I'm the Kind of Human Wreckage That You Love.

The Nightclub Sets The Stage For This...

Frankie got better and started spending every minute he wasn't practicing at the mall talking to Jamia. My eye completely cleared up, which kind of bummed out Frankie, because we never got any more free stuff at resaurants. My Chemical Romance and Pencey Prep shared a practice space, which soon became known, lovingly, as The Cubicle/The Cube, for several weeks and became good friends. Frankie's cousin was a local booking agent and got all of My Chem's first ten shows. Every weekend My Chem, Frank, and I would rush around NJ and some surrounding states in Otter's shitty van and hit every hall. We broke down half a dozen times and drank enough alcohol to make our livers think about packing their bags and moving. So, in a few words, we all became commarades, fighting the same good fight.

At work, all I would talk about to Mike was My Chem and their kids who would follow them to Connecticut and Pennsylvania, as well as the depths of hell. I guess he finally got sick of me, because he agreed to come to one of the shows. As usual, the boys rocked the shit out of their set. Gerard had doused himself in fake blood, got 60 kids to all spit on him at once, and convinced Mike into seriously considering them for the label.

Mission completed.

"He's got quite the stage persona." Mike commented to me drinking a gin and tonic.

"Yeah. He's fucking enchanting. Look at the crowd they-"

"They're all moving together, it's pretty impressive." He finished my sentence.

Image

I watched Mike for the next song, trying to read him. His body language seemed to prove his approval and interest.

"So, is he always like this? The lead singer. What's his name again?"

"Gerard, and no. He's a schizophrenically different person offstage. Like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde."

He just nodded without searching for an explanation and finished listening silently. After they finished, I suggested to Mike that he meet the band, I wanted to show off my brilliant diamond-in-the-rough discovery. I knew the guys were so charming and sincere, they would win over anyone. I rushed around trying to gather all the members, which was sometimes impossible, because they were mobbed my fans seconds after being spotted. But, the fans were cool, because it was like having a hundred drinking buddies everywhere you went, people who would back you up in a fight. When I met up with Mike again, he understood, and promised he'd meet them another time and also revealed that he had someone important for me to meet when I came in for work Monday morning.

When all the hype died down, me and the guys had some time to breath.

''So how did it go with Mike?" Ray asked eagerly.

"He loved it. He loved you guys."

"Really?" Gerard posed, wiping away sweat from his brow with a towel.

"Yeah. And he told me I was going to meet someone "important" Monday. I never thought I'd be saying this, but I'm excited to go into work on Monday.''

"Sweet, dudes!" Frankie exclaimed, you could hear the liquor behind his words.

I kissed all of them on the cheek and Gerard on the mouth, you could see the liquor behind my actions.

We finished up our weekend show and on Sunday, Gerard and I had the first day where we were truly alone together in a month.

"This is way too crazy. It's all happening so fast. It's like it was meant to be." I reflected merrily, lounging with Gerard on my bed. He was telling the truth a while ago. He had only gone back to his house to get clothes and art supplies, and to eat lunch with Grandma.

"I know. That reminds me, you'll never believe me, but you know that show in Delaware?"

"Yeah. The one with seven people and that homeless guy who tried to sell you a pirated tape of your set."

"Yeah, that one. Well, after you and Frankie went home, we were loading our stuff into the van and this guy came up to us. He was from Victory Records and wanted to sign us."

"What?! Why didn't you tell me?"

"We're weren't ready to be signed! Half our shit never works and I forget words still, and none of us can even set up the stage without a keg of beer in our systems... We just weren't ready. So we told them, kindly, to leave us alone. But now, I think we might be there. Ready to take the next step."

"To record! Woohoo! This is the most fun part!" I told him, "How many songs are on your demo?"

"Six, I think?"

"Enough...," I said, wrapped up in my own thoughts.

I stood up and started rummaging through some papers spread out on my desk.

"What are you doing?" Gerard yawned, we hadn't gotten much sleep that morning, if you catch my drift...

"I'm looking for Alex's number. You guys are going to need some promotional photos. He did Pencey's shots, and he's just a really cool guy-"

"Saavedra? I love that guy- Wait...No. No work. Not today." Gerard grabbed me and pulled me back into bed.

"Then what today?" I laughed.

"Just sex today."He informed me, furrowing into my neck.

"Oh, is that what Sunday is now?"

"Yes. And it's now called Sexday."

"Sexday? I like the sound of it." He was tickling me, but I didn't react as much because I had gotten used to his touch.

We "christened", pretty much the whole apartment that day, and Sexday became a time-honored tradition, withheld to this day.

Monday came, I hopped off to work, but after I got there, Mike was no where to be found. Lunchtime came and went, and I was getting antsy. Then around three, right after I got of the phone with Gerard at QuickStop, I heard a knock at my door. I answered it, and there was Mike.

"Well, if is isn't the Invisible Man!" I greeted him.

"Hey. Yeah, sorry I haven't been around. I've been making some arrangements."

"Oh, yeah? Have you been thinking about My Chemical Romance? Because I really think they're ready for us. And I would be extremely willing to work with them. I think it would be another great learning experience for me. I have the greatest faith in them and if you give them a chance, I believe they will their prove dedication and talent to you-" I had learned to talk fast, because he didn't always have a lot of time.

"Okay, okay, there, I hear ya. So, you're really excited about them?"

"Oh yes, sir."

"Good, because so am I. I have someone for you to meet."

He walked, while I skipped down the hall to his office and he opened the door. A guy wearing a baseball cap was sitting in a chair in Mike's office, and when he heard us enter, he turned to greet us.

"Hi," He said, "I'm-'

"Geoff Rickly." I finished his sentence, starstruck.

I turned around to Mike, then back at Geoff, I couldn't believe it, I have THE dream job.

"I think Geoff here can really bring together My Chemical Romance's aesthetic and unify a sound." Mike told me, confidently.

"Wow, wow. This is amazing. I can't believe I get to work with you..."

"Go ahead and call me Geoff." Geoff directed.

"So, you've heard the guys?" I wondered.

"Yeah, actually, I had heard the Attic Demos a few months ago, and I've been dying to get to a show. Then Mike calls me, knowing I've wanted to produce, and tells me they killed at the show he went to. It was just this coincidence, and I knew I had to work with the guys... and you, apparently."

"Yep, I told Geoff you'd be great for the guys. You know what you're doing and you know how to talk to people and get things done. And most importantly, you believe in what they can do, and when you believe, you make others believe. You practically force them to believe. In fact, you could've been a lawyer.'' Mike remarked, flattering me immensely.

I was nodding incessantly.

"Thank you so much Mike," I thanked, but then turned my attention to Geoff, "So you've heard the Attic Demos? Go, how'd you get a hold of those?"

"They just seemed to fall into my hands. What's the story with it? Where'd they go to record them?"

"Oh, wow.... They recorded in my friend's cousin's friend's attic. Everything's out of tune, barely anyone's together..."

"Yeah, that's true, but I can already hear what it's gonna sound like with some professional work."

"Me too! See, I told you Mike."

"And I believed you, I just had to find the right person to work with you and them."

I took Mike's hand to shake it, but had to pull him into a hug. Geoff reacted by pulling me into a big hug afterwards.

"I'm so excited! You'll never regret this guys." I cheeped.

"I know you won't let me down." Mike assured.

"I have to go call Frankie and Gerard!" I cried while running out of Mike's office.

"Wait for me! I'll come with you."Geoff called out after me.

"Don't do anything I wouldn't do, kid!" Mike challenged from down the hall.

Hearing him, I ran back down the hall and into his office, and knocked over his plastic cup full of pens on to the floor.

"Haha!" I laughed villainously, running back down the hall.

"Hey!" Mike protested.

"Ha! I love her already!" Geoff confirmed.