Choose Your Own Family

Answers

I just kept staring forward at nothing. How can I be a vampire? Vampires aren’t real, but there’s no other explanation. I threw the comic in my bag and left the store. I didn’t bother to say goodbye to Maria and mother. I just wanted to sleep, no I needed to sleep. I could drive home but I was too tired. I would probably crash if I rode my bike. So I just decided to walk down to the beach. I sat down and I didn’t care if sand would cling to me. As I lay down to look up at the clouds, I slowly started to fall asleep.

I felt someone tap my shoulder a little hardly to wake me up and I woke up quickly realizing I feel asleep on the beach. As I sat up I looked at the person who woke me up and I was surprised to see it was Dwayne. He sat down next to me and he took off my sun glasses.

“Just checking if you looked like a raccoon.” He said smiling at me. He handed me my sunglasses. “But you did get some color. You’re lucky you don’t burn or you would look like a lobster.”

“I can't believe I feel asleep on the beach.” I said looking at the ocean.

“What were you doing here anyway?” he asks me a little interested.

“I was just dropping of my little brother Sam. I was just really tired and I knew I wouldn’t have the strength to drive back home.” I said standing up. “I feel a lot better now.” I said smiling at him.

He stood up as well and smiled at me. “That’s good. I was just gonna get something to eat and I saw you on the beach. I wanted to make sure you were okay.”

“Well thank you for doing so. I didn’t want someone to take all my stuff while I was sleeping. Where are the others? Don’t you guys usually travel as a pack?” I ask remembering that I wanted to ask them if they were vampires. But not look like a fool while I ask. So I guess I could find out another way.

“David had to talk to Max about something. Star and Laddie decided they didn’t want to go out tonight so they stayed at the cave. And I have no clue what Paul and Marko. Probably nothing good.” He said with a small smile.

“Yeah probably. Why is David talking to Max?” I ask very interested.

“Oh……I don’t really know. Probably…taking the heat for all of us for always going into his store and bothering him.” he said stumbling on some of his words as if he was thinking of what to say.

“But how can David talk to Max tonight if he’s on a date with my mother?” I ask starting to not trust what Dwayne was saying so much.

“Well that’s just what David told me. I don’t really ask a lot of questions. Just listen.” He replied quickly.

“What do you guys do that’s so bad? Because when I was in there with my mother that day all you guys did was walk around the store?”

“I guess we scare some of the customers.” He said smiling a little to himself.

“I guess. I’m going to see David, I’ll see you around.” I said waving goodbye to Dwayne.

He did the same and walk in the opposite direction away from me. I guess the first place to look for David is the Video store. As I was walking to the store I started to think about Dwayne. He seemed really nice and not as cocky as the other guys. I was kind of surprised that he talks. Then again he did say he mostly listens and doesn’t ask questions. As I was walking to the video store I saw it was closed. Just like Maria said it would be. No one there or not even around it for that matter. As I turned around to look somewhere else I saw David staring at me with no emotion on his face.

I gasp a little and then smiled at him. “You scared me.”

“Sorry. I guess I do that to a lot of people.” He said smiling at me and walking next to me. “What are you doing here?”

“Dwayne said you were here and I wanted to talk to you about some stuff. A lot of stuff actually.” I said walking towards the boardwalk while he was walking next to me.

“What’s on your mind?” he asks looking at me.

“Umm…..Oh yeah I noticed that Michael and I have earrings. Why did you give us them?” I ask remembering the first thing I thought was weird.

“Well the earning is sort of like our gang jacket. We all have one, even Star and Laddie.” He said never looking away from me.

“How come my earring is yours?”

“Well that’s a little hard to explain. You know Michael’s earring is also Star’s. So I guess what I’m trying to say is that you give your other earring to someone you like.” He said still looking at me.

I just looked to the ground a little embarrassed after he told me that. For once I didn’t have a snappy comeback or reply.

“I like you a lot Rose.” Said David now holding my hand.

I looked up from the ground and at David, smiling at him. “I like you too. However that letter you left me kind of creped me out.”

“Well I knew you and Mike wouldn’t be feeling well so I thought I should tell you to have a lot of sleep.”

“I wish I paid attention to that. Instead I feel asleep on the beach.” I said trying to hide my embarrassment. “It was worth it tho.” When I said that my voice changed and David noticed.

“What you mean?” he asked.

“I got a cool comic about vampires. I don’t really like comics but I liked that one. It explained a lot. Especially my reflection being different.” I said to David. He didn’t say anything and in my mind I was wondering two thoughts. Either they were vampires or I made him think I was completely nuts.

“I was planning on telling you and Michael tomorrow.” He said looking at the floor. “Did you tell Michael?”

“Not yet.” I said to him with an attitude as I let go of his hand. “How could you make us vampires, make me a vampire?! When you ask me to be part of your gang I said no, did you think I would say yes to being a vampire after I told you that?!” I said slightly shouting.

“Look when you said that you liked your family I understood that. That’s why I thought if I turned Michael then you could be with your family still.” He said trying to calm me down. “We can turn all of your family members if you want. Even your grandpa if you like him.”

“…..How do you know I’m staying with my grandfather?”

“The note said I would find you no matter where you are. I thought you were home but I only saw Michael and Sam. I got a good look at your grandpa before he left in his truck.” He said with a stern face on.

“Oh, well sorry then, I just think it’s weird since you always know stuff I never tell you.” I said.

As I said that David pulled my arm behind one of the boardwalks stores and slammed me against a wall. Not hard enough to hurt me but hard enough for me to be shocked and a little scared. As I kept staring into his eyes he slowly lowered to my neck and started to leave a bunch of kisses. He stopped and then bites into his wrist. I was confused as to why he did that but I couldn’t really ask since I really wanted to drink his blood.

“I’m going to bite you after you drink this. Then after you make your first kill you’ll be my childe and my mate.” He whispered to me and then went back to kissing my neck.

I didn’t really hear anything he was saying, all I wanted was his blood. So I drink his blood as he painfully bites my neck. As I kept drinking I wasn’t thinking of my actions until much later….