Status: only a few chapters left

Kill Me.

23.

Callum frowned, feeling an odd warmth next to him and assaulting his eyes. He opened his eye just slightly only to shut it once more, the sunlight blaring into his sleep-sensitive pupil. Angling himself so he was less likely to be blinded he reopened his eyes and raised an eyebrow when he saw Lee lying next to him. He couldn’t help but smile at the sight.

The boy was clutching onto the blanket desperately, just the top half of his head peeking out from under it. Callum could feel the warmth of the boy’s body curled against his own, his thin toes grasping at his leg. He held in a laugh, noticing how chaotic Lee’s hair was splayed across the bed.

Hearing his phone ring he cursed, realizing it must have been what had woken him up. He quickly reached behind him to turn off the sound so it wouldn’t wake Lee before checking the caller ID. It was an alarm he realized, telling him to wake up and go see his mother. Holding in a curse he but the phone down once more and carefully detached himself from Lee.

He pulled on his work-shirt and jeans before kissing the boy’s exposed forehead, the only area of skin he could reach, and walking out to the kitchen. Callum scrawled a note to Lee telling him where he’d went and made the boy some hot chocolate should he wake up anytime soon. Callum doubted it as it was only 7 and they had been up late just watching TV and talking.

“Mom, hey,” Callum said as soon as he walked reached the table at the local Denny’s. Carrie was giving him a stern glare as he sat down after giving his mom a brief hug. “Hey Carrie,” he kissed her cheek reluctantly, knowing it was what was expected of him.

“Where were you?” she demanded. “We’ve been here for thirty minutes and you didn’t even have the decency to call?” Carrie snapped.

“Carrie dear. He’s here now and that’s what is important,” their mother said, smiling. “How’ve you been since we last talked hon?”

“Good, work is going really well. Lee really stepped up and he usually ends up helping me with all the other work no one else does. I actually get out on time a lot these days.”

“That’s wonderful. You always worked too hard there.” She paused when the waiter came over and they ordered, Callum quickly just deciding on some pancakes so that his sister wouldn’t be further annoyed by his lateness.

“So why were you late?” Carrie asked, eyes sparkling when she asked. He sighed. He really shouldn’t have mentioned Lee in her presence. She didn’t even know they’d been together for a month.

“I was at Lee’s,” he said after a moment, deciding not to bother with lying. It wasn’t like he was ashamed of the boy.

“Really now?” Carrie said, eyebrow raised and looking entirely too smug. “Getting some action finally?” Callum gave her a glare and then glanced at his mother with an awkward smile at her, silently hoping she realized how sorry he was that she had a daughter like Carrie.

“Carrie seriously? In front of mom you’ll ask shit like that? And no, actually not. We were hanging out and he asked me to spend the night,” he snapped, giving her a warning glare. Their mom sat silently, watching the argument play out. She had learned over the 17 years both had actually been together in the house that nothing would stop their arguments.

“Defensive much? God Cal. You really need to get laid and maybe you’ll chill. Obviously Lee likes you if he’s gonna invite you to spend the night. Take advantage of that. It doesn’t happen often with you being a complete asshole and all.”

“Carrie will you just shut up? I’ve been dating Lee for a month now first of all and second, do we really need to be having this conversation? The only reason I agreed to meet you two here was so I could see mom. Otherwise I would have happily rejected that offer and continued to ignore you for the longest time possible. You are one the most immature people I’ve ever met and your slutty friends are-“

“Callum darling,” his mom cut him off in a quiet voice and he huffed, leaning back against his chair.

“She brought it up,” he said, glaring. It was too bad their mom was staying with Carrie for the next week. He really would have liked to spend some time with her but she had opted out of staying with him. He was never home anyway, with the way he worked, but still.

“Let’s just eat and have a good time. There’s no need to get so angry Callum. You always overreact,” she told him chidingly, hand resting on his shoulder.

“Sorry mom,” he said, nodding. What else was he supposed to do?

“It was nice to see you Callum. I miss having you around. You always kept me straight at home,” his mother said with a grin. “Now don’t forget, I want to meet this Lee boy before I leave next Sunday, understood?”

“Of course,” he said, nodding.

“And Carrie is going to be there too Callum,” she said in a warning. He sighed but agreed. “Perfect. We’ll do it at your house then?”

“Sounds great mom. I’ll call you once we figure out what’s going on this week. I love you.”

“I love you too darling. Be good.” Callum nodded, deciding to humor her before deciding to head back over to Lee’s. He had already changed and gotten cleaned up before breakfast and with his routine off, he wasn’t going to the gym. So what else was there to do?
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took a little while to get out but exams happened and my two best friends had major life happen to them this week. I've determined Oct. is just a nasty month. But oh well=] Its up!