Dust and Shades of Grey

number one.

“…On a lighter note,” the news reader said grimly, despite the ‘lighter note’. “A person has been found…alive.”
I looked at the TV eagerly, now this was lighter.
“The teen was found running through the streets of Seattle, hiding from the police, in the early hours of this morning. This picture was taken by a witness who recognised the youth, but is refusing to say anything to our reporters.”
A picture flashed up on screen and I recognised the dark hair and pale skin at once. A smile took over my whole face.
“WiL Francis,” I muttered.
“Sorry?” Chris, my brother, made me jump.
“That’s him,” I nodded toward the screen.
“Francis…” Chris muttered, trying to place a face with the name. “That little prat who was always getting you into trouble?”
I sighed, Chris didn’t like wiL very much, in fact, he loathed him.
“Yes, Chris, that one.”
“Ugh. Don’t you be hanging around with his lot again.”
“Oh, Chris, cut it out,” I fought, but the defeat was clear in my voice.
“I’m telling you, Rhianne, he’s bad for you!”
“I’ve hardly spoken to him in three years!”
“And we all know why that is…” Chris muttered, I don’t think I was meant to hear.
“Yeah, he’s been missing for a year,” I said this as if I was trying to explain to a three year old how the Universe was formed.
“And the other two?” Chris pressed on.
I fell silent after that.

I didn’t like the memories of those first two years. WiL had been expelled when he was fifteen – and I was fourteen. He’d been asking for it for months though; the smoking and drugs, the constant abuse, it was a wonder he made it to ninth grade.

It had all started when he was thirteen. He was in a band, and was happy. I was happy too. A couple of years previously, wiL had gone through a dark patch, drinking heavily, smoking, not the average depression for an eleven year old. After that, he began to play guitar and overcome it. I thought that was the end of it, but at thirteen, he quit the band to devote more time to his drugs. He didn’t quit guitar though, and I thought that that would pull him through it again, along with the help of his best friend, me.

I think, for those two years, the music had kept the monster inside of him dormant, but the temptation was too great and, eventually, it overpowered him.
I stuck by wiL for another two years, hoping to help him, but he just got worse. After he’d been expelled, he had even more time on his hands, and it was obvious what he spent it on. I’d argued and argued with him to stop, but he wouldn’t, so he broke off our friendship.

That was the last time I’d spoken to him properly, but when I found out that he’d gone missing, I was still as distraught as if he were still my best friend.

“Did I upset you? Insulting your little crush?” Chris asked. He made me realize I’d gone into a daze.
“Shove off, Chris,” I said, “I’m going to bed.”
I got up and made my way to my room – my house was all open plan, merging the kitchen, dining room, living room and hallway into one.

I reached the first door in the hallway and opened it.
“Don’t let – “ Too late. A huge, brown and white Burmese Mountain Dog puppy bounded out of my room and scrambled frantically across the smooth wooden floor, making loud scratching noises as her claws scraped across the wood in an attempt to stay upright. She skidded over the living room and leaped onto the couch with Chris.
“Oops,” I said sarcastically as I slipped into my room. Chris shouted me just before I could close the door.
“Rhianne! Get your dog under control!”
I rolled my eyes, but couldn’t hide the smirk as I saw my dog stood up on the couch, towering over my brother.
“Nana!” I called without very much effort. Nana looked at me for a second and then continued to lick Chris’ ear. “Sorry,” I shrugged and closed the door, silently laughing to myself.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is an old story from my Quizilla account. Hope you like it. Feedback would be very lovely. (: