My Kaleidoscope

Epilogue

We change, we grow, we move on, we keep living. Even if we forget some moments in our life, the important ones keep reliving even in the deepest parts of our minds. I constantly think about my past and how much I miss it, but then I look forward to where I am now.

I have people who care about me all around. My best friends may not be as large as a number as it’s been in the past, but the amount of meaning they are to me is greater than any quantity.

At the end of the year, I had tackled my own depression and stopped with therapy all together. I wouldn’t have been able to do it without Jenna, who stuck by me even after I let go of Karen, and Erik who became my closest friend and helped me keep going even when I thought I had lost everything. Erik also became the first trusting relationship I ever had. And that was exactly what I needed; someone to trust and someone who cared. I owe him the world for that.

The summer after eighth grade, I exposed myself to new people I’d never picture myself with before. It wasn’t something I was used to because of the year I had just had, but I forced myself to do it because I knew I deserved better than where I was.

I made friends with that girl on the bus that constantly said hello to me every day, because I finally decided it was okay for me to say hello back. I found her name was Layla and she ended up introducing me to my friends I have now.

Though most of my summer I was spending alone or with Erik, I made an effort to befriend a girl I had only made contact with the past year by fixing her necklace in gym. Her name is Laura Bellamy. She and I became friends when we were both bored and decided to go into town, one hot sunny day. We continued our friendship through freshman year and thanks to her, I have gotten over my fear of having to start off fresh every year with new friends and a new life.

I have changed a lot in the past three years and I think I am finally starting to accept who I am. I am glad I have people who already accept me and love me the way I am, and for that I am very grateful. My friends now come in all shapes and sizes, and reflect on more than just one of my qualities. That is what I love best about them. I have actors and musicians, like Dillon and Laura, while I have brains and scholars, like Erik and Layla. And I also have people who will be there to make me smile and laugh no matter what, like Tyler.

Through my hardships and battles, I may not have known who I needed, but I knew what I needed. I needed friends. And like I said in the beginning, I knew what friendship was. That’s what I kept searching for, and what I will always be searching for.

“I’m making it through the darkness
I’m trudging toward the light
I’m leaving your thoughts forever
I’m saying goodnight”
-Kaleidoscope; Krista Jeker, 2009 ©