Choose Your Own Family

Vampire

I kept reading over the note and didn’t know what to think. It was nice that he told us what to do to feel better but the last part creep me out. Well there’s nothing I can do about it now. I rode off the video store and parked by bike near the railing. I was kind of hoping that the Lost Boys would be in there but they weren’t. Max wasn’t there either. Instead it was mother at the counter and Maria at the register. Mother noticed me and smiled. I walked towards her with a small smile on my face.

“Hey mother. Michael told me that you were going out with Max tonight.” I ask her trying to start a small conversation.

“Yeah I am. He’s really sweet and I really like him.” she said smiling and looking down a little embarrassed.

“Well I don't know if Mike and Sam like him but I know I do. Were is he?” I ask her looking around the store.

“He works the night shift. Except for tonight the store will be closed.”

“O alright. Hey I also wanted to mention that Sam is piss that you made Mike baby sit him.” I said remembering why I wanted to talk to mother.

“Well yeah I know he’s old enough to be by himself. But I still wanted to make sure he was safe. Since grandpa won't be there tonight because he also has a date with the widow Johnson.” She said that with her eyes rolling a little.

“Well I’m gonna talk to Maria now.” I said smiling and walking towards Maria. She noticed me and smiled.

“Hey what’s up?” she ask me.

“A hang over. I wanted to hang out with you yesterday but I got a little side tracked.” I said to her.

“Well what you do?” she asks a little interested.

“You know those guys that always come into this store.” I whispered to her.

“Yeah what about them? Did they hurt you?” she whispered back worried.

“No the exact opposite. There actually pretty cool, Michael and I hanged out with them.” I told her and I stop whispering.

“Rose you shouldn’t be hanging out with them. Usually people who hang out with them wind up missing. There use to be a cop on the boardwalk that made sure everything was okay, you know no trouble and when he told the Lost Boys to get off the boardwalk because they were messing with another gang, that cop was never seen again. If you don’t believe me you can check the missing person flyers.” She said with an angry face on.

“Well usually gangs fight with other gangs and get mad at cops if they bother them.” I said back to her with a harsh, sarcastic tone.

“Well yeah but I think they killed him. Your hanging out with murder’s then.” She said trying to convince me to not hang out with them.

“You know you can be over reacting. Besides why should I care if they killed someone? I didn’t know that guy.” I said with harshness in my voice. “When do you get off? We can check out the boardwalk if you want?” I said to her trying to change the subject.

“I’ll hang out with you during the morning when I don’t have work. But I don’t go out at night unless I have to work. It’s not safe to go out at night here.” She said going back to her register.

“Well then call me sometime when you’re free to hang out. Here’s my number.” I said writing down my number on a piece of paper. I handed it to her. “I’m gonna sit here for a while, I feel like I really need it.”

I walked away from her and sat in one of the chairs in the store. I was looking threw my purse and I decided to read that Vampire comic I got at the store. I wasn’t a real fan of comic books but I did think vampires we kind of cool. I started to open it and I thought it would tell a story of a vampire killing a girl but instead it was just a bunch of writing. With no pictures or anything. I started reading it and it was about what vampires usually did. They always came out at night since the sun kills them. It also said that vampires don’t travel alone and when they do, one of there members aren’t far away.

Vampires must drink human blood in order to live or the thirst will slowly kill them. It’s a rumor that vampires can survive on animal blood if they drink it. They will still remain half vampires but the animal blood won't last them for very long. Probably only a year, a year and a half if there lucky. Half vampires can turn back to human if the head vampire is killed. But once you’re a full vampire there is no going back. Vampires usually lure there pray by seducing them or pretending to be there friend. They also do this if they want you to be part of there pack. Humans can become a vampire if they drink a vampire’s blood or get bitten. Vampires also have there strengths and weakness. There strengths are being twice as strong as a human, being able to fly and being immortal. Some of them even have powers. Usually the strongest one has powers. Mostly visions, telepathic, or illusions. There weakness are the sun, extremely weak if they don’t feed, have no reflection in the mirror, and can easily be killed if a stake is shoved straight threw there heart.

Half vampires also have there weakness. There reflections are transparent and there strength is extremely weak. Mostly wanting to rest during the day and there finger nails grows longer then usual. Also a change in there attitude.

I decided to stop reading from there. I was starting to think of everything that’s happened since I met the lost boys. They only come out at night and Maria said that it’s dangerous to come at night here. The boys in the comic book store said there are vampires in Santa Carla and my reflection was barley visible when I looked into my mirror. I also did feel weak and wanted to rest. And Michael did see maggots and worms when we were at the cave because David must have the power to make illusions. And David handed us a red drink…… I’m a vampire.