Status: only a few chapters left

Kill Me.

5.

As Lee shut the door to his office Callum let out a sigh. At least that was over now. The boy wasn't near as dreadful as he had been imagining, though he was still a little too perky considering how early it was. Lee had seemed fairly intelligent, so Callum was hopeful. A quick day of showing him around and the boy should be fine on his own. This whole new-kid thing was definitely not in his job description.

He frowned when he heard a sudden excited giggle before they were abruptly ended and he reassessed his opinion of Lee. Way too perky. With that kind of excitement, at least that meant the boy would be enthusiastic about his work. Sighing he turned his thoughts away from the newest Rock-Sun employee and back to the mound of paper work taunting him. Damn he hated his job sometimes.

A quiet knock on his office door was enough to confuse Callum in his sleep-deprived state. For some reason he hadn't slept well at all. He could only imagine it was the nightmares that always plagued him lately. When he called for the person to enter he was met with a lanky boy who seemed to practically bounce into the room. Christ. He was going to kill this kid before the day ended.

"Hey Mr. Stone! Good morning. I wasn't sure what you liked but I brought you some coffee with a little sugar and milk." The writer placed one of the cups on his desk, unknowingly putting it on a stack of papers. Callum cursed as the cup started to spill, grabbing it just in time. Only a few drops fell onto the reports he had been typing for the last two days. "I'm sorry! I didn't-" Lee stopped talking at the icy glare Callum gave him. Callum had to hold back a smirk at the way Lee seemed to actually shrink.

"Come on. Thanks for the coffee," he said as he stood up, taking mercy on the boy. Lee's smile was suddenly back in place and the excitement was almost dripping out of his every movement. His hazel eyes, which Callum noticed had a fair amount of green to them, were wide and alert.

"So, where to start…" Callum questioned, talking to himself. "Rules first. Do your job. We don't need yet another slacker in this place. Be respectful. If you have an interview or a meeting with anyone wear something decent that day, especially to meet those not with Rock-Sun. What you have on is fine otherwise," he told Lee and the boy visibly relaxed. "Call me Callum. We're the same age and its weird to hear myself being called mister. Bryce is a good guy but don't piss him off. That's it until I thnk of more."

"Yes sir," Lee chirped, grinning. "I can do all that stuff."

"Good. Your job is going to be a lot of paper work for right now, probably some trash duty and all since you're new but keep working on your stories and make sure you submit a small article once a week. It gives our editors more material to help you with and a bigger chance to get published. More than that and they get cranky though," Callum said, warning him. Lee nodded in acceptance.

Callum watched the boy closely, taking in his movements. He was excited, obviously, but his movements were tinted with nerves and fear. It was a good mask the boy wore, and he knew most of the bubbly personality was sincere but there was a weaker side he wouldn't show to the world. His As I Lay Dying shirt was somewhat cute on him, Callum decided, however awful the band itself was. And he'd look better without the earring though. It gave his already androgynous appearance a bit more femininity.

"So, just two people talking, what do you think of the killer we've got around here?" Lee asked after a moment of silence, pulling Callum from his thoughts.

"I don't know. He knows the city pretty well it seems. I'm not really worried about it though. Honestly, what are the odds my sister or I will be killed," Callum said honestly, shrugging.

"But he doesn't even have a type! Anyone can get hit next," Lee said, frowning.

"We all have to die sometime," Callum said in his typically flippant way. "At least a killer would give it some interest, something worth reading about it."

"Right…"
♠ ♠ ♠
Yes! Got it done today, even if I've only got 5 minutes left to actually post it. Hopefully any old subscribers that are reading haven't gone into shock from the updates. We hope you all like it! Constructive criticism is always welcome=]
747 words