Status: short story, complete

Scream Your Heart Out

Rooftops.

My breath floats in front of me as little white puffs of smoke, disappearing into the cold of the Winter night. Snow is falling around me, and my feet crunch! crunch! in the white blankets on the ground. I reach the red brick building and smile, my frozen lips cracking. I'm inside in a moment, rubbing my hands together and walking toward the stairs. I go all the way up, past the last floor and to the roof. I lean against the railing looking down at the ant sized people in the street below. The hustle and bustle of the city around Christmas Time didn't phase me as an annoyance, but as beautiful. I listened as the bells chimed all around, the carolers voices faintly reaching my ears, Santa Clause coming down the street on his sleigh. The children shriek with delight and chase after him, their parents getting dragged along for the ride. I smile slightly, looking to the sky. From here, you can see the stars. Anywhere else, they just look like snowflakes. I hear the staircase door creak open and a voice breathes; "Tori," as I turn to look.

"Adam." I smiled in greeting. He returned the gesture, wrapping his arms around me in an embrace, his lips brushing mine. His lips are cold and so are mine, but it just doesn't bother me anymore.

"I missed you." He whispered.

"I missed you, too." I reply, burying my face in his warm chest. He sighed. "I can't do this anymore." I said miserably.

"I know." He said, his tone the same as mine. "I wish you could come with us."

"I can't, not with my mother in the hospital." I decline his offer.

"How much longer..." He trails off.

"I don't know." I answer, closing my eyes and breathing in his scent.

We sit and talk for hours, until I'm sure my buttocks has frozen off completely. But I don't care because I'm with him again and that's all that really matters. The streets are almost empty, besides a few loners here and there, smoking, drinking. I feel sorry for them. I turn my head back to the darkening sky and smile sadly. What had I done to deserve all this? This life? What had I done to deserve him? I look into his eyes. He stares curiously. He's always wondered how my mind worked. I never told him what I was thinking about, so it just made him want to know more and more.

"What are you thinking about?" He asked softly. I smiled.

"Nothing." He chuckled.

"As usual."

"As usual." I agreed, leaning up and kissing him gently. He cupped my face, his soft lips massaging my own. He pulled back, resting his forehead against mine for a moment.

"It's not fair." He whispered. "I want to be with you. I can't leave you again."

"I know." I nodded, pulling out of his arms to face the city once more. "But, what can we do?"

"I don't know." He sighed.

"When my mom's better, I'll come. We can only wait." He dipped his lips against mine, passion surging through the connection.

We're screaming our hearts out on this rooftop.
Our screams of passion, of love and lust.
And I silently pray for this to work.

Because we're screaming with hope.
Through my screams are prayers to God.
Let me mother be well. Let her live her life to the fullest.
Let me marry Adam Gontier without a regret.

Because that's truly all that I want, I think behind my screams.

standing on the rooftop, everybody scream your heart out.