Status: This story is under revisions (grammatically).

Living on Perfectly Remembered Memories

Leaving Behind Silly High School Love

"My boyfriend comes back today! Isn't that amazing?" I laughed, jumping into the pool.

"I don't like you all hyper like this woman!" Jessica gasped, ducking as I made another cannonball.

I scoffed and flipped back my wet hair. "And why not?"

"Because," she squealed, "you're splashing me!"

"Suck it up! You have a pool for a reason! Learn to use it!"

I dove underwater, closing my eyes to block out the chlorine. Tomorrow I would officially be a senior. That's a fun and scary thought isn't it?

I'll graduate next June and go off to college. Come to think of it, I already have some college credits thanks to that photography program Mr. Patten approved me for. We're all growing up.

Running out of breath, I swam up to the water, gasping for much needed air. What surprised me was the sight of a second body was sitting next to Jessica.

The person—a male—had a white cap on his head and was extremely dark. When I mean dark, I mean DARK. It looked like one of those tans you can only get after going out into the sun everyday for a straight month.

Jessica was smiling as the person was talking with their hands to her. When she saw me get out of the cool water, her eyes bulged and she slapped the person's huge arm.

With my eyebrow raised, I walked towards the two of them and cleared my throat. The person turned around with a bewildered expression on their face. I could spot that face out anywhere.

"Rafael!" I gasped, the towel in my hand dropped to the ground.

"I'll leave you two alone," Jessica mumbled and snaked her way back into her house.

I stood in front of him, my mouth still open. He looked back at me, now taking off his cap. His hair had grown a lot. I don't think he cut it the whole three months he spent in New York.

He really had gotten darker. It was really weird! I was used to his caramel colored skin. Now he looked like milk chocolate. Chocolate...that's yummy! I giggled out of nowhere, causing a smile to break from his lips.

He stood up and wrapped his arms around my waist. I sighed happily and hugged him back. I missed his oddly warm touch and his gentleness.

Matt had somewhat filled the void Rafael left me with when he went to New York, but Matt's hugs were much different compared to Rafael's. Matt's hugs felt like he wanted to squeeze the life out of me. Sometimes they were nice, but bear hugs aren't always fun.

"Belleza, while I was in New York, I bought you something," Rafael sighed into my hair. I'm pretty sure he sniffed me too. "You smell wonderful," he continued.

I laid my left cheek against his chest, listening to his heartbeat. It was beating rapidly, making me giggle again. I loved how I had the effect on him.

"I smell like chlorine you know," I stated.

He shook his head. "No, you smell like Franchesa, my favorite scent."

In one quick motion, he pulled me down to the lawn chair Jessica had previously sat on. Each of his legs was on either side of the chair. My legs crossed as I sat down facing him.

There was a special eagerness in his eyes. They were practically twinkling. What did this boy have up his sleeve?

"While I was in New York, I found something that I believe you shall love," Rafael began, taking a box out of his pocket.

"You didn't..." I whispered.

"Shush and listen for now. I bought you this because I did some thinking while I had to mindlessly watch tennis matches I could not be a part of. I realized that I am very much so in love with you. I am not sure if you feel the same, but I do not care. You are going to be the woman I will marry one day.

"I know I make many mistakes and there will be things you will not be happy with me for. I wish it did not have to happen, but it does. This is why I want to give you this." He opened the box and showed me a silver ring with two hearts. I wanted to touch it but stopped myself. I shouldn't be rude right now.

He saw my hesitation and took my hand for me instead. He took the ring out from its socket and placed the ring on my index finger. It fit perfectly, surprising.

"Franchesa, this is a promise ring, not an engagement ring. That will come in time; I promise you that. That is besides the point though.

"This is a promise that I will do my best to keep you happy. Your happiness is the most important thing to me. I am deeply sorry in advance for anything I mess up with."

I sat there staring at him. Forget that the ring was freaking gorgeous; he just talked about marriage. He didn't say that he would maybe want to marry me one day. He stated he would. Holy crap, he's very serious about this.

I swallowed and smiled weakly, feeling very light headed. This was so much to understand in ten minutes.

To try to get a better feel on this, I brought my lips to Rafael's, melting at how soft they were. His lips were the only part of his body that didn't treat me with care. His lips were always fierce and almost demanding.

While kissing Rafael, I couldn't get something out of my mind. He apologized in advance for anything he does wrong. He's making it sound as though he knows he's going to mess up, almost as though it's inevitable. Why does that bother me so much?
♠ ♠ ♠
Promise Ring
Image

After this chapter, you'll notice there's going to be time lapses. Senior year is supposed to be, and I quote, "IMPORTANT" but to hell with that. I'm not going to post little filler chapters unless there's a reason for it.