A Lesson Learnt

Chapter Ten

It felt strange for Mike to wake up with his arm wrapped around another person. He wasn't complaining though, he could definitely get used to waking up with someone as beautiful as Tiffany. She was still sleeping when he carefully climbed out of bed and headed downstairs.
No sooner had he gotten into the kitchen to make breakfast then the phone rang. Hurrying to it for fear of it disturbing Tiffany, he answered as quietly as he could.

"Daddy!" a little voice cried.

"Estelle! And how's my little angel?"

"I'm good daddy. What time can I come round today?"

'Shit,' Mike thought. He had forgotten that his little girl was coming to stay with him for a week.
"Uhh, I don't know sweetheart, what time do you want to come?"

"Now!"

"You can't come round now baby, I'm haven't got your room ready." Mike laughed at his daughter's eagerness. "How about you come over tonight so then we can go out to dinner?"

"But tonight is aaaaages away!"

"Remember what I told you Stella-good things come to those who wait---"

"Yeah but I've missed you daddy."

"I know baby I've missed you too." Mike stopped to think for a second. "I'll tell you what I'll meet you half way. How about you come round about three o' clock? It's in the middle of now and tonight."

"Yeah, yeah I like that. Can I go tell mommy?"

"Go on---" Mike heard her drop the phone and run off shouting to her mom. It was then that he heard a noise coming from the stairs. He looked to see the half asleep form of Tiffany. "Sorry if I've woke you," he whispered. "It's Estelle."

"You didn't wake me, its fine." She descended the stairs and kissed Mike's cheek when she reached the bottom.

"If you go in the kitchen there's some coffee."

"Thank you."

"Daddy, daddy, are you still there?"

"Yeah baby sorry. What did your mom say?"

"Mommy says that three is ok."

"Alright then my darling, I guess I better go and set your room up."

Estelle squealed. "I can't wait to see you Daddy! I'll see you later! Love you!"

"I love you more, hero."

Mike put the phone down and made his way into the kitchen laughing at his daughter's eagerness. He laughed even harder when he saw Tiffany slumped over the table, still trying to wake up.

"I'm not a morning person ok," she growled as she heard him laughing.

"Its a good thing I told Stella not to come round now, you'd frighten her!"

Tiffany playfully slapped his arm and went back to studying her coffee.

"Talking of Stella," Mike began again. "Do you want to meet her?"

Tiffany snapped her head up and threw a nervous stare at Mike. "A-are you serious?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"Because---she's always asking when I'm gonna get a girlfriend and now that I have one I want her to meet you."

"I-I'm your girlfriend?"

"Well you're not my boyfriend are you?"

"I-I just didn't think we were giving each other tags if you get my drift. I mean I'm still technically with John so it's not like we can be officially together."

"Are you saying you don't want to be my girlfriend?" Mike let out a high pitched cry. "You think I'm ugly don't you?!"

Tiffany slapped Mike's arm again as he started laughing again. "You know I'd love more than anything to be officially together with you but we can't really call ourselves anything until I end it with John."

Mike reached out and took hold of her hand. "Listen, don't worry yourself over it. I'll wait for you. Take as long as you need to make the right decision."

She smiled in gratitude and squeezed his hand.

A couple of hours later, they were sat in the living room, cuddled up, watching TV, when Mike heard a car pull up outside. "That'll be my hero," he pointed out as he stood and went to the front door. No sooner as he opened it than Estelle run and jumped into his arms, kissing his cheek furiously. "And hello to you too," he laughed. "Hey Ana."

Mike's ex-wife and mother of his child smiled in reply and handed him Estelle's bags. "She should have everything she needs," she pointed out. "Make sure she brushes her teeth before bedtime and don't let her drink lemonade after seven o' clock. And---"

"Ana---it's alright. I know what I'm doing. I AM her father believe it or not---"

"Yes---yes--I know. I'm sorry---" Ana broke off when she glanced behind Mike to see the figure of a female lingering in the doorway. "Got company?" She nodded in Tiffany's direction.

"Oh! Shit! I totally forgot she was there---hang on, I'll introduce you." Mike waved Tiffany over. "Ana, Estelle---this is Tiffany. We've been seeing each other for the last couple of months."

Tiffany choked back nausea as she exchanged niceties with Mike's ex wife and shook his daughter's tiny hand.

"Well I better head off," Ana said after the brief encounter. "It's good to see you smiling again Mike." She looked directly at Tiffany. "I suppose I've got you to thank for that, honey. Keep up the good work. If Mike's happy, we're all happy."

Overwhelmed at Ana's words, Tiffany didn't know whether to laugh or cry but shook Ana's hand heartily before wrapping an arm around Mike's waist to wave her off.

"So Stella," Mike said, turning to his daughter as the car drove away. "Are you hungry?"

The little girl nodded in 'yes' and buried her head in Mike's leg.

"What's a matter honey? You're not shy because of Tiffany are you?"

Mike saw her nod again.

"Aaw sweetie, Tiffany won't hurt you. There's no need to be shy." He looked over at Tiffany for her assurance.

"There's no need to be shy around me Estelle," she soothed. "I'm just as afraid as you are!"

"Why are you afraid?" Estelle said from behind her dad's legs.

"I always get scared when I meet new people, especially when they are as pretty as you---"

Estelle poked her head from behind Mike. "You think I'm pretty?"

"Yes. You're really pretty. Not like you're daddy though huh?!"

Estelle gave a little giggle and shook her head.

"Well that's just charming," Mike huffed. "I haven't seen you in over a month and then you come round and insult me!" He messed up Estelle's hair.

"Daddy!" she cried and slapped his leg.

"You deserved that," Tiffany laughed.

Estelle suddenly became aware of Tiffany's presence again and backed back up into Mike. Tiffany saw her nervousness and bent down so she was the same height as her. "That's a really cute doll you have there. What's its name?"

"She's a girl and she's called Laura."

"Well I don't know about you but I think that Laura looks like she could do with some ice cream. What do you say?"

Estelle grinned widely and looked round at Mike. "Can we go for ice cream daddy? Please?"

"Yes, but only because Laura needs it! Now will you wait here with Tiffany while I go and put your things in your room then we can go."

Estelle nodded and proceeded to hug her doll tight into her body after Mike left her to go upstairs.

"Do you have dolls too?" she suddenly asked.

"No not anymore. My mom threw them all away when I got too old for them. I was pretty sad about that. I loved all my dolls."

"What do you play with now?" Estelle sounded shocked.

"I play bass guitar like your daddy so I play on that a lot."

"Do you play dress ups?"

"When I go out I like to try on all my clothes and then throw them on the floor!"

Stella laughed. "I like to change my clothes too but my mommy shouts at me for making a mess."

"Well that's sad."

"I like playing with my mommy's make up too. Sometimes she lets me wear lipstick!"

"I have a lot of lipstick, hey maybe one day I could bring some round for you if you like?"

"Yes please!"

It was then that Mike reappeared at the front of the house. "I hope you haven't been corrupting my innocent six year old," he warned, placing a kiss on Tiffany's lips.

"No actually I'm not. We we're talking about girl things weren't we Estelle?!"

Estelle nodded and took hold of her dad's hand. "Tiffany is really cool. She says that I can look at her make up one day!"

"Well that's nice of her." Mike smiled and winked at Tiffany. "But anyway I'm starving. Shall we go for ice cream now?"

Estelle and Tiffany both nodded eagerly and followed Mike to get in his car.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading :)

Comment/subscribe?