Status: UPDATE 10/2017: I'm attempting to edit and rewrite this story. So if you're a new reader and notice a sudden shift in narration or continuity, please be warned. It'll get fixed. Thank you.

Let Me Be Your Wings

007

The next game was against the Buffalo Sabers at Chicago. I had a nice two days off after the night at the dance club. I got so much work finished that, not only did I overload James with material, but I was able to clean my apartment and hang up some décor in my hallways. By the end of the last day, I was ready to shoot some hockey. Pulling into the United Center’s employee parking, I was literally shaking with excitement. Walking into the massive building, I smiled and waved at other employees along the way. Tonight was going to be a good night, I could feel it.

I found James in the press box setting up for a night of wild twittering and media coverage; he too was feeling the good vibes in the building. He had taken over documenting the morning skate today and he said the boys were all looking especially good. I smiled and made my way down to the locker rooms, hoping to get a few shots in of the team arriving. I rounded a corner and saw Captain Serious himself walking in. Smiling, I lifted my camera and shouted ,”Hey, Johnny!” before snapping a quick picture of him. I let out a small laugh as he made a face at me and flipped the bird. I stuck out my tongue at him and we smiled at each other as he passed. Hossa, Campbell, Ladd, Shaw, and Stalberg were the next around the corner. I was a bit more kind to them, just snapping pics of them as candidly as I could. They all had head phones in, getting into the zone to play some good hockey. Duncan and Brent came around the corner and I smiled at them booth, pausing to wish them good luck. After them, Kris Versteeg entered the hallway. Smiling, I said, “Good luck tonight.”

He smiled, “Thanks, Kaycie.”

I gave him a quick hug, then saw Adam Burish and Patrick Sharp. Adam saw my camera and made some funny poses as he walked forward. I snapped a few of them, then gave him a welcoming hug, “Missed you these past few days,” he said, “Where were you?”

I shrugged, “I had work to do.”

Adam shook his head, “I think you were avoiding us.”

Patrick looked at me as Adam said this, I shook my head, “I honestly just stayed home and caught up on work.”

Adam nodded, “Mmhm. If that’s what you say.”

I game them both a smile, “I’ll see you after the game, yeah?”

Adam nodded, “Oh hell yeah, baby.”

“Go get em.” I smiled at them as they left. Finishing off the pictures, I moved down the hallway to the gate that would lead me out to my spot out on the ice. I looked down at my camera playing through the few shots I had taken, when I bumped into someone. Looking up, I found a Sabers goaltender, but his helmet was on. I helped him brace his fall and said, “I’m sorry.” I passed him and continued out into the arena. I managed to get to my seat and set my equipment down when the lights in the arena went out. The crowd in Chicago erupted in applause as the opening hype video began. It was one of my favorite parts of the opening ceremony, they did it every game. At the end of the video, the Chicago Blackhawks skated out onto the ice to the overwhelming cheers of the fans. The lights came back on and the ceremonious drill skating commenced. I tested out my long range lens as the goalie for the Sabers came to the net. Ryan Miller locked eyes with me and game me a smile. I nodded back, returning the smile. He stopped at his net and set up his gloves, all the while still looking at me. I felt that a blush form on my neck that raced to my cheeks and I averted my eyes. Taking a breath to regain my composure, I held up my camera and took a few more quick shots, then the game began.

They won one to nothing. The good vibes everyone felt that day came through in the way the boys played. I went down to the locker rooms to meet up with Howard, but was stopped as the Saber equipment managers took up the hallway. I stood off to the side, pressing myself to the wall letting them pass. One of them came to a stop in front of me, “You the one taking pictures at the Sabers’ end of the ice?”

I paused but said, “Yes?”

“This is for you.” The man handed me a folded sheet of heavy paper.

“What-”

“I don’t know what it’s about, all I’m supposed to say is that it’s ‘just a note to remind you.’”

He walked away and I frowned after him, then looked down at the paper I held in my hand. It had a glossy texture to it, and upon opening it I chuckled. It was a photograph of Ryan Miller and at the bottom it had his autograph with the inscription “Watch where you’re going next time.” I laughed and folded it back up, stuffing it into my back pocket. With the hallway cleared, I made it to the Hawks’ locker room. Slipping in, I found Howard standing off to the side watching over the commotion of the press talking to players. I nudged him and gave him a smile, “Good game tonight.”

Howard smiled, “Indeed it was. You have some troubles coming down?”

I shrugged, “I got held up by some Saber equipment managers.”

“Get any good pics of our boys?”

I smiled wide, “Only the best.”

“That’s my girl.”

I smiled and moved around the room taking candid shots. Adam stopped me to invite me to a victory dinner, “We won’t be out long because of the drive to Detroit tomorrow, but we do like to do something after every win.”

I laughed, “So I’ve noticed.”

“So you gonna come?”

I nodded, “Sure. Where is it?”

Adam shook his head, “Sharpy and I can pick you up.”

“I can drive myself,” I said, “Don’t waste the gas.”

“Nah, it’s no problem,” Adam smiled, “We kind of like being your chaufer.”

“But-”

Adam put his finger against my lips and I frowned because it was sweaty. Adam looked at me sternly and said, “We’ll pick you up.”

I pulled away and said, “Your finger is gross.”

Adam bounced his eyebrows, “You have no idea.”

I gagged at him then turned away. Kris Versteeg stepped forward dressed and ready to leave. He gave me a smile, “You coming to the dinner?”

“You bet.”

“Great! Do you need a ride?”

“Adam and Sharp have that covered.”

He nodded, “Well, how about I take you home.”

I laughed, “Sure.”

Kris smiled and bid me goodbye. I walked around the room and continued snapping some shots, stopping at Toews. He gave me a smile as he put on his hat. “How did that first shot turn out?”

Flipping through my camera I found it and laughed, “Not at all.” I showed him the shot. Looking over my shoulder and he let out a laugh, “Well that’s what you get when you catch me off guard.” He said. Turning to him I smiled, “Where would I find my fun then?” He gave me a playful shove, and I gave one back. Rounding back to Howard, I bade him goodbye and left for my car. I opened the passenger side door and placed all of my equipment on the seat then I slammed it shut. A whistle came from behind me causing me to jump. Turning around, I found Ryan Miller walking towards me.

Smiling I said, “I don’t respond well to whistles.”

He gave a short laugh, “Well, I don’t know your name.”

“A simple hey, would have done it.”

Coming to a stop in front of me he gave me a smile, “Hey.”

I flashed him a grin of my own, “Hey.”

“Did you get my message?”

Reaching into my back pocket I pulled out his photograph, “Um… yeah. Sorry, again about running into you.”

He shrugged, “I caught myself.”

I gave him a sly smile, “Touch loss.”

He hissed, “Yeah… not really the first impression I wanted to give tonight.”

It was my turn to shrug, “Chicago knows who you are.”

“I um… wasn’t talking about Chicago.”

I smiled as a blush tinted my cheeks. Stepping forward, Ryan reached out and took the photo from me, his fingers grazing mine for a moment. Opening it, he took out a sharpie marker and wrote something down. Folding it back up, he smiled and handed it back to me. “What’s your name?”

“Kaycie.”

“Well Kaycie… it’s very nice to meet you.”

Looking behind him I said, “Your team is waiting for you.”

He smiled, “Then I guess I’ll see you later.”

Returning his smile, I said, “Maybe.”

Walking away he took a moment to turn back and say, “Please use that.” He pointed to the photo in my hand and he gave one more smile before jobbing to the bus. I opened the folded photo and smiled to myself at the sight of his phone number. Looking up I saw him smile at me before disappearing onto the bus. I watched as it drove past, before folding the photo back up and getting into my car. Pulling out of the parking lot, I drove through the streets of Chicago going home to change. I walked up the stairs to my floor and entered my apartment, changing out of my United Center polo and into a bejeweled Blackhawks shirt. I pulled my hair down from the pony tail and ran a brush through it, sighing in the mirror as I watched it fall with the kink from the band. Pulling in back up, I instead went to touch up my makeup. When I finished my eye makeup, I heard the buzzer of my doorbell. Smiling, I left my apartment and skipped down the stairs, spotting Adam outside my building. Opening the door I went to greet him, but instead he blurted out, “You take the stairs?”

I let out a short laugh, “Yeah… it’s healthy.”

“Says the girl who eats McDonalds.”

I frowned at him and gave him a playful shove. I followed him to his car and got in the back seat. I caught Patrick’s eye in the side view mirror and gave him a smile, “Hey, Sharpy. Good game tonight.”

“Thanks,” he said with a nod.

“I’m liking the shirt,” said Adam, “The bling is nice.”

I laughed, “Thank you. My mother got it for me when I graduated college.”

“What was your major?”

“I graduated with a double major in English and Graphic Design with two minors in Film Studies and Medieval Studies. I then went on to get a master’s degree in Graphic Design.”

Adam gawked at me in the rear view mirror while he was stopped at a red light. Patrick was looking at me too through the side view mirror. Finally Adam said, “So um… are you like… super smart or something?”

I laughed and shrugged, “I mean, I can’t tell you a thing about engeneering or quantum physics.”

“What is your favorite book?”

Beowulf.”

Adam scoffed, “No one’s favorite book is Beowulf.”

I gave a smile, “Mine is.”

“But why?”

I shrugged, “It’s a beautiful example of how literature reflected the art and culture of the Anglo-Saxons. The way the narrative weaves in and out with the mythology, it’s just like a Celtic knot, which was a common iconography at the time, and still is. It’s just a wonderful text.”

Adam and Patrick exchanged a look, then Adam said, “You sound like a nerd.”

I laughed and playfully slapped his arm, “Thanks Mr Jock-Man.”

We arrived at the restaurant which was an Asian/American fusion kind of place. We were led to a private room where a long table was set up for those who wanted to come. I was called over by Kelly and Amanda and offered a seat between Kris Versteeg and Sasha. Adam sat across from Sasha leaving Patrick a few seats further down by Sopel and Frasier. I gave Kris a smile as I took a seat next to him. I greeted Sasha with a hug, not having seen her in a few days. The waiter came over and took drink orders. She ordered a martini, but I opted for a beer. Kris handed me a menu and I thanked him.

“God everything looks so good,” I said.

“Everything here is good.” He replied.

“You guys eat here often?”

He shrugged, “At least five times a season.”

I smiled, “Well, what’s good?”

“I really like all of the chicken dishes, the Korean BBQ is really good, and then there’s all of the seafood dishes as well.”

“Good lord,” I said, “I could eat my way through this whole menu.”

“Wanna get a few dishes each and then share them?”

“Oh my God, Kris Versteeg, would you really do that with me?” I used a dramatic accent to let him know I was teasing him.

“Yes I would, ma’am.”

“Then let’s do it!”

I smiled, “You like Asian cuisine?”

“Oh yeah,” he said, “I love it.”

“I do too.”

“What are you two whispering about,” Kelly asked, she gave a sly smile, “Secrets secrets are no fun.”

I laughed, “We’re working out our plan of attack on the menu.”

Kelly’s smile widened, “If that’s what you say.”

I looked at Kris and felt a blush glow on my cheeks. Thankfully the waiter came by and distracted everyone by asking what we wanted to eat. After our orders were placed, Adam told everyone what he found out about me. “Kaycie is a genius!”

“What?” Sasha turned to me, “What is he talking about?”

“She has like… fifty degrees.”

“I have two.” I said, “English and Graphic Design.”

“Where did you graduate from?” Kris asked.

“Madison.”

“Hey, I went there,” Adam said.

I nodded, “I know. I’ve been watching you play hockey for a long time, Mr Burish.”

“Why didn’t we hang out?”

“Because I was a freshman and you were an upper classman.”

He laughed, “Yeah… I wouldn’t have paid you any mind.”

I nodded, “Yup.”

“Are you from Wisconsin?” Kris asked.

“Nope. I’m actually from a few hours south of here.”

“Is Wisconsin where you figure-”

I nudged Kris, stopping him from saying anything else. Patrick looked down the table straining to hear, but I wasn’t going to let him figure out my secret just yet. I gave him a sly smile and said, “No. I was doing that long before I went to college.”

Amanda frowned, “Doing what?”

I smiled, “It’s um… a secret. I have this talent that I’m saving for a rainy day.”

“Another bribe?” Amanda asked.

I nodded.

“I hope I’m here for that one.” She gave me a wink.

The rest of dinner was spent talking to both Kris and Sasha, getting to know both of them. By the time it was over, Sasha had my phone number, and so did Kris. Getting up to leave, I linked arms with Kris and he led me outside to his car. Getting in, he pulled out of the parking garage. On the drive home I learned that he was from Alberta, which was basically the Illinois of Canada. His family still lived there, and he visited every summer during the off season. He didn’t have a house up there just yet, but had a modest house in a suburb of Chicago. His parents were a little upset by that his first house wasn’t in Alberta, but they too came down for a few weeks to visit.

When Kris pulled into my apartment parking lot, and parked his car. Turning to me he smiled and said, “I really enjoyed talking with you tonight.”

Returning the smile, I said, “Me too.”

“Would you… like to do it again?”

“Talk?”

“No um… getting to know each other better.”

I frowned, “I don’t know, Kris-”

“We could just hang out,” he said quickly, “Nothing too serious or anything.”

I looked at him, “Um… yeah. That would be… be good. Just hanging out.”

He smiled, “Yeah?”

I returned the smile, “Yeah.”

“Great.”

I smiled again and opened the car door. Turning to him I said, “Goodnight, Kris.”

“Goodnight, Kayice.”

Closing his car door, I walked into my building, then up the stairs to my apartment. I got ready for bed, and gratefully sank beneath my covers, falling asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah... cliffhangers aren't my forte.... Although I do try.
Guess what's going to happen!
(You'll never be able to!)

Comments are awesome...oh! Comment about what you think will happen! Yeah!
It'll be cute! You comment about what you think will happen, and then let others comment about what they think will happen and, oh.... Adorable.

UPDATE 10/2017: I'm attempting to edit and rewrite this story. So if you're a new reader and notice a sudden shift in narration or continuity, please be warned. It'll get fixed. Thank you.