To Make This Town Feel Okay

A Moment That's Held in Your Arms

Chloe flung her head up to look at him, an astonished look on her face. Tears once again glazed her eyes as she threatened to cry once more. Shay looked at her face and sighed, “I’m sorry Chlo, I really am.” He cradled her blotchy face between his hands, “I’m just tired of pretending there’s nothing wrong. I can’t keep doing that.” He looked at her, pleading and praying she would understand.

“I-I’m sorry Shay,” Chloe’s voice trembled with tears and Shay held her head to his chest, cradling her against his body.

“Shhh Chloe, I’m not mad at you, okay? Please don’t cry.” He rocked her back and forth resting his chin on her head. The smell of apples and something like cinnamon drifted into his nose, relaxing him. That was her favorite shampoo, he knew it had to be; she always smelt like it and the scent always relaxed him.

“I am sorry Shay, I just I’m- I’m afraid.” Chloe curled closer to him, so close that Shay had to strain his ears just to hear her. Shay placed a kiss on the top of her head and rocked her back and forth once more. He hugged her tight before pushing her a little away from him to look at her.

“You want me to start Chlo? So maybe it’s not so hard to talk about?” As he talked Shay cocked his head to the side, a comforting movement in this oh so uncomfortable and uncommon conversation. Chloe gave a nod of her head, a soft smile on her face. Shay smiled back, a large grin on his otherwise solemn expression. “Hmm, where to start? Where. to. start?” He tapped his chin as he smiled down at Chloe, his eyes pulled into a squint. He’d do anything to make her happy, make her love him. “So why’d you run here, run for two miles? You could have called and asked for a ride or something, you know that. I wouldn’t have told you no, I never would.”

“Sorry.” Shay shook his head at her apology, “My parents, Shay. They, they’re always fighting; arguing about everything. Everything and anything they can come up with. They’ll start screaming at each other, and then Jake comes in my room and he’s crying, like he always is, but this time he-“ Chloe cuts herself off with a sob as she buries her head against Shay’s chest, her arms tight around his waist.
♠ ♠ ♠
I would really like it if some one would comment because it lets me know people actually like my story. If not I think I might just stop writing it.