I'm the Kind of Human Wreckage That You Love.

The Donner Party

“What’s up with you Frankie? You don’t look so good. Do you have a temperature?” I pressed my hand to his forhead, he was prone to getting sick, a lot.

He pushed my hand away and pulled me into the house.

“It’s Sam. He’s pressing charges against Shaun. And we’re all witnesses. I don’t know what to do.”

“No really, you’re extra pale right now.”

He wasn’t listening, just pacing. I sighed. He could get so worked up about anything. I wish he would call me before he had the six hours to fill to the brink with emotion or work himself into the flu.

“What do you mean witnesses?” I asked him, deflated.

“I don’t fucking know. What’s gonna happen to us? To the band? I mean, just, what the fuck!?” He was pacing back and forth.

“He’s a selfish prick, Frankie. He’s never thought of anyone but himself. This is Shaun’s fault, Frankie! He has to take responsitbilty, not us. If it wasn’t going to be this to send him to jail, it would be something else.”

I could feel my cheeks turning red and my head get fuzzy from pressure. Frankie had this way about him where he could change my mood with the snap of his fingers. I took a few deep breaths, I wasn’t going to let him get me mad.

“What do you need me to do for you, Frank?” I finally offered.

“I just... need you to be around. For advice? I guess. Just be around.”

“Since when have I not been around?” I asked, I felt guilty.

“I can just feel it. You’re gonna leave and be with Gerard and do your own thing, and leave be behind. I’ll be eating your dust before you know it.” He almost started hyperventilating.

Apparently, he had been filling up to the brink for weeks.

“Frankie... Never. I will always be here for you. You are my best friend in the whole wide world,” I motioned for him to sit down, but he’s as stubborn as a mule, “You’ve never been like this before.” I said it with a quick, nervous laugh and gave him a hug, I racked my brain for a reason he could be acting like this, “Wait a minute... have you seen that girl lately? What’s her name... Jamie?”

“Jamia.” He said with lightning speed.

“So, yes, then?”

He stepped away from me and looked over his shoulder, out of embarrassment. I crossed my arms.

“Well, she was really pretty... but, to get this worked up over a girl? I never thought I’d see the day-” I smirked at him.

“Shut up.” He jerked his head and glared at me.

“Please come here and sit down.” I reasoned.

He couldn’t stop the smile forming at his lips.

“You want to loo-o-ove her! And you want to maa-arry her! And you want to kii-i-iss her!!” I started singing and danced around him, just to taunt him, and hopefully make him less stressed out.

“Yes! Yes, okay? I went to the mall,” I kept singing and he raised his voice to be heard, “TO SEE HER! ...But that’s when Sam flew the fuck in like the damn Green Goblin, and cussed me out. Right in front of her! He’s such a fucking tight wad. What the hell is up his ass?!,” he smiled again and looked up from the floor to me, “He did look pretty fucked up, though. Shaun got him good.”

“He did kind of deserve it. But, what did you and Jamia talk about?” I questioned, extremely interested.

“Um... I don’t know.”

“Don’t say that! Tell me what happened.”

“Well... anyways... how was your day?”

He finally sat on the couch and I took a seat next to him punching him in the arm. I was glad I had found a distraction for him.

“Who cares! Even though it was pretty exciting, I need to know what happened to you. I’m here now, and I know she’s what you really want to talk about.”

“She’s amazing.” He was practically inaudible and staring at the floor, slightly smiling.

I overexaggeratedly held my heart with both my hands. Now I was filling up to the brink with emotion, with joy.

“She’s funny, she’s so smart, she’s gorgeous. She’s so fucking gorgeous.” He bit his bottom lip and looked over me.

I couldn’t be happier for him.

“This is it. The beaty who will finally tame this beast.” Frankie boasted with his hands laced behind his head, smirking and nodding to himself.

“Ah, jeez. More like created a monster.” I quipped facetiously.

“Shut it. You’re gonna miss the Ladykiller Frank, you will.”

I wasn’t really listening, but suddenly realized, “We get to go on double dates! Triple even, with Mikey and Sid. Oh, we’ll be such a happy family! Hooray!”

“I love it! You’re always thinking ahead. Good girl. And if you’re really good. I’ll even let you and Gerard have a threesome with me.” He was so deadpan, anyone other than me would have thought he was serious.

I covered my ears and kicked him, “Frank! God, you’re still the same. The exact same sleazy Flirty Frankie from all those drunken parties!”

“Flirty Frankie? What?!... Is that what you called me?!”

“Hey, sorry that when you get a few drinks in you, you start kissing everybody. I mean EVERYbody!”

I filled him in on some drunken circles of spin-the-bottle he had forgotten about. We made some cocktails and had some laughs and then Gerard called.

“Hey, where are you?” Gerard asked me, “I just got off work.”

“Good! Come over. Yes sir, get your ass over here right now!”

“I would babe, if you’d tell me where you are.”

“Oh, right. I’m at Frankie’s house. With Frankie.”

“Oh, thanks for clearing that up. I was a bit worried that you break into people’s houses and steal their liquor.”

“Hey! Shut up!”

“No judgement, I used to get drunk by myself all the time.”

“I’m not by myself! Frankie’s here! Stupid!” I covered the phone with my hand and leaned over to Frankie and whispered, “He’s just so silly sometimes.”

Frankie just nodded and laughed to himself, he moved like a first grader when he was drunk.

“I heard that, but I’m still coming over. How do you like that devotion?”

“Aw! You’re devoted to me? I love it! I love you!”

I hung up the phone.

“He’s coming over? But won’t that be weird?” Frankie worried.

“It’ll only be weird if you make it weird. He’s cool with you. He even wants you in the band. I don’t want you to feel threatened by him because you are two very different and special parts of my life, and you’ll always be Frankie, and he’ll always be Gerard. Does that make sense?” I started speaking really fast and thought that I began slurring some words.

“He wants me in the band? I am gonna kiss him when he gets here.” Frankie said matter-of-factly with a nod.

“Frankie, no! You don’t get to scare away this boyfriend. See what I mean, Flirty Frankie, Flirty Frankie!”

When he arrived I made a running jump into his arms and gave him a big kiss.

Image

“Aw, man. I’m jealous.” Frankie confessed.

“Who wouldn’t be? He’s so darn cute.” I remarked, transitioning into a standing position.

“Well, I might as well join in with the festivities. What are you guys drinking?”

“Cokes and Jack.”

“I think he means Jack and Cokes. But we have the fixin’s for gins and juices and Screwdrivers!” I corrected Frankie.

“Awesome, babe. How ‘bout a straight up Jack.”

“Oh?! He’s a manly man.” Frankie responded.

“Yes. Well, actually not really, but who cares? He’s my man, and that’s way better.” I expressed, handing him his request.

“I’ll drink to that, darlin’!” Gerard declared.

Multiple drinks later, we ended up in an intense game of Truth or Dare.

“Your turn Gerard.” Frankie pointed out.

“Okay, um, truth.”

“I’ve got a good one,” Frankie slickly revealed, “Why do you like my bestest friend?” He giggled out looking at me, watching me turn pink.

Gerard was looking at me and making me laugh because he had the hiccups. When he heard Frank’s question he turned to him as if he had a secret.

“Well... because I’m pretty sure she’s the only reason I’m still alive.”