a space.”

“You guys should some over to our recording space. It in Jersey City.”

“Right on, dude, we’re so there.”

“I feel trouble brewing. You better behave yourselves, Frank.” I pointed out.

“You should come with. It’s been forever since you’ve dropped by. We get so much more done with you there.” Frankie admitted

“Yeah, you should. You could be inspiration," Gerard implied smiling at me, ".... or something.”

I smiled back at the two boys, “Okay, then it’s a date.”

“Uh oh, I better go get some sleep if I’m gonna really be working tomorrow.” Frankie yawned, bidding us all adieu.

“We’re ALL alone.” I whispered to Gerard across the room.

“You know what that means...” He announced.

I dragged my feet in a sultry way over to him.

“I’m sorry I wasn’t there today.”

“I’m sorry I was, so I guess were equal.”

Image

“I love you.”

He surprised me.

“I love you.” I returned.

That night, it was the first time I ever actually “made love” and it was amazing, he was amazing.