To Make This Town Feel Okay

Just Another Step

She ran, her legs pumping back and forth, carrying her across the cracked pavement. Fear had laced her blood with adrenaline, keeping her from feeling how sore her legs were or how hard her lungs were working. Leaving her inhaler at home wasn’t really a problem, she didn’t need it. Her body didn’t stop running until the old wood door of his house met her fists. She had made it, all she had to do was go inside; inside was safe, with him was safe, he was safe. Throwing her fists against the door, her flesh turned a bright, burning red, she begged, “Shay! Shay, please, open the door.” Her voice was low and rough as it cracked with fear and sadness.

Heavy footfalls could be heard through the door as he ran. Upon opening the door the dark haired young man let out a worried gasp before reaching down to help the tear ridden girl up. “Chloe? What’s wrong?” He held her close as he pulled her inside, clumsily kicking the door shut. “Come on Chlo, I can’t carry you like this. You’ve got to at least try and walk,” His voice was soft and low but held a raspy note. Chloe struggled to her feet on the stained oak floor boards that creaked with every movement that was made. Shay slid his arm around Chloe’s waist as they made their way to the couch. With his arms holding Chloe and Chloe having her hands balled into tight fists of his shirt, his movement was restricted and he had to resituate them both multiple times before settling somewhat comfortably on the sagging couch.

The house was quiet despite the chattering television that told of tragedies no one cared for. Shay sat against the arm rest of the tattered couch with Chloe in his arms, painting soothing circles on her back with his hand. Chloe’s sobs were quiet but shook her body every few moments as they began to die down. “Chlo,” he said her name no louder than a whisper but somewhere in his mind it sounded amplified; almost as if someone had held a microphone to his mouth and forced him to scream it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you guys liked it and if I made any mistakes, I'm sorry. Comments are love and I'll post faster if you comment!