Status: This story is under revisions (grammatically).

Living on Perfectly Remembered Memories

Camping Day One

"Before you all leave to do whatever you-Cody that before not be fireworks or I swear you're going to get expelled from school as soon as we get back."

"'Tano! Get back on track!" a few of the seniors I didn't talk to hollered.

Mr. Gaitano shook his head and smiled at us. I still couldn't believe he's only 25 years old. We usually never had teachers younger than 30 at Huntington High so it was a wonder that so many kids gave him respect. I don't know him personally since he isn't my Literature teacher, but I've heard the man is too awesome for his own good.

"Anyways, since it's already pretty late, you should all find a place to set your tents, preferably around this area so we can make sure you're safe. What else? Oh yeah, the recreation room where the cafeteria and showers are located to the right. You won't miss it; it's huge as hell. That's pretty much it. Have fun kids!"

All the seniors disbanded, walking around to find a place to set up for the night. I hoped we figured out where we wanted to sleep because it was getting much darker and that meant it would be harder to see.

Rafael held my hand as I slipped for the 35th time since we started walking. Everyone else snickered at me but Rafael held a thoughtful expression. I loved how he wasn't a jerk off like my friends.

"How far are we going?" Angel asked, looking behind her shoulder. I followed her gaze. We were pretty far from everyone.

Josh laughed. "Funny you should mention that, we're exactly where we want to be."

Angel's face turned red from embarrassment. Her face was almost as red as her fiery hair. Poor thing doesn't have Zacky around to defend her.

After we all built our tents and threw our bags haphazardly in our temporary shelters, the boys went out to get firewood. If I told you Matt was a boy scout for two months of his life, would you believe me? I wouldn't believe me either, but it did happen. His mom has a picture to prove it.

None of the girls believed me when I told them either. I'd have to show them the picture Matt has tried to burn millions of times. He is going to hate me by the end of senior year, I swear.

"The fire's ready!" Jimmy yelled from a distance away. It was a big fire and bright too. That beats having to carry this flashlight everywhere.

Matt and Rafael carried fallen logs and placed them around the fire so we could all sit around each other. I sat with Rafael, Leana with Jimmy, Jessica with Josh, and Angel with Matt. The last two people looked so lonely. Angel especially since everyone coupled up with their boyfriend or girlfriend except for her. I had never noticed how much she would miss Zacky if he were gone.

Matt being the sweetheart he was, wrapped an arm around her shoulder and gave her a sideways hug to cheer her up. I think that might've helped since she had a small smile on her face now.

After we all seemed to get into the camping mood, everyone took turns with our epic story we pulled out of thin air about a duck superhero with a coyote as its sidekick. Jimmy started the story off, so naturally, it had to be as extravagant as ever.

I knew I fell asleep before our story was over and I'm so angry with myself for drifting off! I wanted to hear the epic ending! I was finally able to bond with my best friends again and I had to fall asleep. I'm going to strangle the sandman.

The only reason why I knew I had fallen asleep was the sound of leaves breaking under shoes, the steady rhythm of me moving forward, and the warm arms carrying me. I didn't open my eyes, this felt too nice.

Instead, I snuggled closer against his neck and sighed happily. "Love you, Rafael," I whispered before falling asleep again.

Birds chirping outside the tent woke me up the next morning. I opened my eyes and stared at the ceiling of the tent. It was yellow. My tent's color is navy, not yellow.

I yawned; confusion hitting me first thing in the morning is not something I enjoy. I was even more confused when I finally noticed a pair of arms wrapped around me. The arms were very muscular and huge, but not tanned. They were very pale, actually. I turned my head slightly, having to crane my neck a little to see who it was.

Matt was sleeping peacefully, his mouth slightly open as very soft snores emitted from his mouth. His face was completely blank for once. Only his face though. His eyes always gave away his thoughts and emotions.

He might have felt me staring at him because his eyes opened slowly, a dull brown color. After a few seconds of blinking, his eyes shone to their hazel color they always were. He licked his lips and looked at me, smiling.

We both sat up, thankfully; my neck was cramping. I stretched my arms while he cracked his neck a few times.

"How come I'm in your tent?" I yawned.

He seemed confused until he remembered why. "Rafael went to play Manhunt after you fell asleep last night. I didn't want them to mess with you since you know they love to fuck with the girls every trip we go on."

He could've said the first sentence and ended it there but, "Okays."

After I pulled my hair into a ponytail, Matt and I got out of his tent. It was really sunny and warm today. That made me smile. I wish I brought my camera!

Matt reached for my hand, wanting to hold it, obviously. I complied and swung our arms back and forth, as we walked towards everyone else's tents. From the corner of my eye, I caught sight of Lisa, Matt's ex. She looked angry. Oh well, that's her fault for dumping him. If she still wants him, the idiot should've never broken up with him in the first place.

"Where are we going?" Matt asked.

"I have to go check up on Rafael," I said.

He looked disgusted and nodded. "See you later then," he said and walked in the other direction.

I slipped inside the tent to find him only in boxers, still asleep. I dug through my bag for a change of clothes since I still smelled like the campfire from last night. I got out of the tent as quiet as possible so he wouldn't wake up, and began my way towards the showers.