A-Girl

A-girl Chapter 2

Chapter 2

“Oh my gosh, are you serious?” I couldn’t contain my excitement. Adrenaline was pumping through my veins.
“Yeah! My Uncle knows thins guy, who dated this girl who didn’t want the tickets, so the guy gave them to my uncle, who gave the-”
“Ok, ok, I get it!” I cut her off. I couldn’t wait to go!
After school I raced home. I couldn’t wait to ask my parents! I bolted threw my door to see my mother lying on the couch, an ice pack on her forehead.
“Nana! Nana!” I cried calling her by the name I use to call her when I was little.
“What is it loves?” She said startled, holding the ice pack while sitting up.
I blurted out everything. Even about Mr. Delgado’s curly hair, (except the day-dream, and the grades.) Nana sat up, yawned and patted the pillow besides her. She motioned me to sit down and I obediently sat. She beckoned me closer and whispered,
“No.”
“No?” I mimicked.
“The answer lovely child, is no.”
“Why?” I whined. I wanted to shout, and scream, and shake out my hair.
“I don’t like that A-girl. Wearing short shirts that show off her shiny belly-button ring, and her hair!”
“What’s wrong with her hair?
“Its pink!” She exclaimed, leaning back a bit.
“I hope you know what you’ve done!” I shouted standing up.
“Tell me. Cause I don’t know.” She said proudly standing up next to me.
“You, you of all people should know that you’ve ruined my life!” I yelled, and with that I ran up stairs to my room.

Mrs. Green (Gilda’s mom)

As I child I’ve always been teased and bullied by everyone at my school. Even through college I would always be the big punch line at the end of a joke.
They weren’t even funny jokes, but I felt all eyes on me. Laughter always filled the air. The humiliation, the stress, and all that sorrow. I finally felt like I should die, but I couldn’t. I had to stop all the pain. From the day of graduation I made a pact.
I made a pact that was so important it made my bones burn hot thinking about it. I was going to protect the innocent. When I had my first child Gilda, I remembered my pact. I would show her that individuality is the key. I would teach her to be different. Individuality is important. Now when I walk among the crowded streets and see these “cliques” and popularity start to bubble, my blood turns cold. I hate, absolutely loathe the cliques in my child’s school.
Today my daughter and I had a fight. I wouldn’t let her go see the A-girl thing. That girl walking and singing horribly, hypnotizing the youth of America. I did not want my daughter to turn out like that. So I simply said,
“No.”
“No?” She said so surprised I almost changed my mind.
“The answer lovely child, is no.”
She questioned me further, so I told her how I felt. Although she said the worst thing ever, that made my heart fall in two:
“You, you of all people should know that you’ve ruined my life!”
I just stood there, as she ran away crying, my heart ripping itself up.
My husband Dick came into the room.
“Hun, I heard what she said, and you know she doesn’t mean it.”
“She does!” I wailed. I felt like a child. “I do all the weird hippy stuff so she will understand how I feel. I don’t want her to be the same as all those preppy freaks!” I shouted and I couldn’t control my tears.
I’ve always known that what I do freaked everyone out. Yet I wanted to show my daughter in a way that was cool when I was young.
“Honey, maybe you should cut it out. I mean, you made that pact when you were a hippy.” Dick said to me sitting down.
“No. I made a pact, and I’m going to keep it.” I stood up and walked into the kitchen, drying my tears. Dick followed me into the room, and massaged my shoulders.
“Did you tell her how you feel?” He asked.
“No,” I sobbed. I hugged him tightly, and cried even harder this was not the perfect life I had planned. Then again, whose life is perfect?

Gilda

I could hear mom sobbing, and dad comforting her with each tear. I hated it when she made me feel guilty. She’s never been normal. How would she know what I’m going through in school? I then decided to climb out the window.
As I did so, I slid down the roof, until I got to a place where I could sit. I started crying all over again. Tear, after tear, sob, after sob. I sounded just like my mother. The stars started to shimmer in the maroon sky.
Maybe they’re weeping for me. I thought, wiping my eyes.
I thought about all the people going to be at the concert. I thought about how Patty would feel, and how if I didn’t come, she’ll drag Harold along.
Patty is a good friend, better than my mom even.
No. I would not stand for this. I am going to the concert. And with that I climbed into my room, and locked the door.