Dust and Shades of Grey

number two.

I flopped down onto my bed after being careful not to stand on any of the junk scattered around the floor.

The room was dark and I could hardly see my ceiling as I looked up from where my head rested on the scrunched up quilt – I never made my bed, I didn’t see the point, after all, it was only Chris and myself who saw the mess.
My friends didn’t come and visit anymore, they just felt awkward. But I guess I couldn’t blame them; the change the household had suffered was drastic.
A few months ago, my parents went on vacation to Greece, they never came back. I knew that they were still alive, but they hadn’t contacted home since the day they were due to return.

I let my eyes flutter shut whilst thinking about how comfortable I was, lying on the cloud like quilt in my cosy room. The next thing I knew, the light was hitting my face, shining through my eyelids so that it looked like someone had draped a deep pink cloth over my face.
I opened my eyes slowly, hoping the light wouldn’t dazzle me.
It was a very bright day for Seattle. Sure, the sun wasn’t actually shining, but the clouds that blanketed the sky were a dazzling white and didn’t look like they held any rain.
I stared out of the window for a moment and realized I’d fallen asleep with my curtains open again.
The weather looked cold and damp, again. I sighed and looked away from the window to look at my clock; eight – fifteen, damnit! School started in fifteen minutes!
I quickly ran over to the mirror, refraining from looking at my reflection for too long (it would only get me depressed).

I’d never had very high self-esteem, even though – and I couldn’t argue here – I wasn’t ‘ugly’, but neither was I even remotely pretty.
I had dark grey eyes, pale, flawless skin and red hair that hadn’t changed in years.

I pulled a brush through my hopelessly straight hair and then darted into the bathroom. I turned the tap on and splashed my face with water and soap. The soap ran into my eyes, making them sting. I rinsed my face and grabbed my toothbrush, brushing my teeth violently in a hope that they would clean faster, but only achieving bleeding gums and a numb mouth.

Once my bathroom routine was done, I sprinted back into my bedroom - kicking junk everywhere - and began pulling things out of my wardrobe. I slipped into the clothes.
As I pulled my fading, black tee, – the one that once said Nirvana in bold, white letters – Chris shouted through my door.
“Rhianne? It’s twenty-five past, you’re going to be late!”
“I know!” I called back, grabbing the school bag that hadn’t been touched for the whole of the summer and heading to the door.
“Breakfast?” Chris asked as I entered the hallway/living room/kitchen.
“Chris, you’ve said it yourself! I. Don’t. Have. Time.” And besides that, you’ll only continue the argument from last night...
He shrugged and I waved him goodbye, running out of the front door as fast as I could: if my lateness was to be questioned, today would be the day.

“Hey, Rhianne!” My friend, Molly, waved at me.
“Hey Molly,” I said, a little breathless.
“I thought you weren’t coming,” she said, just as the school bell rang.
“I overslept,” I admitted, Molly laughed at me.
I looked at the piece of paper in her hand and slapped my forehead.
“Shoot!” I said, and then quickly explained when Molly gave me a quizzical look, “I need my schedule!” Looks like I was going to be late after all…

I said a quick goodbye to my friend and ran to the front desk.
As I arrived, a boy dressed all in black stalked past me in the opposite direction. I paid him no more attention than that.
I steadied my breathing and walked towards the desk.
“Can I have me schedule, please?” I asked the dotty old woman behind a pile of papers, “Rhianne McMillan.”
The woman nodded and shuffled through some papers with a sticky note on the top saying “Seniors”.
She slid out a piece of paper and handed it to me.
“Thanks,” I said and turned to run out of the door.
I looked at Monday’s first and second period and groaned; double physics, lucky me.
I looked up from my schedule and darted towards building two.
♠ ♠ ♠
Second chapter. Hope you liked it. (: