The Ballerina

Home.

“Are you going to be okay?” Luke asked. It was the tenth time he had since they left Acelynn’s house.

“Yeah. I’m fine.” She replied quietly.

“You’ll see him again, you know.” He promised. “You will.”

Acelynn faced Luke and smiled. “I know.”

The blue eyed boy smiled back and then fell silent. The only thing making a sound was the loud roar of the truck’s old engine. They went the familiar way back down to Luke’s house. It wasn’t too far; a short ten minute drive. It gave Acelynn plenty of time to let her mind at ease and focus on nothing.

“So do you like yellow or red more?” Luke asked.

“What?”

“A canary yellow, or a pale red.” He clarified.

“I don’t know, for what?” Acelynn asked.

“A surprise. Just tell me in general; which one do you like better.” Luke smiled.

“Um, I guess red.” She shrugged and grinned at him. “What’s the big secret?”

“You’ll find out soon enough.” He glanced at Acelynn. “Have I told you how glad I am that you’re coming with me? Staying at my house.”

“Have I told you how awesome you are for letting me stay at your place?” She sighed.

Luke rolled his eyes. “You underestimate how much I enjoy your company. I’m lucky you’ll even grace me with your presence.”

“I think you’re exaggerating just a tad.” Acelynn elbowed him in the side.

“No, I don’t think so.” He said as he pulled into the drive way
.
Acelynn tackled the truck door open and quickly scampered out to get a cardboard box from the back. She waited for Luke to grab its twin and lead the way up to the door. With a little struggle, he opened the front door and held it open for Acelynn.

So slowly, with tenderness and slight hesitation, the former ballerina stepped into her new home.

Home.

Image

“So you said you liked red. This is your room.” There was a smile in Luke’s voice that made Acelynn grin herself.

“Whoa. It’s totally mind blowing Luke. Really, this is mine?” She asked in awe.

The room was large – at least twice as large as her old room. As Luke promised, the walls were a red, burgundy color. It held random, painted-on golden designs that made the place look fit for royalty. The bed was also twice as big as her old one, and on top of the mattress sat a fluffy white comforter. There were bookshelves all over the walls, filled to their maximum capacity. The windows facing west had white cloths covering them but still allowed a small amount of light to spill into the room
.
“Of course. If you’re going to love here, you need your own room, right?” Luke placed the box he was carrying and set it next to his feet. Acelynn mimicked his actions.

When she was no longer holding anything, she embraced her friend in a “thank you” hug.
“You’re my favorite person in the world. Did you know that?” Acelynn mumbled into Luke.

“I could say the same thing about you, Ace.” He hugged her back.

Yes, this was definitely home. Home was where you felt like you were safe from the world and only goodness could touch you. That was here. Acelynn felt so safe in Luke’s arms.

“Didn’t I tell you two to use a condom?” Tuck’s voice came from the door.

Slowly, Acelynn and Luke detached themselves from each other. Smiling softly, they greeted Tuck. “Acelynn’s officially moving in.” Luke said happily.

“And I thought the day would never come.” The older Spencer replied drily. “Finally, my mind can be at ease, without all the worrying of Acelynn moving into our house. I didn’t know if you’d make it alive or not.”

“Thanks, Tuck.” The girl gave him a small smile.

The green eyed man tried to remain indifferent but shrugging and not looking her in the eyes. But he squirmed uncomfortably as he crossed his arms across his chest. Acelynn grinned. Somehow, she felt a new found power in the ability to make Tuck uneasy.

“Let’s go Tuck.” Luke said to his brother as he pushed the taller Spencer out the door. “We’ll let you unpack in peace.”

“Well, alright.” She replied and began to open one of the boxes. She felt so alone without Luke there with her in the giant room, but she supposed that she had to get used to it. Luke wasn’t going to be there every second of the day to babysit and hold her. Of course his room was only a few footsteps away from her new one, which comforted her nerves.

Through the walls Acelynn could vaguely hear her blue eyed friend’s voice speaking to his brother. She smiled when she realized that that was the way it was going to be from then on; Luke was going to be there always and her mother never.

She pulled the box filled with clothes to the dresser and began to fill the drawers. In her old room she had a closet half filled with bath towels, beach things, laundry detergents, and the vacuum. It was so alien to have something totally to herself. Acelynn took her father’s advice and promised herself not to mess this up.

After her clothes were put away, she pulled open the other box. She put her CD’s and books on the bookshelves along with her photo album. She put Eeyore on the bed next her to pillows. Acelynn took the bloody towel between her mattresses to deal with later and took the rest of the small toiletry bag out of her room to find the bathroom.

“Done already?” Tuck asked when Acelynn appeared in the kitchen on her way to the bathroom. He was sitting at the kitchen island on a tall bar stool next to the youngest Spencer.

“Yeah. I don’t have a lot of stuff.” She replied in a small, nervous giggle.
“Well Jesus Christ, that only took you, like, ten minutes.” Tuck said after he looked at his wrist watch. It was shiny silver under the ceiling light. “It would have taken me at least a half hour to pack just my clothes.”

Blood had filled Acelynn’s cheeks at Tuck’s statement, and she looked down at the floor in embarrassment. Even before, she knew that next to the Spencer’s she was practically poor. But after what the older boy said she felt absolutely pathetic. Acelynn just smiled weakly and walked away. “I have to put this in the bathroom.” She said simply and disappeared.

When she was out of the room she heard a distinctive hand-to-arm slap and an “ouch!”

“Nice going, Tuck. Why don’t you just spit in her face and tell her to shine your shoes.” Luke snapped quietly. Acelynn knew it was bad to eavesdrop, but she couldn’t help but listen in on the conversation from the open bathroom as she put her belongings into place.

“What the hell did I do?” Tuck groaned.

“She’s a little sensitive about the whole money thing.” Luke explained in a hushed tone. “So could you just pull back?”

“Well how the fuck was I supposed to know?” The older Spencer countered. “You two don’t tell me anything. Ever.”

“You know now, so just back off would you?”

“Fine.” Tuck replied. He said it in an I’m –just-saying-‘fine’-to-get-you-off-my-back voice.

Acelynn could practically picture the two brother’s glaring at each other. Green eyes staring at blue ones; the same frowns as the same black hair collected in their face. But Tuck would be rubbing his arm just for the effect to show Luke that he wasn’t quiet forgiven for assaulting his elder brother.

The girl slowly walked back into the kitchen to see the boys – fulfilling her prophecy; glaring at each other, not even concerning Acelynn. She entered with a new found calmness and with a bright, fake smile on her face. After a moment – and at the very same time – the Spencer Brothers looked up at Acelynn. Their faces weren’t creased with frowns, like someone had drug a stick in the sand to make random designs, but smooth and calm.

“So I’m done packing.” Acelynn announced, and took a seat next to Luke. When she sat, the chair scooted a little closer to him and she could vaguely feel her friend’s body next to her. Making herself comfortable, she rested her arms on the counter, and then her chin on her arms.

“Super.” Tuck mumbled and then looked at his shoes that dangled close to the ground.

“So…” The brunette drawled and swung her own feet back and forth.

Luke looked at Acelynn and smiled. His smile was trouble free and totally focused on her – as if the argument about her with Tuck had never happened. Now Acelynn wondered how many fights had occurred between the two that she never knew about – how many there would be. “Yeah?”

“So what now?”