Status: This story is under revisions (grammatically).

Living on Perfectly Remembered Memories

Hellos And Farewells

Franchesa

I walked out of photography extremely bummed out I couldn't apply for the summer program at Golden West College for photography. Mr. Patten said it was only for juniors and seniors, and that I didn't fit into any of those two choices. I know he can tweak the requirements just a little for me. I'm his best student and this program could really benefit me! Ugh, not fair at all.

Aggravation blinded me so that I didn't notice Rafael call my name. He caught my attention by touching my shoulder. I stopped in my footsteps, curling my hands into a fist. I was this close to punching him but he caught my fist in his large hand.

"Is everything all right?" he asked, still clutching my fist in his hand. I tore my hand away from his and continued to walk away.

"Franchesa, talk to me. If you keep your anger bottled inside, you will eventually burst," he continued.

I sighed and bit my lip. "I wanted to get into this summer program but I'm too young to," I said.

"Oh. Then that is one thing you may be furious about."

"You think?" I snapped.

"Do you need time alone?"

"Yes, but you want to tell me something so just say it already."

"How did you know?"

"You look anxious." He looked anxious and he was cracking his knuckles every few seconds because his hands seemed to twitch irregularly. Matt did that when he was nervous and itching to ask me something.

"Oh. Okay. I wanted to give you an invitation to my home Sunday. I will be turning 16 then."

"Oh your birthday!"

"Yes..."

"That's cool. Are you having a big party?"

"Not particularly," he sighed. He looked out the window with a solemn expression.

"Is something wrong?" I asked, touching the back of his hand.

He smiled and turned back to me. "Not really. I have to go back to Spain for the summer. That is all."

"That isn't it. If it were, you wouldn't look so sad. Tell me what's up."

"If you insist," he huffed. "I will not be here for your birthday and I want to wish you a happy one."

He's lying. He may not be my best friend but I can tell when someone is lying through the skin of their teeth. I shrugged though. If he wanted to tell me he would, if not, then it won't happen.

"Oh that's okay," I giggled.

"It is not!" he argued. "But we cannot argue about this now. This is your Biology classroom. I will see you at Lunch Franchesa."

"Bye."

Our entire group arrived at Rafael's doorstep with bags in hand. We all decided to split into a male and female group to buy him presents. I didn't know what everyone else bought him, but I bought him a nice dress shirt. He didn't look like the type of guy who could pull off white but I had a feeling he would look very nice in it, so I bought him a white shirt. I hope he likes it.

We met a woman standing at the door once Josh rang the doorbell. She had wavy black hair and had a tanned complexion just like Rafael. She had that same gleam in her eyes as Rafael did; they are definitely related.

"Hello! You must be Rafael's friends! Please come in. He's in his room," she welcomed without an accent present.

We shuffled into the house in awe at all the paintings and statues in the rooms. He's rich isn't he?

"Hi everyone! We are going to stay in my room," Rafael said once he saw us standing at the door.

I followed him excitedly, while everyone else took their time, still looking at everything in his house. My mouth hung open once again when I walked into his room. It was huge! I could only estimate but it looked like it would fit two of mine.

Everyone else arrived in his room with the same expression on their faces as I did before. I had to help Rafael snap them out of it so they could wish him a happy birthday.

We spent hours doing what teenagers do best, eat and laugh. I'm happy that all of us get along with Rafael. I know that some students that transfer over to America from different countries tend to be very shy and don't talk much. It's lonely and sad once you think about it. Lucky Matt befriended Rafael so quickly.

"Franchesa he's gonna open our presents!" Jessica screamed and hit my arm extra hard. I hit her back, starting a slap fight until we were tired and bored.

We all piled our gifts in front of Rafael. I noticed that everyone's bags were the same size except for mine. What did they get him?

Each and every bag Rafael opened had the same thing: tennis balls. Really, six different people bought him tennis balls. They are just so creative!

I laughed, giving the birthday boy my present to him. "I promise it has nothing to do with tennis," I explained. He chuckled and pulled out the shirt. He smiled and looked at me. I think we have a keeper!

"Thank you Franchesa!" Rafael grinned and gave me a hug.

I patted his back. "No problem."

"Now it is time for your present!"

"What, wait?"

In the blink of an eye, Rafael appeared in front of me with a box in his hands. He placed it on my lap and urged me to open it. My hands shook as I opened the box carefully.

Everyone crowded around me, fighting to see the contents inside. My fingers touched the top of the item and I already knew what it was. I took the present out and heard them all gasp in surprise.

"I...cannot believe...you bought me a professional camera!" I squealed, tackling him down for a hug.

"You didn't have to do this," I whispered into his ear.

"I did so. I bought Matt an acoustic guitar as well."

I flashed Matt a glare for willingly taking an expensive present as that from him. He put his hands up in surrender. "He wouldn't let me give it back," he defended. I rolled my eyes; lie. He really wanted a guitar but I don't know for what.

After the dramatics of presents was over, it got dark out. We all knew that was our cue to go home or else the parental units would throw a fit and break pots and pans.

It was when we were steps out of Rafael's house that he blurted his dad is making him go back to Spain and he isn't sure if he'll come back. See, I knew something was wrong! That was when we rushed back into the house and screamed at him not to go. I thought I'd be the only one telling him to stay since I figured I was the only one that developed a good friendship with him, but hey, surprises are nice.

We were screaming so intensely that Rafael's mom screamed back at us to leave the house for being so rude and noisy. It took a lot to push us all out, and I do mean a lot. But before she threw us out the house, we made her son promise to call us whenever he can. He made a crossing motion against his chest with his finger and gave us a sorrowful smile.

I understand that foreign exchange students usually go back to their homeland after a year or so, but why do I feel so sad about him leaving? I guess it's partly because he became a really good friend of mine and I liked him. He's leaving, though, so any feelings I have will have to go away soon.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter came out longer than expected AND I had writer’s block for this particular chapter! Boo-yah! Not really. I couldn’t get out what I wanted to get out. Does that make sense? Anyways, just so you know, they’re at the start of their summer vacation now since I didn’t say they were in the chapter.