Status: only a few chapters left

Kill Me.

4.

Lee commended himself for scheduling his appointment so early. He knew that most people would be too nervous to do so, and that by doing this, he was setting himself apart from all the rest of them. Now, that wasn’t to say he wasn’t nervous; he was, but he’d been waiting for an opportunity like this for so long. He was not going to let this chance slip by.

Lee did his best to keep himself calm as the remaining time left before his interview dwindled, and he tried not to over-think things, because the more he thought about the interview, the more nervous he became, and he didn’t want that. He didn’t want that lump in his throat, the knot his stomach was twisting itself into. He wanted to be calm for his interview, because he knew he wouldn’t be at his best unless he was relatively composed.

As the time for his interview drew near, he gathered up his things and headed out of his cubicle with the intention of heading over to Rock Publishers, where he was supposed to meet someone for his interview. He hurried down the hall, not wanting to be late, and accidentally ran into someone when he was turning the corner. He stammered an embarrassed apology, growing even more uncomfortable when he saw that it was his boss, Mr. Callaghan, that he’d run into.

Lee couldn’t help noticing the way Mr. Callaghan’s eyes lingered just a second or two too long on his body, and Lee fidgeted nervously.

“Why is it that every time we run into each other you always seem to be in such a hurry?” Mr. Callaghan tried at a joke.

Lee forced a smile. “I-I’m sorry, sir,” he said quickly, doing his best to keep his tone polite. “But I really can’t stay. I-I have an interview to go to.”

Mr. Callaghan nodded. “Of course,” he said, waving Lee off. “Well, you be careful, then.”

Lee nodded and scampered away, feeling Mr. Callaghan’s eyes on his back as he rushed off. Lee let out a sigh of relief when he stepped outside and was safely out of view. Mr. Callaghan might have been his boss, but he was beyond creepy, and Lee knew he wasn’t the only one who thought so.

Lee spent the journey to Rock Publishers calming himself down all over again, for the little run-in he’d had with Mr. Callaghan got him worked up all over again. But by the time he arrived, he was feeling quite confident with himself. He had a feeling this interview was going to go well.

When he entered the Rock Publishers office building, he was directed to an office, in which a young man sat casually behind a desk, completely ignoring the folders stacked on his desk.

Lee tapped lightly on the door, “Um, excuse me?”

The man looked up and a flicker of recognition passed through his eyes. “Lee Simms?” he asked.

Lee nodded. The man smiled slightly and waved Lee into the office. Lee sat down in the chair on the opposite side of the desk from the man.

“I’m Callum Stone,” he introduced himself, holding his hand out for Lee to shake. “I’ll be interviewing you today.”

Lee shook Callum’s hand politely and the interview proceeded from there. Callum sat back in his chair in an almost lazy way and his tone was casual, and Lee instantly felt more comfortable, no longer nervous at all. He answered the questions Callum asked him easily and at the interview when Callum nodded to himself, Lee knew he must’ve done well.

“Well, Lee,” Callum said. “I’ve taken a look at your portfolio, and your work is impressive.” Callum smiled. “You’re hired.”

Lee’s face broke out into a wide grin, and he had to stop himself from bouncing up and down with excitement.

“Really?” he asked elatedly.

Callum nodded, that half-smirk half-smile still set on his lips. “Sure,” he shrugged. “Just be here by seven tomorrow morning and I’ll show you around. After that, you can get to work. And I understand you’re taking on the murder story?”

Lee nodded enthusiastically.

“Good,” Callum muttered, more to himself than Lee. “The idiots working on that story now haven’t been able to get any new information in too long.” He looked Lee dead in the eye, “I can expect more of you than that, I hope.”

Lee nodded again, “Of course.”

“Alright then,” Callum said, standing from his chair to show Lee to the door. “I’ll see you tomorrow. Welcome aboard, Lee.”

Lee thanked Callum, and the instant the door closed behind him and Callum could no longer see Lee, Lee let that wide, goofy grin that he’d been holding back break out on his face. He clapped a hand over his mouth to cover the laughter that was bubbling up to his lips. He was acting silly and he knew it, but he couldn’t help it. He was just so excited.
♠ ♠ ♠
Uhm, so hi there. I'm Sunny. I'm the new co-author of this story :] Luna and I will be finishing it together.
I apologize if this chapter's not the best; I'm trying to get into the swing of things with this story.
We really hope some of you guys are still interested in reading this, even though it's been like what, seven months since it was last updated?
Yeahh..... We'll try not to let that happen again.
comment & subscribe?