Status: This story is under revisions (grammatically).

Living on Perfectly Remembered Memories

Camping Day Two

Franchesa

I woke up at dawn, just when the sun rose high to the sky. I figured I could get a head start on a morning shower, breakfast, and then spending time with Rafael, friends, or both. Much to my surprise, when I walked into the recreation room, most of the tables had teachers and seniors alike, sitting, eating, and talking. I didn't think anyone would wake up this early. They are really taking this field trip to heart.

After taking a shower and towel drying my hair in the locker room, I walked back out, buying a bagel. I looked around to see if any of my best friends were here. I was almost positive they were all still sleeping; Rafael was.

Another surprise struck me. Josh was at a circular table, waving over to me. I smiled and sat down next to him.

I opened my mouth to give him a morning greeting but he beat me to it.

"I'm surprised you're not with Rafa," he said, taking a sip from his orange juice.

I tore a piece of the bagel and dipped it into the cream cheese before popping it into my mouth. "Why?" I asked.

"You're always together. It gets annoying."

"Oh. Sorry. I don't mean it to be like that but I'm in love you know?"

He nodded. "I'm in love with Jessica but I don't devote all my attention to her."

That was when my defensive mechanisms flared up. "You live with her so you can see her whenever. I can't with Rafael. He's constantly busy with tennis."

"That doesn't mean it's right he soaks up all your time," Josh stately softly, gripping his fork so his knuckles turned white. I had never seen Josh angry so this was unexpected. He turned his attention away from his food and looked at me. "If you haven't noticed, WE MISS YOU. I swear this trip is the only time you're not attached at the hip."

Biting the inside of my cheek so I wouldn't flip out on him, I retorted, "Yeah, I've been with Matt a lot."

"Si."

"And you're not bothered by that?" I asked skeptical.

"No," he shook his head. "He's your best friend and you went through a lotta drama."

"Josh you make no sense."

"Maybe. Anyways, just don't forget we're here."

"Promise I won't."

He gave me one last nod before picking up his tray, walking over to the trash, emptying the contents, and placing the tray on top of the can. I watched silently as he walked out the doors and jogged towards where the boys were playing football.

Huffing like a bull every few minutes, I chewed my bagel in thought. That's the second time someone has confronted me about a tear in my friendships with my best friends. I knew Matt didn't like Rafael too much, but Josh too now. I really want to know what's so wrong about Rafael that no one seems to like him. He's my boyfriend for goodness sakes! If they didn't like him, why did they wait a year to tell me?

When I was done with my breakfast, I threw the container of cream cheese away and walked out the cafeteria. In every direction I looked, people were playing some type of sport or doing something productive. To my left, Christian was playing guitar again for an audience. To my right, boys were playing football; Josh among one of the boys. In front of me, the boys and girls were playing co-op soccer. Rafael had the ball in possession right now. I was itching to go over and pull him away from his game so I could spend time with him.

Sighing, I walked past the football players and looked towards the lake. Mostly girls were there, swimming and enjoying the sunshine. I really wish I brought my camera out here. I would have too except for the fact Kenny made a bet with me. If for one week, I can stand not taking pictures, he's going to take me to the skate park. If for one week he didn't use his skateboard, I would take him to the skate park. Either way, this was a win-win situation for him. He's still too young to know of blackmail and I'd rather not corrupt him at such an early age.

From a distance, I saw Jessica, Leana, and Angel giggle as they sat benches near the water. I shook my head and made my way over to them. I seriously needed bonding time.