Status: only a few chapters left

Kill Me.

6.

Callum was quite a character, that much Lee had gathered from this morning. He seemed to treat everything with this sort of “I couldn’t care less” attitude, and Lee was infinitely glad that Callum was so laid back. It would be so much easier working for someone like that than some crazy workaholic.

Lee settled down in his new cubicle, much like his old one at the other office, but this was different. This held more promise, more opportunity, and Lee was determined to prove himself to the editors. He saw a pile of folders already stacked up on his desk and sighed, reaching over to the one on the top and getting to work.

He worked his way steadily through the huge amount of work that had been left for him, finding that Callum hadn’t been lying when he’d mentioned that a lot of the people who worked here were slackers. After all, he shouldn’t have had this much work to do, right?

He huffed and flipped the last folder shut, placing it in the “finished” bin on his desk. Finally, he thought to himself, finally he’d finished everything. Maybe he’d be able to work a bit on that article of his. He turned to his computer and opened up the article he’d been working on recently – the one about that killer.

He tapped his fingers on his desk as he read and reread what he’d already written. He frowned, not quite satisfied with his article so far. It just wasn’t good enough. Not that it was necessarily bad or anything, it just wasn’t something he was confident in submitting to the editors. It was missing something. Lee just couldn’t figure out what.

The problem was, no one knew anything about him – what he looked like, how old he was, heck, no one even knew if the killer was indeed a man; they were simply assuming that it had to be a man to kill so many people so ruthlessly. The only thing they knew about him was his name, Tim McGlow, and that didn’t even give any leads since it was simply an alias.

Lee had done quite a bit of research on the killer, and he couldn’t figure anything out. He’d studied murder cases enough to know that usually, the murderer had some sort of pattern, a specific type of person to go after, something that allowed police to eventually track them down, but this killer was something else. There was seemingly no pattern at all in what people he chose to kill and the only evidence he ever left behind was the dead bodies and blood.

This guy, whoever he was, was really good at this, too good, and, though Lee would never admit it to anyone, it was starting to scare him. He thought back to the conversation he’d had with Callum earlier this morning, about how unworried Callum had been, and Lee shook his head, not understanding how anyone could be so relaxed about it all, because really, no one was safe.

Lee sighed and closed the article, deciding to go see if Callum needed his help with something. He didn’t want to think about the killer anymore; it was starting to freak him out a little. He knocked on the door of Callum’s office and poked his head in when he heard Callum call “come in.”

Lee smiled brightly at Callum, who was glaring rather angrily at the folder open in front of him. Lee strode over to Callum’s desk and plopped down in the seat in front of it.

Callum looked up from his work and raised an eyebrow. “What?” he asked, his voice sounding just as irritated as he looked.

Lee shrugged. “Well, I finished my work, sir,” he announced, smiling even though Callum was all but scowling at him. “I was just wondering if you had anything else you needed me to do.”

Callum sighed and reached towards the huge stack of things on his desk, grabbing some things and holding them out towards Lee.

“Here,” Callum said. “Everything in the blue folders needs to be entered into the system, and the papers in the red folders need to be photocopied. When you’re done copying them, I need you to run them over to the City Sun office and give them to the front desk so they’ll get where they need to be.”

“Yes sir!” Lee chirped, taking the folders Callum had handed him and standing.

“And stop calling me sir,” Callum muttered. “It’s annoying.”

“Sorry, s—” Lee began to say, but he caught himself just in time and corrected himself, “I mean, Callum. I’ll get started on these right away.”

“Great,” Callum said, sounding quite unenthused, already turning back to his computer screen.

Lee frowned. Callum might have been a relatively easy boss to work for, but he was just so grumpy all the time. It was really no fun. As Lee exited Callum’s office, heading back to his cubicle to get started on the pile of work Callum had tossed his way, he left with a new goal in mind. He was going to get Callum to lighten up. He didn’t exactly know how that was going to happen, but he was determined. After all, there had to be more to Callum than just flippant remarks and cold glares… right?
♠ ♠ ♠
comment & subscribe?
We love you ♥