Status: UPDATE 10/2017: I'm attempting to edit and rewrite this story. So if you're a new reader and notice a sudden shift in narration or continuity, please be warned. It'll get fixed. Thank you.

Let Me Be Your Wings

005

After the victory in Vancouver, the boys were off to a quick came in Calgary to face off against the Flames. We took buses there to save on flight costs. Again, I sat with James and together we worked on our media projects. I gave him some videos of post victory locker room celebrations, and he helped me find the right pictures of the boys to use for an up-coming flyer promoting their annual Circus Tour. It was a long few hours in the bus, but it was well worth not having the anxiety of flying on a plane. Plus, it was great getting to work directly with James, who has been with the organization for several years. He had a good eye for what the home offices wanted and was more than willing to help me figure out how to deliver the best media material to them and ultimately to the fans.

Arriving at the hotel in Calgary, everyone unpacked and made our ways up to our assigned rooms. Setting my stuff on my bed, I grabbed my camera and ID badge and headed back down. I milled around the lobby as I waited for the boys to come down. They were going to have a quick drill based practice, no scrimmage. Just get their tired bodies into action for tonight’s game. Kris Versteeg and his roommate Dave Bolland were the first to come down. Coming over to me, Kris smiled, “Have a nice ride over?”

“As much fun as one can have in a bus.” Turning to Dave I held out my hand, “I don’t think we’ve officially met.”

“You’ve got some killer moves, man,” he said, “I’ve never seen Keith look like this.”

I smiled, “Well thank you, it was more him than me, to be honest.”

Toews, Kane, Seabrook, and Bickell were next to come down, then the flood gates opened and the lobby quickly filled with hockey players. When Quenville came down, he gave the orders to get one the bus, and that’s what everyone did. Kris grabbed onto me, dragging me onto the player bus. I protested, saying that I probably wasn’t allowed, but he answered, “Nah, some of the equipment guys are coming on too. We’ve more than enough room.”

Pushing me up onto the bus, he sat me down in a seat and took up the space next to me. Players filled in around us, Sharp and Burish came on, but had to move on due to no seats. I smiled at them as they passed, and they did the same to me. Getting to the practice center, the boys got out and entered the locker rooms quickly. I went out to the arena and got my camera ready. After ten minutes, the players began skating out. I took some video of them getting out onto the ice, joking around with their sticks. Burish spotted me on the exterior and skated in front of me, posing for the camera. I giggled at him, taking a few shots of him for fun, but then refusing after a while. The boys fell into two lines, and began to do drills. I took shots of them, video of them, anything I could think of, sending some of the really good moments to James. When practice was over, the boys were dismissed to get lunch. Getting back on the bus, I again sat with Kris. At the hotel, I declined eating in the restaurant, instead grabbing a veggie wrap and an iced tea before heading up to my room. I had more editing to do before the game tonight.

When it came to game time, I was on the staff bus, all of us jazzed to watch some hockey. I waved goodbye to James would be up in the press box. I took my seat near the visitor’s goal, waiting to get some good saves. I had a long range lens for the goals at the other end of the ice. I waited patiently for the game to start, and after thirty minutes, it did. Chicago was welcomed out onto the ice, and the anthems were sung. I cheered and applauded the singer, and sat down as the game started. I readied both of my cameras, and the game began.

The boys walked away with a two to one victory over the Flames. Going to the airport, we prepared for the flight back home. I walked in with Howard into the airport. He was ecstatic over the boy’s performance this trip. He was confident in their abilities to continue their little streak when they got home. Checking in to the flight and getting through security, I stopped at a coffee stand and ordered my usual chocolate drink. I smiled as I took the first sip and prepared myself for the physical task of getting on a plane. I made my way over to the gate, and Kris Versteeg met me.

“Wanna sit together?” He asked.

I smiled, “As long as I get to pick the seats.”

“You gonna pick the back ones again?” He asked.

I nodded, “You bet.”

He gave me a smile, “Sounds great.”

We were allowed to board quickly this time, and I took a deep breath. Clutching my coffee and my carryon bags, I boarded the plane and made my way to the very back of the plane. Patrick Sharp was already in one set of seats. I smiled at him as I entered the other side of the isle followed by Kris. Getting my book and iPod ready, I turned to Kris and smiled, “So… you might end up talking with Patrick more than you will me, just so you know.”

Kris gave a small laugh, “Why?”

“I um… am terrified of flying.”

“Really?”

I nodded, “Yup.”

“Well, I’ll be right here if you need anything.”

I smiled and turned on my music, “Would you like to listen? It’s going to be on repeat.”

Kris smiled, “No, I’m good.”

I nodded and took a sip of my coffee. As the cabin dimmed and the plane started moving, I took deep breaths as it taxied over the grounds. When it came to the runway, I closed my eyes and again gripped my arm rest. When the flight took off, I screwed my eyes together and tried my best to get a grip on my breathing. Kris sat next to me, and didn’t try to sooth me as Patrick had. When the plane leveled out, it took me a moment to calm my breathing, and again. Once I had that under control, I took out my book and began reading. With some of the down time I had on the trip, and not to mention the bus ride, I was able to get through most of my book. I only had a few chapters left, and I was hoping to get through the whole book before my eyes grew too tired. I did just that. Finishing my book, I set it down and closed my eyes to try and get some sleep.

I felt us land and I gripped my arm rests again. When everything was said and done, I was glad to be up and getting off of that plane. Kris smiled at me as he moved forward. I stood and waited for Patrick to go, but he waved me forward instead. As we shuffled down the aisle Patrick placed his hand on my shoulder, “How are you doing?”

I looked over my shoulder at him and answered, “Fine, thank you.”

We continued forward and eventually got to the baggage claim. I found my bag immediately, and bade everyone goodbye. The boys had two days off from hockey, which gave me time to upload my photos and videos and get some graphic design work finished. I walked to my car and got in, happy to be going home to my own bed. I pulled out of the parking lot and was flagged down by Adam and Patrick. Rolling down my window, they leaned down.

“We’re going to a dance club tonight to celebrate our wins,” said Adam, “You’re coming and there is nothing you can say to get out of it.”

I frowned, “Really?”

“Yeah, Sharpy will be there, so will a bunch of the other guys.”

I thought about it and sighed, “I guess.”

“Sharpy can pick you up,” he said. They left before I could say anything.

Driving back to my apartment, I entered my home and set my computer and camera down on my kitchen table. Tossing my bag on my couch, I went to my kitchen to make some coffee, and I began work. I was making more banner prototypes for the Circus Tour adverts that were going to be displayed on CSN. I got through several examples that were all uploaded to James who would further tweak them and make them nice and polished. I also submitted more ideas for media wallpapers, and sent him more videos I found on my cameras. I had been working through my pot of coffee, and didn’t notice the passing time. It was only when my doorbell buzzed at me did I look up from my computer and notice that it was dark outside.

I walked over and pressed on the talk button, “Hello?”

“Hey, it’s Patrick.”

I looked down at myself and saw I was still in my travel clothes. “Um… come on up.”

Buzzing him in, I waited for him to arrive at my door, and let him in. He took one look at me and said, “You’re not ready!”

I gave an apologetic look, “I’m sorry, I was trying to get as much submitted to James as I could, and I just lost track of time.”

“Well, time’s up. Let’s get you ready.”

I gave him a smile, “Um… you can have a seat, can I offer you anything to drink?”

“No, I’ll be getting my fill tonight.”

I smiled and excused myself to get dressed. I had no idea what I should look like. I’ve never been to a dance club. I decided to settle with a nice top over a pair of jeans. I quickly swept my hair up into a pony tail and I did a simple face. Coming out, Patrick looked over at me and he frowned, “No.”

“Excuse me?”

“You’re dressed all wrong,” he said, “You gotta dress up a bit more than that.”

I frowned, “You’re not!”

“Of course I am! Do you think I usually go out in a jacket?”

I frowned harder, “Well I don’t know what to wear.”

Patrick smiled and walked passed me into my room, “Let me look.”

“Hey! Get out of there!”

“Too late!”

I followed Patrick Sharp back into my bedroom and blushed suddenly noticing how incredibly messy it was. Patrick didn’t seem to notice. Instead he was in my closet, flipping through my clothing. Finally he pulled out a black dress that I hadn’t put on since college. It was a body contour dress, simple and straight. I frowned as Patrick held it out to me, picking a pair of strappy black heels off of my door to match.

“You want me to wear that?” I asked.

“Yeah.” He smiled, “You’ll be the hottest girl there.”

I frowned at him, but decided that I had better put it on or we’d never leave. I kicked Patrick out of my bedroom, and quickly changed into my dress. It was tight. I looked at myself in my long mirror that hung in my room and I had to admit it did compliment my figure well. Adding my heels, I decided that my makeup didn’t match. I quickly added a black winged liner and a red lip to my face. Sighing, I stepped out of my bedroom I walked slowly back to my living room where Patrick was waiting. Turning at the sound of me heels, he took one look at me and he was stunned.

“Is it that bad,” I asked with a laugh.

“No.” He took a moment to gain composure, “No, you look amazing.”

I smiled with a blush, “Well… shall we go?”

Patrick nodded and together we moved to the door. I grabbed a grey pleather jacket and locked my door behind us. Walking outside, I draped the coat over my shoulders and followed Patrick to his car. The drive into the city was quiet. We didn’t talk much, just listened to the radio. When he pulled in front of a rather impressive building, he gave his keys to a valet and took my hand leading me into the building. On the first floor, it looked like a simple office space. He led us to the elevator and pressed a number on an impossibly high floor. As the doors closed it was clear that it was just going to be us on this 30 floor climb. We again stood in an awkward silence; I played with my coat that I had left on instead of leaving in the car. He looked at me and I could feel his eye boring into me. I finally looked up at him and gave him a smile.

“You look amazing.”

I gave a soft laugh, “You already said that.”

“Sorry, it’s just… it’s the truth.”

I fought off the blush but it came anyway. I looked at the floor counter and found that we still half of the floors to go. I let out a sigh as I began to rock back and forth. Again Patrick watched me, a smirk on his face. I peaked at him and I turned to face him again, “What?”

“Nothing.”

“Why are you looking at me like that?”

He mocked innocence, “Like that?”

“Like you’re ready to claim a prize.”

His smirk grew in force to a full smile, “Maybe I am.”

I frowned at him hoping to discourage him, but it wasn’t working. The sound of a heavy bass could be heard on the floors above us and I thanked every god above that this elevator ride was going to be over. When the doors opened, we were greeted with a sonic blast of noise and neon color. Patrick placed his hand on my lower back and led me through the doors and over to a VIP section of the room. People were all over the place, come dancing on the neon lit floor and others crowding a bar. Patrick ended up having to take my hand as he continued to lead me through the room and up a flight of stairs. We found the Chicago Blackhawks standing around with their significant others and other girls that they had invited. Adam saw us come up the stairs and his jaw dropped. He grabbed his glass and came over to us and he gave me a hug, “Hot damn are you lookin’ mighty fine tonight, Miss Cullen.”

I smiled glad that my blush couldn’t be seen in the dark, “Thank you, Adam.”

We made our way further onto the platform and I sat my coat down on a pile that had already been started. Duncan came over and tapped on my shoulder. I smiled up at him and he gently gripped my arm and pulled me out onto a balcony where the music wasn’t quite so loud, “I want you to meet my wife.”

I looked from him to the absolutely stunning blond woman standing in front of me. She smiled and held out her hand, “Hi, I’m Kelly.”

I smiled, taking her hand, “Hello, it’s nice to meet you.”

She smiled, “So you’re the woman in the video.”

My heart sank, “I should have known someone filmed that.”

Duncan and Kelly laughed. Kelly held up her glass, “Well anyone who makes my husband look that good I had to meet.”

I smiled, “Well I’m glad we could meet.”

Brent Seabrook came out with his fiancée and introduced me to her. I smiled and shook her hand as well. Her name was Amanda. She smiled and asked, “So are you here with Sharpy?”

I gave a small laugh and held up my hands, “No, no, he’s just my ride.”

“So you’re not dating Sharp?” Kelly gave a shocked smile.

“No,” I smiled, “We’re just friends.”

“Well, you’ll need to tell him that,” said Amanda, “The way he looked at you as Duncan pulled you away begs to differ.”

“You have to watch out for him,” said Brent, “Once he sets his eyes on something he wants, he’s going to get it.”

I frowned, “What if I’m not a thing to be had, Brent?”

Kelly and Amanda both laughed. “She’s got you there, babe.” Amanda said. Turning to me she added, “But he’s right. Sharp will stop at nothing to get in your pants if he likes you enough. We’ve seen him do it with countless women. Just be careful.”

I smiled and nodded, “Um… well thanks for the advice I guess.”

“Oh no,” said Kelly, “Not her.”

We all turned to look to see who had joined us on the balcony. She was a red headed woman who had so much make up on her face I could have chiseled my name into her forehead. She wore a very tight dress that cut off enough to technically qualify as a dress and not just a shirt. She wore very large platform high heels that were obviously hard to walk in. She had a half drunken drink in her hand and it was clearly not her first.

“Who is that,” I asked.

“Her name is Jaime,” said Kelly. “She’s a puck bunny.”

I frowned, “A what?”

“A puck bunny,” said Brent, “She hops from player to player.”

“Oh.”

Amanda wrapped her arm around Brent, “I wish she would stop getting invited to these things.”

Patrick and Adam came over to the group, looking very desperate. Adam had with him a beautiful brunette woman I hadn’t seen before. Patrick looked at me and asked, “Please be my date tonight.”

“What?”

“Please. I need your help.”

I frowned, “And how will my being your date help you?”

“It might help Jaime stay away from him,” said Adam, “She’s the worst, man.”

I frowned harder, “I don’t know, Patrick. I don’t want people to think we’re really together.”

“We’ll help spread the word,” said Kelly.

I shook my head, “I’m sorry, you’ll have to fend for yourself.”

Patrick ran his hand through his hair, “Damn.”

I laughed, “She can’t be that bad. Just tell her no.”

Patrick signed, “If only it was that easy.”

“Hey, Sharpy,” yelled a high pitch voice. We all turned to see Jaime sway over to us. She wrapped her arm around his neck and held herself to him. “How are you?”

“Hi, Jaime.”

“What a coincidence,” she said, “You’re here by yourself, and so am I. I’ve been waiting for you to come. I was beginning to think you weren’t going to show.”

I looked at Patrick who looked at me with pleading eyes. I looked around the rest of the group who were not making eye contact with the new comer, clearly trying to make her feel unwanted. I gave a sigh and said, “He didn’t come alone.”

Jaime’s head snapped dramatically in my direction, her eyes wide with what might have been actual anger, “And who are you?”

“I’m… his date.”

Patrick untangled himself from Jamie and moved over to me, wrapping his arm around my waist. “Meet, Kaycie.”

Jamie scoffed, “This is your date?”

Patrick shrugged, “Would you believe it?”

She shook her head, “No… I wouldn’t.” She finished her drink and she said, “Whatever, Patrick. Whenever you’re ready to have your world really rocked, just come and find me. I’ll be the best you’ve ever had.” With that she walked away.

Turning to me, Patrick held my shoulders, “Thank you so much.”

I sighed, “Whatever, just don’t let anyone really think this is a date. I’ll just hang out near you for the night, I guess.”

“You won’t be sorry.”

I frowned, “I hope not.”
♠ ♠ ♠
CHICAGO WINS AGAIN 6-5!

Comments = a happier me = more updates = a happier you!

UPDATE 10/2017: I'm attempting to edit and rewrite this story. So if you're a new reader and notice a sudden shift in narration or continuity, please be warned. It'll get fixed. Thank you.