Status: UPDATE 10/2017: I'm attempting to edit and rewrite this story. So if you're a new reader and notice a sudden shift in narration or continuity, please be warned. It'll get fixed. Thank you.

Let Me Be Your Wings

004

Waking up before dawn is never a fun thing to do. I went through my morning routine, getting my coffee ready, getting dressed and presentable. I gathered my things by my front door last night so I didn’t have to worry about that. I did however do one last run through of my apartment before I grabbed my toast and coffee and carried my bags out the front door. Loading everything into my car I drove to O’Hare to meet up with the team. I parked my car and carried my bags into the lobby and found the group of them standing around. I walked over to join them, and was met by Howard.

Smiling I said, “Well good early morning, Uncle.”

He smiled in response, “Hello. How are you?”

“Tired, but I’m sure that’s what sleeping on the plane is for.”

“I um… heard you made quite the stir at Hjalmarsson’s party the other night.”

I cringed, “Is that not a good thing?”

He chuckled, “No, it’s a good thing. The players are all impressed with you. Did you really beat Kaner at that insipid video game?”

I laughed, “Yeah, I did. But don’t let the boys hear you call it that, they might take offense. Speaking of offense, and please don’t take any by this, but do you always travel with the Hawks? I thought the owners stayed in the cities.”

“Eh, I like to travel every once in a while, make sure everything we plan for road trips go smoothly.”

I smiled, “Well I'm glad you’re coming along this time.”

“Go get checked in.”

“Aye aye, captain.”

With a smile I walked over to the group of players. Adam and Patrick were already checked in and heading over to security, so I didn’t have to worry about running into them for the moment. Instead I stood with Duncan Keith, Kris Versteeg, Brent Seabrook, and Dustin Byfuglein. Kris was the first to greet me as I joined, “Hey hey hey, there she is! Mario Kart champion!”

I laughed, “Hello to you too. Are you always this cheerful in the morning?”

“Yes he is,” said Dustin, “And it’s the worst.”

Smiling Kris answered, “I’m just excited to play some hockey.”

“Well be excited later today,” said Duncan, “When we’re all more awake.”

“Your voice does have this awful pitch in the mornings,” said Brent, “Just so… fucking high.”

“You mean like this?” Kris raised his voice to a falsetto and we all cringed.

Playfully pushing him I said, “Please stop! I haven’t had enough coffee yet to properly handle boy shenanigans.”

“Well we’ll just have to get you loaded,” said Kris, “We’ve got time to grab some Starbucks after checking in.”

I smiled, “That sounds amazing.”

We waited a few more minutes in line before we all had our luggage checked in. Kris, Dustin, Duncan, and Brent waited for me before we all went through security. After passing through the metal detectors and putting our shoes back on, we walked down to our terminal where thankfully there was a Starbucks. Kris and I left the group to order me some coffee, him not needing any since he was such a damn morning person. Picking up my double chocolate mocha with an extra shot of caffeine we went over to the rest of the players at the gate.

“Is no one else boarding with us?” I asked looking around.

Kris smiled, “Don’t you know? We’ve book our own planes when we can.”

I smiled impressively, “Well that’s pretty cool.”

Kris laughed, “It sure as hell beats boarding times.”

Patrick Sharp and Adam Burish came over to us, Patrick patting Kris on the back, “Ready to fly?”

Kris smiled, “You bet I am.”

“Isn’t he just the worst,” Adam asked, “Every fucking morning trip, he’s like this.”

I laughed, “I will admit my annoyance for his chipper personality has dissuaded a bit thanks to my best friends chocolate and coffee.”

“You know,” Adam said pointing at me, “I’ve noticed you use really fancy words.”

I laughed again, “Do I? I don’t even notice.”

“You should listen to yourself sometime,” said Adam, “You sound really smart.”

“Are you implying that she’s not naturally smart,” Kris asked.

“I think it’s hot,” said Patrick with a wink.

I rolled my eyes, “Well thanks I guess.”

Coach Quenville came forward and said, “Alright everyone lets board.”

We moved forward to the boarding ramp, falling in line. My heart thumped in my chest as we neared the plane. I hated flying. I could do it if I really needed to, but I absolutely hated every moment of it. Entering the plan everyone was taking a seat. I had my eyes set on one set of seats only: the ones at the very back. Kris sat down in the middle, offering me a seat but I shook my head. Passing him, I slowly made my way to the back and took my isle seat. I was getting settled, when Patrick Sharp came up to me, “May I sit there?” He pointed at the empty seat near the wall.

I frowned at him, but I nodded. Standing up, he slid into the seat and smiled at me. “Cozy. I’ve never actually sat back here.”

I smiled, “Well they’re my preferred seats when I fly.”

“Why?”

“They generally don’t have a window and they’re close to the bathrooms.”

“What you get sick or something?”

“Not yet, but I like being near one just in case.”

“Well, I’m glad I’m sitting with you, anyway,” he said, “Sure beats Adam trying to steal my peanuts.”

I frowned, “I don’t think I’ll be any better. I’m terrified of flying.”

Patrick looked shocked, “Really?”

“Yes. Take offs and landings are where most of the air craft accidents happen statistically. Technically once we’re in the air, there is a one in almost a million chance of the plane going down, but that still doesn’t make me any more relaxed.”

“Those are some terrifying statistics,” Patrick said, “Now I feel worried.”

I smiled, “I looked them up hoping it would ease my anxiety about flying. The one in a million one did, that and knowing that turbulence has never brought down a plane before. But I usually cope with flying by reading and book and listening to a song.”

“What have you got today?”

Reaching into my carryon bag, I pulled out my very used and abused copy of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone. I also pulled out my iPod and unraveled my ear phones. Patrick smiled at my choice of literature, “You a Harry Potter fan?”

“Avid.” I couldn’t help the smile that crept onto my face.

“You know, I’ve never read them.”

“What?”

“I’m not much of a reader,” he said.

I smiled, “Well, if you ever want to try, let me know. It’s an excellent series.”

The lights in the cabin went out and I felt my heart drop. The cabin began to vibrate and rumble as the plane rolled back away from the terminal and begin taxiing to the take-off strip. I used this time to rest my book on my lap while I put in my ear buds. I scrolled through my music looking for Sound of Pulling Heaven Down by Blue October, the only song I played when I flew anywhere. Setting the song on repeat, I took a sip of my coffee and rested my head against my chair taking deep breaths. The plan stopped for a moment, and even with my music playing, I heard the engines roar to life as they prepared to speed down the runway. I gripped my armrest as I closed my eyes and tried to focus on breathing. As the plane began to move again, I felt Patrick’s hand take one of mine off the arm rest. Gripping it, I focused on breathing while feeling him rub the back of my hand in soft smooth circles. I felt my stomach drop as the plane’s wheels left the ground and my breathing hitched. I screwed my eyes shut as the cabin shuddered, straining against the sudden pressure changes. Patrick placed his second hand on my arm, rubbing it up and down. I appreciated his attempts at calming me. As the plane leveled out, I got my breathing back in control and I slowly let go of Patrick’s hand. Opening my eyes, I turned to him and gave a weak smile of thanks. He returned it, his face showing concern.

Letting go of his hand, I pulled down my table and placed my coffee of it, finally having free hands to begin reading. Reaching down past my table, I felt in my bag for my travel light, and my ear phone splitter. I felt bad being a boring travel partner, and hoped that, even though the song would be on repeat, that I could make up for it by offering to share.

Pulling out one of my ear phones, I said, “Would you like to listen to my travel song?”

Patrick smiled, “Sure. Let me get my headphones.” He took his out of his travel bag and plugged his jack into my ear splitter. He listened to the song one time through, and then noticed the repeat, “Are you going to be listening to the same song the whole time?”

I gave an apologetic smile, “Yes. It’s a very soothing song. You don’t have to listen to it the whole time if you get tired of hearing it.”

Patrick smiled, “I kind of like the song.”

I smiled and replaced my ear bud and opened my book to the front page. It’s always a relaxing thing to reread a favorite book. You’re not anticipating what’s going to happen next, and the rhythm of the text is almost lulling. It’s the perfect distraction for anxiety in my opinion. I sipped from my coffee as I read the trials and tribulations of Vernon and Petunia Dursley as their everyday life was interrupted by the arrival of their estranged nephew who was newly orphaned. I managed to get through a few chapters before my eyes finally grew tired. Even with the extra shot of caffeine the early morning fatigue won over. Sighing, I turned off my light and set my book down on my table. Leaning back, I closed my eyes and tried to fall asleep, still listening to the same soothing song.

I blacked out, catching some sleep I guess. I felt a hand gently shake me awake. Opening my eyes, I found that I had fallen onto Patrick’s shoulder in my sleep. Sitting up quickly, I pulled out my ear phones and gave an apologetic smile, “Sorry.”

He smiled in response, “Don’t be. We’ve landed.”

I looked around and saw everyone bending down getting their entertainment packed away into their carryon bags. I did the same, wrapping my ear buds around my iPod and packing it away with my book. My coffee cup was gone. A flight attendant must have taken it when I was asleep. Taking my bag off of the floor and placing it in my lap, I smiled at Patrick, “How was the flight for you?”

“Great. I think I know the words to your song now.”

I laughed, “Did you listen to it for long?”

“The whole way.”

“You didn’t have to.”

He smiled, “I like it.”

I felt a blush begin to form and I thanked the lord that the cabin lights weren’t on yet. The plane taxied across the air fields to the terminal, and soon we were allowed to get up and leave the plane. Standing up, I took a moment to stretch before moving forward to let Patrick out. We shuffled forward together and entered the terminal. Everyone was groggy as we moved through the airport heading to the baggage claim. As we stood around I found Howard and moved to stand with him. He smiled at me and held out a cup of coffee, “For you.”

I smiled at took it, “You shouldn’t have.”

“I know how much you like you coffee, and exactly how much you hate to fly.”

“Well thank you, this is an excellent prize for surviving that flight.”

“How did you do?”

I laughed, “I think I did pretty well. You’d have to ask Patrick Sharp. He was my seat partner.”

Patrick looked over at the sound of his name, and Howard and I both waved at him. Howard turned to me and asked, “Did you actually talk to him?”

I frowned in guilt, “No. I read my book then fell asleep.”

Howard laughed, “The poor boy. I’m sure he was bored out of his mind.”

“I warned him before he sat down. But he didn’t listen.”

“Ready to take some pictures tonight?”

Taking a sip of the chocolate coffee, I smiled “I was born ready, Howard.”

“Good.” He looked around at the boys, “I have a good feeling about tonight.”

I smiled and we parted to look for our bags which were now coming around the belt. I waited a few minutes before mine showed up. Grabbing it, I waited for everyone else to get their stuff ready, and we moved out to the waiting busses. I loaded on the staff bus sitting in the back next to James who was currently tweeting about the trip. He smiled at me as I took the empty seat and we were off. At the hotel we were all given our rooms and I somehow ended up with a single. I was happy about that, seeing as I didn’t have to worry about what a roommate would think about my personal habits. I had several hours to kill before I needed to be anywhere, so I decided to continue catching up on my sleep. Taking off my pants, shirt, and bra, I fell into my bed and closed my eyes, happy for the comfy mattress. I had just accomplished the perfect position, when my room phone buzzed. Giving a groan, I answered it, “Hello?”

“Hey, it’s Kris.”

“What’s up?”

“After practice some of us were planning on going out for lunch. Did you want to join us?”

“Um… sure. What time would that be?”

“Around three?”

I smiled, “Oh that’s perfect. I can sleep for a bit.”

Kris laughed, “Great priorities.”

“I thought so.”

“What room are you in? I’ll come and get you before we head out.”

“I’m in 320.”

“Oh that’s a floor down from me. Awesome.”

“See you around three then?”

“You bet. Have a nice sleep.”

“Thanks, have a nice practice.”

We hung up and I fell asleep.

~

At lunch it was Keith, Versteeg, Seabrook, Hossa, Toews, and Kane. We went out to a sushi bar and had ordered a few plates with the intent of sharing. I sat about in the middle of the table, with Versteeg across from me. We all reached over each other grabbing the pieces that we wanted. As we ate we talked about the upcoming game and how ready they were to take down Vancouver. They talked about me for a bit, asking me questions getting to know me better. They found out I used to be a dancer and dabbled in figure skating, which I never really pursued because hockey was more important to me at the time.

“But can you do some of the tricks?” Kane asked, “All that twirlly shit?”

I laughed, “You bet. I remember one of my coaches was this really severe Russian woman who was known for her student’s perfect triple slachow. She had me do them in repetition over and over and over again until I did three perfect ones in a row. So I’m sure I still have that one down.”

Hossa laughed, “We’ll have to get you out on the ice sometime. I would love to see how much you remember.”

I smiled, “I’m sure it will be completely embarrassing.”

“I want to see you dance,” said Kris, “Keith dances a bit.”

“Oh gee, thanks buddy.” Duncan laughed.

“Do you know how to dance?” I asked looking down at him.

“He thinks he can,” said Jonathan.

Everyone laughed, but Duncan defended himself, “I’ve got some good moves.”

“Well here,” I said, “I’ll make a bet with you guys. You win tonight’s game, and I’ll dance with Duncan Keith.”

“Don’t bring me into your bet,” he said, pointing at me with his chopsticks.

“Too late,” said Patrick Kane, “I’ll take you up on that wager.”

I smiled, “Alright then.”

Duncan frowned, but then smiled, “Whatever. It’ll just give me a chance to show these squares what real dancing looks like.”

“Don’t run your mouth too much,” said Seabrook, “I saw the way you danced with Kelly at your wedding. Those moves weren’t much to be desired.”

Duncan nodded, “Touche.”

“Well spread the word amongst the boys,” I said, “If they want to watch Duncan Keith make a fool of himself at dancing, they have to win tonight’s game.”

And win they did. Chicago took the game seven to nothing. I got beautiful shots of the boys out skating, out shooting, and out scoring the Vancouver Canucks at every turn. Returning to the hotel, everyone went to our rooms to change into party clothes so we could go down to the hotel bar and have a celebratory dinner and drinks. I made sure to wear a light pair of pants with my shirt so I could move easily while I danced with Duncan. Lord knew how well this was going to go, but we were all about to find out. I ate my dinner with Howard, Joel, James, and Mike Kitchen. Word of the wager had reached them, and they were excited to see the reason behind the team’s drive to win. When dinner and desert was over, I found Duncan sitting at a nearby table and gave him a knowing smile. He gave an overly dramatic sigh and set his napkin down on the table. Standing up, the boys cheered and cat whistled at him. Walking over to me, he offered out his hand and asked, “May I have this dance?”

I laughed and said, “Well I did promise.”

Standing up, I followed him out to a small dance floor where we stood for a moment, “Don’t think I’m going to let this go any time soon.”

Holding up my hands I said, “I will gladly take whatever comes my way.”

“Do you want to start out impressively or should we start off slow.”

“Wait, we’re doing two dances?” I gave a laugh, “We only promised one.”

“Yeah, but I thought two would be good enough to keep them from constantly asking for a redo.”

I nodded, “Smart thinking. What is your specialty?”

“Honestly? Swinging.”

I laughed loudly in shock, “You know how to swing? With the lifts any everything?”

“I do.”

I nodded with a huge grin on my face, “Okay, okay. Um… yeah, that would certainly be impressive. My specialty is Salsa.”

“I can do that.”

“Really?”

“I’m telling you, I know how to dance.”

I nodded, “Alright. Well, I think we’ve left them waiting long enough.”

Walking over to the house DJ, I asked if he could play the two songs we needed, and went back to Duncan. The boys gave more cat whistles as we took our position for the salsa. I stood next to him with his hand wrapped around my waist. I raised my hand in a flourish above my head and we waited. The sound of Jump In The Line by Harry Belefonte began and we started dancing. I had to admit, Duncan Keith really did know how to dance. He took charge instantly and moved me around the dance floor in a wonderful array of moves. By the end of the song we were both breathing heavily as he had me in a dip. We smiled at each other over the eruption of applause and stood to prepare for the grand finale. The drums began and we took off dancing to Zuit Suit Riot by Cherry Poppin Daddies. This was the dance to really wow everyone. Duncan expertly moved me into position to do the cross body lifts, the overhead lifts, and even a lift where I was brought over his head, down his back, and caught by the hands between his legs, being dragged back up again. That one brought down the house. When we finished, everyone was up giving us a standing ovation. Turning to Duncan I gave him a hug, “You are amazing!”

“You’re not too bad yourself,” he said.

“Thank you for being my dance partner.”

“My pleasure. Though, don’t ever volunteer me every again.”

Laughing, I nodded, “Deal.”

Stepping off the floor, I was pulled into a hug by Howard who proudly said, “That’s my talented girl!”

I laughed again and pulled away from him, going over to the bar to get a drink. Opting with a light beer this time, I ordered a Stella Artois and was joined by Patrick Sharp while I waited for the bottle.

“That was amazing,” he said.

I smiled, “Thank you.”

“How many more hidden talents do you have in there?”

I laughed, “Marion Hossa might know one more, but there’s not many left.”

“What does Hossa know?”

Giving him a sly smile, I took my drink from the bartender and took a sip.

“Oh,” he said with a smile, “You’re not going to say?”

“Nope.”

He chuckled, “Well, challenge accepted. I’m just going to have to keep hanging out with you until you let it slip.”

I laughed, “Good luck, Mr Sharp. Good luck indeed.”

Duncan and my example inspired other players to get their groove on, and soon there was a small dance party on the dance floor. I was invited to go out by Patrick, but I turned him down, opting to sit and watch a bit. Adam came over and dragged him out onto the dance floor, and he was replaced by Kris Versteeg.

“If you can move like that on the dancefloor, I really want to see what you look like on the ice.” He smiled at me.

Smiling back I said, “Well, let’s hope it’s not too soon. I need to keep you guys guessing somewhere. I’m sure Joel would love the motivation later one down the road.”

Kris laughed, “Good point.”

We stayed at the bar for a while longer until fatigue finally got the better of both of us. Paying off my tab, I said goodnight to Howard and Joel, and together with Kris, we both left for our respective rooms. In the elevator, we continued to joke with each other, but when we reached my floor, I turned to him and said, “Well, good night, Kris Versteeg.”

Giving me a hug, he replied, “Sleep well, Kaycie Cullen.”

Leaving the elevator, I gave him a parting wave, and entered my room, stripping down and falling, again, into my bed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments = more love from me = MORE UPDATES!

UPDATE: I'm attempting to edit and rewrite this story. So if you're a new reader and notice a sudden shift in narration or continuity, please be warned. It'll get fixed. Thank you.