A Lesson Learnt

Chapter Five

Tiffany didn't turn up to her lesson the following week, or for the week after that, and before Mike knew it, it had been a month since he had last seen her.

He hoped that James would have details on his cousins' whereabouts but he never mentioned anything when they were in lesson. Finally, one week, Mike plucked up the courage to ask him about her.

"Say, little buddy, I haven't had a lesson with Tiffany in a while. Is she ok?"

"Umm---I can't tell you."

"Why's that?"

"She said I wasn't allowed."

"Why aren't you allowed?"

"Coz if I tell you then you'd find out that she really likes you and that she was really upset that she kissed you because that she thinks you would think that she was a groupie."

As soon as James had finished talking, he knew that he done wrong in saying what he had.

"Why does she think that I would think she was a groupie?" Mike asked, pressing for more details.

"I don't know---I'm only ten! I don't get girls!"

"Neither do I buddy---neither do I."

"But I shouldn't have told you all of that---now she's going to kill me."

"No---no---you did good in telling me---and don't worry----I wont tell her that I know."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

The relief was evident in James' features as Mike told him he wouldn't tell.

"But I've got one more thing to ask of you," Mike said putting his arm around his young friend's shoulders as they made for the door.

"What's that?"

"I would like Tiffany's cell phone number so I can give her a call and ask her to come back and have lessons with me."

James reached into his bag and pulled out a small note book. Opening it up, Mike saw that it contained all the necessary numbers in case of an emergency. Taking out his own cell, Mike input Tiffany's number as James called it out to him.

"Thanks buddy. I owe you one."

"Remember not to tell her what I told you!"

"I've promised haven't I? Now get out of here----your moms waiting. I'll see you next week."

"Yeah bye Mike."

"Kids," Mike laughed to himself as he shut the door. "So innocent!"

Opening up his phone, he stared for a while at Tiffany's number before taking a breath and pressing the dial key.

It rang three times before anyone answered.

"Hello?" came Tiffany's confused tone.

"Hey Tiffany it's me."

"Who's me?"

"Mike."

"Mike!" Her tone was panicked. "Umm---how'd you get my number? Why are you calling me?"

"Never mind how I got your number but I'm just calling to check if you were ok---we haven't had a lesson in a while so I was wondering if you needed my service any more?"

"Well umm---you see---umm---I've been busy lately and have been flooded with work. I was going to call and tell you but I didn't have your number."
Mike grinned at her lies. "So are you still wanting lessons with me? Coz if your not---"

"Yes---yes I do---I've finished my work now. I'll be fine for a lesson on Wednesday."

"So tomorrow then?" Mike was pleasantly surprised at the way she had cut him off.

"Yeah tomorrow. Same time as usual?"

"Yeah."

"Well ok then. See you tomorrow."

"Bye Tiffany."

Mike thought his heart was going to beat right out of his chest as he hung up. He knew he had sounded confident on the phone, when really he felt sick with nervousness.

He decided that yet again he would have to ask his best friend for advice. Grabbing his keys, he decided that he would pay Billie a visit.

---

"Beej---are you there?" Mike called opening Billie's front door.

"Yeah I'll be right there---just CLEANING UP!"

Mike laughed at Billie's brash attitude and went and seated himself in his living room.

"Hey Joey, hey Jake," he said to Billie's two young sons, who were both engrossed in a video game. They grunted in reply so Mike didn't bother pressing the conversation further.

"Dads upstairs humping mom," Joey suddenly said, becoming aware of Mike's presence.

"Umm---pardon?" Mike laughed.

"He thinks I'm stupid and that I don't know what he and mom are doing---they're having sex---I HAVE watched the videos you know!"

"And what videos would they be Joseph Marciano Armstrong?" Billie's voice boomed from behind them.

Mike had to fight to keep a straight face as Joe's cheeks burned a bright red colour.

"N-nothing dad," he stammered.

"What did I tell you about making stuff up?"

"B-but dad I was only joking around!"

Billie stood looking ashen faced at his son for a minute more before breaking into a smile. "Just watch your mouth---your mom doesn't want to think your all grown up just yet!"

"I will dad."

"So Mikey---what's up?"

"Tiffany."

Billie laughed and signalled for Mike to follow him into the kitchen.

"Damn it what have you done now?"

"Well you know how I told you that we kissed and then she hasn't been coming to lessons---well I asked her cousin today and he said its coz she likes me."

"Yeah---you already knew that."

"Well yeah---but now I know for sure and he also said that she didn't want me to think of her as a groupie---so now I'm shit scared she thinks that I only want one thing."

"Well---what's wrong with that?!"

"Billie! I'm serious! I like this girl ok! More than I've liked any girl since Ana and I divorced."

"I know dude---I was just kidding. Listen to me---you like her, she likes you, there's no problem there. You're thinking way too much into things. It's time you let your hair down and had a good time! When are you gonna see her again?"

"Tomorrow for her lesson."

"Well just act like nothing happened---get the lesson out of the way---then say that you need to talk to her once you've finished. That way the lesson is easy but yet you still clear things up."

"And when we talk what do we talk about?"

"Jesus of Suburbia Mike! I can't do this for you! I wish I could coz that way you'd DEFINITLEY get sex but I can't! Just go with the flow. Tell her how you feel."

Mike had to laugh at how childlike he was being. Billie picked up on the hint and too started laughing.

"What're you like?" Billie said, pulling Mike into a hug. "A thirty year old asking for relationship advice! I ought to charge you for the amount of advice I've given you!"

"Hell, I'd be fucking stone broke! Let's keep it for free."

"You cheeky bastard! Now come on---its time for Tom and Jerry!"

With that the two grown men strolled back into the living room and joined Joey and Jake in watching cartoons.

---
Tiffany arrived at two o' clock sharp. Mike was somewhat nervous as he let her into his house, but he discarded the feeling and lead her down the hall to the music room.

"So how have you been?" he asked, trying to be as normal as possible.

"Good. John and I moved in together and I got promoted to the floor manager at the library---"

"So you have been busy!"

"Yeah---real bad."

An awkward silence fell upon the two of them; neither knew quite what to say next.

"So umm---shall we get started?" Mike finally asked.

"No---not yet. We need to talk."

'Shit,' he thought to himself. 'That was supposed to be my line.' "W-what about?" he stammered.

"You know what about Mike. The kiss."

"Oh that. It was nothing. Forget about it."

"So it was nothing to you?"

"Yeah---a silly mistake. Let's just leave it in the past and get on with the lesson."

'Damn it, damn it!' he thought. It was not what he had meant to say at all. Mike turned away to pick up his bass and when he turned back to face Tiffany, her eyes were full to the brim with tears. "What'd I do?"

"I-I at least th-thought that the kiss w-would have meant something to you---even if it was a mistake."

Mike became panicked at her sobs and hurriedly discarded his bass to go and give her a hug.
Guilt rose inside of him as she gripped tightly onto his shirt. After a couple of minutes she pulled away and wiped her eyes.

"I-I'm sorry. That was silly of me."

"No it wasn't---" Mike took hold of one of her wrists and pulled her back into him again. "Did the kiss mean something to you?" he asked softly.

She shook her head in 'no'.

"That's a lie---"

"How would you know?"

"Coz I've been told something completely different---"

"Dammit James!"

"So---did the kiss mean something to you?"

"Did it mean something to you?"

"To be truthful Tiffany yes it did---I hadn't kissed a girl in that way since I divorced my wife. I haven't felt this way in a long time. You're the first girl in a while that I've WANTED to get excited about---"

Tiffany stood agape at Mike's confession. He took the opportunity to bend down and kiss her softly. As he pulled away, he saw a smile creep onto her face.

"What?"

"Nothing---I just hope you don't charge extra for this!"

"For what?"

In reply she grabbed hold of his shirt and pulled him back into her. They both became engaged in a furious tongue war before they fell backwards onto the floor. The heated kissing continued as the pair of them removed each others' clothes. It wasn't before long that they were grinding together in passion.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's actually upsetting that this story isn't getting as many readers as it did on Quizilla.

Poor Mike.

Comments would make him happy again...??!