Dust and Shades of Grey

number twenty-nine.

Snow had started to lay on the wasteland before us. We'd taken shelter under a rusty piece of corrugated metal. We were safe from the snow, but the sub-zero temperatures had reduced Rhianne to a shivering ball of jackets and blankets. I tried to stay as far away from her as possible, my body temperature along with the weather would probably finish her off. Neither of us spoke much; Rhianne couldn't as her teeth were chattering too loudly and her voice was hoarse. I'd told her about my plan and, although she wasn't pleased, she knew it was the only way.

It was dark now, but the stars were nowhere to be seen. The sky was inky black with grey clouds illuminated by the city lights. I sighed, wishing I was back home and everything was normal. I kept turning the escape plan over and over in my head, trying to find faults. Many had cropped up: who would protect Rhianne when I was gone? Where would she go? What if Deryk follows her and not me? It was clear that my plan wasn't fool proof, but it was the best I could come up with.

"We better go," Rhianne said in a high, raspy voice. I nodded and took off the last jacket I owned - exposing my pure white arms - and placed it around Rhianne's shoulders. She took it gladly and we both stood up. We would have a quick walk to the main street and then we would part ways. By a stroke of insane luck, we'd managed to find some money lying around which would be used by Rhianne to get a bus as far as she possibly could out of the city. I would then head back into the city, looking for Deryk. If I survived, I would look for Rhianne in two weeks. Nana was absent from the plan, as was Chris. Rhianne understood why; I couldn't risk her life to save two minor characters.

We trampled through the snow silently, dreading what we were about to do. I wanted to comfort Rhianne, who I could see was sobbing silently to herself, but I didn't know what to say. She was crying because of me, and the only way I could make her stop would be to call the whole thing off and risk getting the both of us killed.
"WiL?" Her quiet, shaky voice said. I looked at her. "Please say something."
I hesitated before I spoke. "I...love you, Rhianne, don't you ever forget that."
She gave me a weak smile and then collapsed to the floor, trembling and making loud sobbing noises. I knelt down beside her, fighting back the urge to cry myself. Pulling her into my chest, I said, "hey, come on. Be brave -" she continued to cry "- for me?" She looked up and bit down on her lip hard. The noises of her crying stopped, but, although she was doing her best to hide it, I could see her still trembling with grief. She got up slowly with my support and we were on our slow way again.

The noises of the street came all too soon and, before either of us were ready, we were emerging onto a dull, concrete road, lightly dusted with snow. I turned to Rhianne who I could see was about to cry again and pursed my own lips to stop them from trembling, then said, pulling her into a hug, "I love you so much."
A mumbled sound came from my chest, which sounded like 'I love you too'. I pulled her away and looked straight into her eyes. "This might not be the end yet, you know?" Rhianne nodded and I let my hands drop from her arms. "Now go. I don't want to hear of you 'round here anymore." She hesitated before pulling me back and giving me a long, slow kiss. I saw her tearful eyes one last time before she turned and dragged her feet up the street. Part of me wanted to run after her, but I couldn't, it was time to face Deryk.
♠ ♠ ♠
Almost finished! After about two years of writing...
I'll be sad to see the end.