I'm the Kind of Human Wreckage That You Love.

The 10 Commandments of a Chemical Romance

Everyday, the boys, Geoff, and I, and sometimes, Sid or Mike, would make the drive to John Naclerio’s basement. He had turned his mom’s basement, into one of the most professional recording spaces in Jersey. During this time, it became quite apparent about three days in that the band was going to need another guitarist. It was at this time that My Chem officially asked Frank to join the band. He graciously accepted, they were his favorite band.

I don’t know what is is about the gravitational pull of the earth, or aligning of the stars, but it seems as if a thousand important things have to happen to you all at the exact same moment in time. Do you ever feel like that? Or do I just have really bad luck? Well, along with the band recording, and Gerard gradually moving in with me, Gerard also started having problems with his teeth. Why us, Jesus? One of his teeth had developed an abscess, which is just a fancy word for tooth decay. I drove him around to, like, ten different hospitals, but none of the retarded doctors knew what the hell was going on. So, the poor kid had to sing some of the tracks with incredible pain AND some facial paralysis. We called him “The Man With Half A Face.”

One morning, on our way to John Naclerio’s basement, Gerard and I were getting donuts and sat down to some coffee. He was stressed because he had been up all night, but still hadn’t finished the words to the song he was recording today, and he hadn’t eaten anything in a day, because it hurt to chew. The song was about his recent trips to the hospital and problems with his parents. He wanted to live with me, but his parents weren’t complying as he would of hoped. He would try to convince me to run away with him and elope, but I wasn’t even sure I believed in marriage. I believed in love, but I didn’t feel that I needed a piece of paper and a fancy dress to show it. And so, there we were, him furiously scribbling and mumbling to himself, and me seriously reviewing our past and contemplating our future. I realized I would marry him, if that’s what he really wanted.

“Shit, what the fuck am I gonna call this?” Gerard grunted, snapping me out of my reverie.

“What was that, babe?”

“What am I gonna title this?” He passed me the paper with about a dozen different variations of the same song written on it.

I read it and pondered. It reminded me of the last time we went to the hospital. The trip made me really consider what it could be like if Gerard had to stay in the hospital for an extended amount of time, and how scary it would be.

“Well,” I slid the paper back over to him, “I know that taking you home with me that day and not having to leave you in a hospital was the best day ever. I’m not sure how someone describes the best day ever...” I looked over to him, he was writing again.

“This... Is The... Best... Day... Ever,” He repeated as he wrote, “There. Thanks babe.”

“So that’s how... you amaze me, do you know that?”

“I try.”

Gerard and I grew as close as two people could possibly become, despite the minimal time we had been together.

By the grace of God, sometime in the next two weeks recording was finished and the boys had some photos to publicize with.

Our family was complete. Our mission was clear. Our dreams had been fulfilled.

The only thing left to do now was PARTY, and that’s exactly what we did.

Gerard and I, Mikey and Sid, Frankie and, the newest member to our gang, Jamia, and Ray and Otter drank and ate and congratulated until the management kicked us out. That didn’t stop our fun though. We headed back to my apartment and then the games really began. It came to a point where we had engaged in a game of charades, which led to a game of Pictionary, which lead to this.

“Oh my God! I have a good idea! It’s the GREATEST idea ever!” I declared, spilling the drink in my hand.

“What is it?” Frank asked.

“Let’s write the Ten Commandments of My Chemical Romance.”

“What? How?” Sid doubted.

“I’ll start!” Gerard said, “Thou shalt not put a gun to thy lover’s head!”

“Oooo, good one, baby!” I grabbed the Sharpie from Ray’s hand and taped another piece of paper to the wall. “#1. Thou shalt not put a gun to thy lover’s head. I’ve got the next one though, #2 Thou shall be willing to die for LOVE.”

“I GET it now!” Sid said, “Okay, I got one, Thou shall seek revenge on all those who have wronged you.”

“That’s so PRO, Sid!” I complimented while writing it down, “Anyone else?”

“I’ll give it a shot,” Ray spoke up, “Thou shall... be a demolition lover.”

“Nice...”

“Ooo, oo, pick me!” Gerard was raising his hand, waiting impatiently to be picked on.

“You!” I chose him.

“Thou MUST unleash the fucking bats!”

I wrote it down.

“Alright, you amateurs, be ready to be blown away,” Frankie warned us, “Thou shall protect thy lover from EVERYTHING. Even vampires.”

Everyone was laughing, as I wrote it down.

“Thou shall respect thy lord Gerard.” I added walking over to Gerard to give him a kiss. He pulled me on top of him on the couch.

“Oops, we lost our writer! Vanna White come back!” Mikey joked, “Give me the pen, and don’t forget to come up for air.”

I raised the pen in the air while still attached to Gerard at the lips.

“Guess I’ll have to take over.” He stumbled over to the paper on the wall, “What else?”

“Why... thou shall sing the holy hymns of the chemical romance, of course,” Sid tossed out.

“Thou shall see beauty in bloody love.” Jamia added gracefully.

“I like that a lot.” Sid praised.

“Okay, just one more...” Mikey said.

“Thou shall rock hard!” Otter summed up, obnoxiously.

“Okay, guys, we get it, you’re in love, but at least come up and look at our masterpiece,” Frank taunted me and Gerard, who were still making out on the floor in front of the couch.

Image

I sat up and looked at the paper.

“I’m definitely gonna frame that. That’s a good idea, huh, babe?” I looked at Gerard who sat up as well.

“Uh-huh.” He didn’t even look at the wall, he was just looking at my lips, then pulled me back into our little own world.

I guess some things happened after that, but I don’t much remember. When I woke up that morning, I was laying on Gerard, half-dressed, on my bed. I walked out of my room and found some bodies still passed out all around my place. No one had attempted to make it home, which was probably a good thing. I started the coffee pot and then staggered back into bed, waking up Gerard. He crawled on top of me and began kissing me all over the place, making me laugh, which woke Frankie up.

“Cut it out you two. What? Are we in the tenth grade?” Frankie complained, leaning on my door frame.

“You cut it out.” I told him, Gerard didn’t even react, he just continued his kissing.

“No, you cut it out.” He parroted back.

“Who’s in tenth grade, now?” I reminded him.

“Shut up.”

I watched Frank walk into the guest room and greet Jamia with a simple kiss and a smile, then close the door. I pushed Gerard to get him to look at me.

“I love you honey bunny.” I told him. “I’m so proud of you.”

“I love you too sugar booger.”

Image

“Haha. Ew, don’t call me that! You’re too silly.”

“You’re too kissable.”

Gerard turned over and kicked the door shut and then proceeded to completely undress me. When we finally came out, Ray, Otter, Mikey and Sid had left, but Frank and Jamia’s door was still shut. I guess great minds think alike and they were having the same fun Gerard and I had been having.