Dust and Shades of Grey

number ten.

I almost ran to school; I was desperate to quiz wiL about Deryk.
“Rhianne!” Molly shouted happily as I entered the school yard.
“Hey Molly,” I said, craning my neck over the heads of the students, looking for wiL.
“Who’re you looking for?” Molly asked suspiciously.
I looked at her innocently. “No-one.”
“Sure…”

I was about to roll my eyes at her when I saw wiL disappear into the science block. “I…gotta go,” I said as I dashed past her.
“Rhianne?” Molly said, hurt, but I was too far away to answer her.

I darted into the building and found wiL standing at the other end of the hallway, talking to Mr Porter, the biology teacher. Mr Porter turned and walked back towards the door. “Good morning, Miss Collins.” WiL turned around and looked at me, a smile appearing on his face.
“Good morning sir,” I replied breathlessly. The teacher smiled and walked away as I looked back towards wiL.
“Are you following me?” He asked, still smiling.
“No,” I lied, “I wanted to walk to you.”
“Oh?” WiL said as he took his first step towards me.
“About Deryk,” I continued.
“Oh.” He dropped the curious tone.
“I saw him on the news this morning.” WiL nodded. “And I” – I stuttered as the awkwardness washed over me – “I wanted to know if that’s how you knew him and…why you hate him.”
WiL nodded again seriously. “Yes that’s how I know him.”
“And…”
“You know why I hate him.” My mind flashed back to what wiL had said to me when he’d walked me home and I nodded. “Anything else you want to know?”
I nodded again. “How did Deryk know my name last night?” I repeated the question I’d asked earlier.
WiL laughed silently. “You’re never going to give up, are you?” I shook my head. “I can’t tell you.”
“Why?” I demanded. WiL stayed silent. “WiL?”
“Just forget about it, Rhianne,” he said as he walked past me.
“Don’t walk away from me!”
“I need to get to class…”
I frowned just as the first bell rang and followed him, reluctantly.

We managed to get to class just on time. Mr Davids walked into the classroom after us. I took my seat as usual and waited for class to start. As soon as the teacher had said his usual hello and the class had replied miserably, I tore a page from the book in front of me and began to write.

Why won’t you tell me what’s going on, wiL?

I scrunched the paper up into a ball and threw it at wiL’s leg.
“I hope you’re going to pick that up, Miss McMillan,” Davids said as he flicked through a book. Why do all teachers refused to use my first name?
“Yes sir,” I said, standing up. I walked over to wiL’s desk and picked up the note. “Read it,” I hissed as I pressed it into wiL’s hand. He frowned but took it. I returned to my seat just in time for wiL to throw the paper back to me. That was quick.

It’s dangerous.

I growled under my breath.

I DON’T CARE!!

I threw the note back and glared at him. I thought I saw him wince.

I won’t get you involved!

I growled again.

Why?!

WiL frowned.

It’s too dangerous.

I exhaled irritably and shoved the note in my bag. I heard wiL sighed as well, but I didn’t look at him.

The rest of the lesson flew by. I didn’t learn anything, as usual. When the bell rang, I rushed out of the classroom so that wiL didn’t even get a chance to talk to me. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him sigh heavily.

The rest of the day was as uneventful as usual. I spent most of lunch avoiding wiL, but as a result, avoiding everyone else too. I would probably get an earful from Molly when I got home.

When the final bell rang, I was glad to be free. I bounded out of the gates and half skipped down the road towards the park. When I neared the park gates, I stopped and sighed irritably. WiL was hovering at the entrance. I rolled my eyes, looks like I’m going to have to take a detour for the next few days while I let my anger die down.

I cursed wiL for living in the park - I hated walking down the back alleys; they were dark and smelled funny. Every time I saw a shadow or someone spoke I would jump; alleys did nothing for your, or at least my, nerves. I looked around me as I heard footsteps. As the footsteps drew nearer, by heart beat faster. Ugh, I really did hate walking home this way, look what it was doing to me!
“You really shouldn’t walk alone, Rhianne.”
Shittt.
♠ ♠ ♠
Haha. Comments and subscriptions? [: