Status: This story is under revisions (grammatically).

Living on Perfectly Remembered Memories

Feeling A Bit...Foreign

Franchesa/b]

After wiping my hands on a towel that was previously placed on the table, I threw it into the hamper. The brightness blinded my eyes for a second before I could adjust to the harsh lights.

I walked back to my seat, ready to relax the rest of the period. Mr. Patten gave me a thumbs up for developing the photos taken at the semiformal and for not complaining about it. He's lucky I'm accepting all this work! There were originally supposed to be about 200 pictures but then someone had the stupid idea to announce that the Photography class would accept any pictures anyone took at the dance. The original 200 pictures, yeah, that multiplied to about 500 now.

Yawning, I grabbed my book, The Outsiders from my bag. I opened it to the last page I read before forgetting I had to go to sleep last night.

"Finally, between sobs, Johnny managed to gasp out his story. He had been hunting our football to practice a few kicks when a blue Mustang had pulled up beside the lot. There were four-"

"Hey Franchesa!"

I sighed, marking the page I just read. Why does this book have to be so sad but good at the same time? Somewhat like Ponyboy, I can never get a break.

I smiled at the girl sitting on top of my desk. Amelia's her name and she has the loudest personality ever. If you entered a class that she was in, you could immediately tell you were going to remember her. And her blond hair and blue eyes had nothing to do with it.

"Amelia, Amelia. What can I do for you today?" I mocked a British accent just like Mr. Cade does in my American Literature 1 class.

She laughed heartily at me, slapping my shoulder. For a girl, she hits hard! That hurt!

"Now that that's over," she gasped, sucking in a breath, "you and Matt were so cute together!"

"Hey you were at the dance and didn't say hi to me?" I asked, feeling a little hurt.

"Gosh Franchesa, you are so sensitive."

"So what if I am?" I spat.

"Whoa, calm down. I wasn't at the dance. I've seen pictures."

Immediately, I felt like a bitch. I should not have snapped at Amelia. She didn't do anything to me. All she's been is nice to me.

"I'm sorry," I apologized, looking at my feet.

"It's alright. Are you about to have your period?"

"Maybe."

"Then that explains it!"

I chuckled. I like how she can make me laugh without intending to. "That would explain it."

"So yeah, why aren't you Matt and together yet?"

"I wish I knew..." I mumbled.

I made it through a few more periods before the sweet bells of Lunch rang. I was overly happy to see that the ice cream line was empty. I power walked over there and bought myself a chocolate ice cream cone.

By the time I reached the table I usually sat at for Lunch, Josh and Jessica were already there. I waved hello to them while eating my ice cream cone.

Jessica grinned and pulled out the chair next to me, indicating for me to sit. I did so and soon wished I hadn't.

"Oh my gosh you and Matt were so cute together!"

"Why does everyone say that?" I grumbled, finishing the ice cream.

Josh frowned at me. "You two aren't dating?"

"No..." I trailed off.

I looked down at my hands. Why does everyone have an M shape on their palms? If I clenched my hands, the M wrinkled too. Some theorized that the M shape means married. And that those who are divorced get an L. How does that make any sense?

"Hey guys!"

I groaned. I didn't want to see him right now. I knew that I could have just avoided him by not going to Lunch but it's not right that I would have to go away from my friends because I didn't want to see one person. But right now, I needed to be on my own.

I stood up, walking past him without saying hi. I wasn't far from my friends before I felt a tug on my arm. I yanked my arm away from Matt and turned my whole body to scream at him.

"Hello."

"You aren't Matt," I mumbled.

"No I am not." Who is this guy? I've never seen him before and he has an accent. I couldn't point out which one it was but it was definitely foreign.

He was absolutely handsome. Cute, hot, or gorgeous couldn't describe his features. His skin was very tanned, his eyes a dark brown, his hair wavy and shoulder length, and his smile. His smile made me speechless. He didn't have Matt's dimples but still, so handsome.

Matt pulled me to his side so the both of us were facing the new stranger. "Franchesa, this is Rafael. Rafael, this is Franchesa. He's our foreign exchange student. She's my best friend." Thank you best friend for the introductions. Insert my happy face here. Really, no sarcasm here.

Rafael and I smiled at each other. I was transfixed in his eyes, I'm not so sure why he kept looking at me.

"May I give you something?" he asked with his accent laced in his words. I nodded feebly, not really listening to what he was saying.

He dug through his bag with a frustrated expression on his face before he pulled out a white carnation. He placed it in his palm, presenting it in front of me.

"You see," he smiled, "I have been looking for a beautiful girl to give my country's flower to."

"You're from Spain!" I pointed out and accepted the flower, holding it delicately in my hands.

That smile reappeared on his face. "I'm surprised you know that."

"Seventh grade history class. Why did you decide to give me your country's flower?"

"Well...I have not seen any beautiful girls until now."

I blushed deeply, looking down at my shoes. I heard Matt scoff from beside me but I was ignoring him right now. It felt wonderful for a handsome guy to compliment me. Oh damn, I need to think of something to say!

"I bet girls have talked to you though," I reasoned, my eyebrows arching a bit.

"That is true, other girls have talked to me. However they were too busy with the fact I am from Spain and they said something along the lines of, 'Oh my god, guys from Spain are so hot!' And like I said before, I have talked to girls, and yes, they are pretty, but I have yet to meet a beautiful girl until this very moment."

Bingo. I might have been trying to get him to say that I'm in the fact the beautiful girl. He was oblivious to my plan though and that's good. If he knew, this would be so embarrassing.

So, Rafael. A foreign exchange student from Spain that's now here in America. I think he needs a tour of Huntington Beach. I think he needs a tour very soon.