The Ballerina

Twenty Minutes with Daddy.

“You don’t have to do this, Ace.” Luke said as they sat in his truck.

“I know.” Acelynn replied. The truck’s engine was creating an obnoxious, loud noise that was disturbing her train of thought.

“No, I don’t think you do.”

Acelynn turned away from her house to look at the boy sitting next to her. “What are you talking about, Lucas? I know exactly what I’m doing. I choose to do this.”

Luke twisted his mouth in a look of disapproval. Acelynn, after their fight, decided to go to her home and collect her things. It had been a unanimous decision to bring the girl into the Spencer household, with or without Brian Spencer’s approval. Even Tuck had come out from his man-cave to take a vote. Acelynn suspected that Tuck wanted to do anything to get under his father’s skin.

Acelynn also thought that it would be awkward to see Tuck again. It wasn’t. Somehow, with Luke at her side, she could bury all of those hormonal feelings. It was like seeing the green-eyed man before. Mostly indifferent with a side of annoyance.

“Do you want me to come in with you?” Luke asked for the tenth time.

In truth, the girl would have felt so much safer and comforted with Luke at her side. But it would make things twice as awkward. Acelynn had already called her father to let him know she was coming to retrieve her things. He didn’t sound happy, but there was nothing he could really do. So he said “see you then” and hung up.

“No, I need to do this on my own.” Acelynn said quietly, and smiled at Luke’s beautiful blue eyes.

Luke nodded, understanding. “Okay.” Acelynn took a deep breath and nudged the red door open. It was extremely cold out, so she had to use her light jacket she had the night she ran away, and a hoodie Luke gave to her. It was black with some band logo on it, and reeked of cigarette smoke. “But if you’re not out in twenty minutes, I’m coming in.”

The brunette rolled her eyes. “Whatever.” She smiled weakly and shoved the car door closed. Sub-consciously, she held onto her injured wrist as she walked up the drive way to the front door. She didn’t know whether or not to knock or just walk in. After thinking it through, she decided to knock.

Acelynn looked back at Luke and his red truck sitting on the side of the street, watching her, and he gave her an encouraging smile. It was weak, but she took it.

“Hello, Acelynn. I’m so glad you’re okay.” Before she knew it, the small girl was embraced in her father’s arms. He was so warm. It made her feel so safe.

“Hi Daddy.” Acelynn replied and hugged Tom Adams back.

“Well come inside. Hurry – it’s so cold out.” He ushered her into the house. “Was that Luke out in his truck?”

“Um, yeah.” She replied and rubbed her hands together for warmth. “He drove me here.”

Tom nodded. “Good, good. He looks different from the last time I saw him.” He reminisced.

Acelynn remembered that every time Luke presented himself to her parents, he always dressed so nice and clean cut. He always wore these pastel dress shirts and new jeans. But today he wore a faded black t-shirt. “Uh, yeah, I guess so.”

Tom gave a weak smile. “So how are you, Kiddo? Are you eating well? Where are you staying?”

“I’m good.” She lied. “I’m eating well and I’m staying at Luke’s house. And Dad, you don’t have to worry. You act as if you haven’t seen me for years.” It was the truth – Tom Adams held on to each of Acelynn’s words as if it were gold. So rare and valuable. “What gives?”

The man grinned. It was a tired grin, but it also looked relieved. “No, Ace. It’s the first time I’ve seen you this alive in years.” Acelynn’s face turned red and she looked down at the floor. “I know you just think I’m your dad and everything, and I’m going to say what I’m going to say; but I only want what’s best for you. Whatever makes you happy. Well I can tell that not being in this house – not doing ballet! That’s what makes you happy.”

Acelynn swallowed. “Thank you, Daddy.” But she did not feel alive; instead she felt dead and awful. Could she have possibly looked more miserable before? Then she looked at her father and saw a happy glint in his eye. Obviously something had changed in her. “So how are you?”

“Oh, no no no. This is about you, my daughter. Come on; let’s go get your things.” Tom smiled and led the way to Acelynn’s room.

Somehow it was so easy to get along with her father. They both shared a mellow, relaxed personality. The only thing that kept Acelynn on edge was the mystery of where her mother was. It frightened her to know that at any moment, Dana Adams could pop out from nowhere and confront her.

“So is staying at the Spencer House okay? Are his parents nice?”

Acelynn was silent until they reached her room. It looked as if some tornado had whirled through and someone had attempted to put it back in place. “Uh, Luke and Tuck actually live alone. But their dad is coming back into town tomorrow.”

Tom looked unsure about the arrangement – his only daughter living with a boy, alone. “I see.” He didn’t seem to want to offend her or make her angry. “So who is this Tuck?”

“Um, Tuck is Luke’s older brother.” Acelynn forgot she had never talked about Tuck before – with good reason. “I guess he’s Luke’s legal guardian when their father is away. He’s like, twenty or something.” A lie; Tuck was nineteen and a half. His birthday was in June. But making Tuck seem older might help put Tom at ease about her living arrangements.

“Oh, okay.” Her father brightened. Acelynn guessed she was right, and having an older figure around made him feel better about his daughter. She made a mental note to never introduce her father to Tuck. “I’m sorry about your room. Your mother got a little… Well, I’m sorry.”

“Where is she anyway?” The small brunette dared to ask.

“… She went out for awhile. She’ll be home a little later.” Tom replied. Acelynn figured it was code for: “she didn’t want to see her failed ballerina project.”

“Okay.”

“So I got some boxes from the supermarket, and I brought some luggage up from the basement. What do you want to pack?” Tom clapped his hands and looked around.

Acelynn didn’t have many belongings. It was mostly just ballet clothes, regular clothes, some books, and nick knacks. “Well, I’m not sure yet.”

The brunette began to poke around her old room and pile things on her bed. The two silently worked together to gather her belongings in two medium sized boxes. She left the small TV, all of her Jr. High art work on the walls, ballet costumes, and some of the CD’s she borrowed from her father.

But Acelynn made sure she brought most of her clothes, her favorite Eeyore stuffed animal, her small book collection, CD’s she bought herself, a professional photograph of the Chicago skyline at night she bought two years ago, and a photo album of Acelynn and her father at baseball games. The two shared a passion for watching baseball whenever she wasn’t doing anything ballet related. The photo album had a twin, which Acelynn believed was in her father’s study.

Everything was all packed away except for some toiletries in the bathroom Acelynn didn’t have a chance to get yet. “I’ll be right back.” She said to her father as she headed to the bathroom with a small luggage bag.

“I’ll be here.” Tom replied, looking through Acelynn’s copy of the photo album, smiling.

As soon as she was out of the room, she ran straight to the bathroom. Once inside the light blue painted walls, she immediately darted for the towel cupboard. Inside, she dug out the bottom towel. Her heard raced as she tore it open and saw the contents.

It was as she suspected; dried blood was plastered all on the inside of the white towel, with the razor blade tucked in as well. Acelynn’s heart pounded. She stuffed the towel in her luggage bag to get it out of the house. Well, then she would have to figure out away to get rid of it when she was at Luke’s house. But that was another problem for another day.

Along with her toothbrush and favorite brand of toothpaste, she placed in the bag a can of hairspray, shampoo and conditioner, her round brush, a blow dryer, and deodorant. She zipped the bag and slung it on her shoulder as she opened the bathroom door.

“I’m all pa—“ Acelynn said, but was cut off by the startling sound of the doorbell. Tom looked up, confused. “It’s probably Luke. He said he would come in the house if I didn’t come back out in twenty minutes.”

Tom slowly nodded and put the album away. He gently folded the box up and picked it up from the ground. Acelynn picked up the second box filled with her clothes. They walked in step through the hallway and out to the entry way, where they could see the back of Luke’s head through the window.

With a little effort, Tom opened the front door without setting the box down. Luke turned around at looked at Acelynn in surprised. “Um, hello Mr. Adams.” He said politely.

“Hello Luke.” Tom gave a weak smile back.

“I can, uh, take that box for you Sir.” Luke offered.

“No, it’s fine. I have it.”

“Well, okay. You can stick it in the back of the truck – if that’s okay.” Luke stuttered.

“Whatever works.” Tom shrugged and slowly walked over to the rusting truck.

When Tom was out of ear shot, Luke whispered in Acelynn’s ear: “He’s being pretty cool about this whole thing.”

Acelynn nodded. “I know. I have no clue why.”

Luke shrugged and began to follow Tom to the truck. He had taken the box Acelynn carried with him and set it next to the other one in the back of the truck. The brunette followed her friend closely. She kept the small luggage bag to put in the truck with her so it wouldn’t fly away.

With great sadness, Tom sighed and embraced his daughter. He hugged her tight and with much love. Acelynn returned it. “I’ll miss you kiddo. Make sure you call a lot.”

“I will.” She promised. “I’ll miss you too.”

“I love you, princess.” He whispered and kissed her forehead.

“I love you too, Dad.” Tears began to fall down Acelynn’s cheeks. It was really happening. She was going to be free. “And thank you.”

“We’ll have to go to a baseball game one of these days.” Tom teased.

“Yeah, we will.” Acelynn laughed.

“Be good. I know that this is what you want. Don’t blow it.” He warned lightheartedly.

Tom Adams was letting his daughter go, even though he didn’t want to. He was doing the best he could for her, which meant letting her go. It broke Acelynn’s heart to know that she was breaking his.

She should tell him. She should tell her father that Dana was being unfaithful and get him out of that relationship. He needed to be leveraged from Dana’s awful grasp. But Tom was already losing his daughter, how could she possibly tear away his one love? How could she hurt him anymore?

So once again, Acelynn played the coward and stayed silent. But she made a promise to herself that she would tell Tom eventually. He would know what a horrible beast he had married.

“Goodbye Daddy.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I think this is an amazing come back from what I've been doing for awhile. Yay!
Anyway, so you know those stories that have the twins who are absolutely nothing alike? Well I used to think they were totally fake, right? But yesterday I saw these two twins Allison and Cameron; Allison is so happy and peppy all the time while Cameron is totally emo. It's so eerie.
I'm officially in love with the couple Dante and Lulu in General Hospital. <3
Comments please :P